Pot Luck Swap?

Toilet Wax?

LRSABecker wrote:
Toilet Wax?

Well, I'll have two varieties available. Toilet is one, yes.

BTW, you and Frederick pay double for questioning me.

I dub all natural so you can charge me double if you want .

Fredrick wrote:
I dub all natural so you can charge me double if you want .

No wax for you!

I received two PMs with the same questions, I might as well answer here to clarify for everyone, lurkers, and the future readers and google searchers:

So, I've looked at a few waxes recently.

Waspi Premium: Not very tacky. Yea, you can touch dub if you slather it on and press hard, but not all hairs seem to take very easily. Its very white. Comes in a tube like chapstick. If my fingers are dry, or I'm trying to spin something difficult, swiping your fingers over the top is really helpful.

Rumpf: Meh. I haven't used it, it seems tackier than Waspi premium, but still kinda hard and harder to use in its little tin. Darker in tone, sort of a golden brown.

Waspi Super Sticky: This stuff is like boogers in a chapstick tube. Touch your finger to it, and tendrils of the stuff will stick and stretch out. It seems to be TOO tacky, really. I don't really remember the colour too well, IIRC it was a darker, milk chocolatey brown. Comes in the chapstick style tube.

Overton's: Not as tacky was the Waspi super, but tackier than the Waspi reg or Rumpf. Here's the thing, you swipe your finger over it, and it just feels right, its got a good feeling to the finger. Now, HA gave me a hunk to help me nail the formula down, so I'll be tying some spiders up soon with it to get a good feel before I start experimenting.

There's also Veniard's, which I've never personally used but I'm told is quite good. Traditionalists use Cobblers' Wax, which is supposedly very dark and very hard. Never seen it, either. It will darken threads if you use it, though, which some find desireous.

So, for the home brew:

Toilet Wax: Yes, toilet seat wax rings. THe one that goes between the seat and the floor that you press into place. Costs about $2 at any hardware store on the planet. Its tacky, very tacky, and I think that it would fall somewhere between Rumpf and Waspi supersticky. Reminds me of ear wax (hey, I haven't tried that, either!). Now, for $2, you get a lifetime supply, but it comes in a big ole ring. Swiping your finger over it isn't much more advantageous to Waspi regular, and applying it via dubbing needle is uneven and carppy. If you melt it carefully, you could then pour it into chapstick tubes. Or, so I hope, that's on the list...

Beeswax and rosin: This is the mixture you're supposed to be able to emulate Overton's with. You have to melt it down and mix it up, so I need to get a good feel for what I'm supposed to be emulating first, and will be pouring it into chapstick tubes.

There's the breakdown. I'll definatly be trying to melt down the wax ring and make the overton's, so figure sometime in the new year I'll hopefully have alot of excess to be able to share (for a low, low fee!) with the guys here.

Holy carp Becker, your TL;DR made him edit post #99 from over 9,000 words to 10. Winn.

So that is a big 10-4 good buddy on the labels? Seriously. They gotta have labels.

Jdaddy, But then he went and did this

gfen wrote:
I received two PMs with the same questions, I might as well answer here to clarify for everyone, lurkers, and the future readers and google searchers:

So, I've looked at a few waxes recently.

Waspi Premium: Not very tacky. Yea, you can touch dub if you slather it on and press hard, but not all hairs seem to take very easily. Its very white. Comes in a tube like chapstick. If my fingers are dry, or I'm trying to spin something difficult, swiping your fingers over the top is really helpful.

Rumpf: Meh. I haven't used it, it seems tackier than Waspi premium, but still kinda hard and harder to use in its little tin. Darker in tone, sort of a golden brown.

Waspi Super Sticky: This stuff is like boogers in a chapstick tube. Touch your finger to it, and tendrils of the stuff will stick and stretch out. It seems to be TOO tacky, really. I don't really remember the colour too well, IIRC it was a darker, milk chocolatey brown. Comes in the chapstick style tube.

Overton's: Not as tacky was the Waspi super, but tackier than the Waspi reg or Rumpf. Here's the thing, you swipe your finger over it, and it just feels right, its got a good feeling to the finger. Now, HA gave me a hunk to help me nail the formula down, so I'll be tying some spiders up soon with it to get a good feel before I start experimenting.

There's also Veniard's, which I've never personally used but I'm told is quite good. Traditionalists use Cobblers' Wax, which is supposedly very dark and very hard. Never seen it, either. It will darken threads if you use it, though, which some find desireous.

So, for the home brew:

Toilet Wax: Yes, toilet seat wax rings. THe one that goes between the seat and the floor that you press into place. Costs about $2 at any hardware store on the planet. Its tacky, very tacky, and I think that it would fall somewhere between Rumpf and Waspi supersticky. Reminds me of ear wax (hey, I haven't tried that, either!). Now, for $2, you get a lifetime supply, but it comes in a big ole ring. Swiping your finger over it isn't much more advantageous to Waspi regular, and applying it via dubbing needle is uneven and carppy. If you melt it carefully, you could then pour it into chapstick tubes. Or, so I hope, that's on the list...

Beeswax and rosin: This is the mixture you're supposed to be able to emulate Overton's with. You have to melt it down and mix it up, so I need to get a good feel for what I'm supposed to be emulating first, and will be pouring it into chapstick tubes.

There's the breakdown. I'll definatly be trying to melt down the wax ring and make the overton's, so figure sometime in the new year I'll hopefully have alot of excess to be able to share (for a low, low fee!) with the guys here.

Tl;dr Actually did not even to attempt to read lol

jdaddy wrote:
Holy carp Becker, your TL;DR made him edit post #99 from over 9,000 words to 10. Winn.

So that is a big 10-4 good buddy on the labels? Seriously. They gotta have labels.

Huh? I didn't edit that post once. That's all I ever put in it.

You were too high to fish or something.

LRSABecker wrote:
Tl;dr Actually did not even to attempt to read lol

sux2bu.

Was on point, all meat and no filler, a simple break down of some very salient points of supplemental was use in fly tying.

Carry on with your frippery.

Thanks for the wax lesson.
Looking forward to the next one.

FWIW Jerry, the Wapsi Super Sticky is a pale white color - almost clear. It works better for touch dubbing than Overton's, but for anything else, it's far too gooey.

As for toilet ring wax - it's used as a seal between the toilet BASE and the flange mounted to the floor. If you wax the seat, you'll just slide off and poop on the floor. :-D

Ok, I started cranking them out tonight. Without reading 5 pages of standard Becker/Gfen derailaments, how many of these suckers do I need to tie?

sux2bu. Was on point, all meat and no filler, a simple break down of some very salient points of supplemental was use in fly tying. Carry on with your frippery.

Additionally, a tl;dr can only be applied when you are the immediate poster after the too long post that you didn't read. Copy, pasting and quoting the tl;dr is contrary to the precepts of tl;dr.

jdaddy wrote:
Ok, I started cranking them out tonight. Without reading 5 pages of standard Becker/Gfen derailaments, how many of these suckers do I need to tie?

I did the same thing today. 18min, more for mods if wanted. I have 25 tied and ready to ship tomorrow if I can make it to the post office tomorrow.

Thanks and again . . . buy he insurance and go like hell!

Tied up 25 tonight so I am done!

I still have like 7 to go.

I'm in no mood to do this, but I suppose I'm just being a jerk by not doing it.

Wah.

Jerry you are just in a foul funky mood. It seems that many people are right now. Are the seasons really weighing upon us?

nvrmnd

I haven't started yet :oops:

Back