Muskie Flies

nice T-bone, are you using CCG expando Tude or Blaine Tubing?
are you using the a shank or double hook set up?

I have used CCG Expando, Deer Creek Jumbo Tube and Blaines. His seem hard to work with but it says ridged.

Ones I have tried

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1
Have you guys tried the Misfit predator disks?

Misfit predator disks

I think they might work nice with a dubbing brush collar in front with some flashy material mixed in.

I might get a pack or two when I order more holo-heads.

Any trick to getting the reverse tied bucktail to lay more flat after it's tied down. Tried one fly not too long ago and my hair was much more splayed out than most of the flies on here. The more thread wraps and tension I put on it, the more it flared.

Any preference for wire to join hooks in a double or tripple? Something I can just pick up at Home Depot?

for the articulation get Beadalon wire at a craft store. I use 19 strand.

Your using the base hair at the tail if it splays with more tension because its hallow. (a wide flared hair isnt bad either)Thats the hair u use for the rudder 1st lift of hair on the hook bend. Then wrap over top tour capture wraps and take it back to what ever angle ya want. And as far as wire goes I don't leave anything to chance I use 60 to 90 pound salt rigging wire. Breadlon breaks it aint made for tension and lacks the stiffness to hold the loop shape.

First crack at some Musky Flies, my copy of the hangtime optic minnow. I definitely need to get more material. This was what I have for now. It measured out to just under 9inches

60BA5180-D325-4B3D-BE4A-02E83023B830-2807-000003C69BD876F6_zps6c65dbfb.jpg

Heres a couple of my last ones.
59762_596156400395375_1380311118_n_zps86d9a785.jpg

554660_593862880624727_2036687275_n_zps402296bb.jpg

546074_594727613871587_511279050_n_zps99a04b3b.jpg

image-3_zps2c960ccf.jpg

Paco Those look Awesome. How big are they? Are they tandem? After watching Brad Bohen's tying videos on YouTube, I think I got the tying techniques down, judging from your pics it looks like I need longer feathers. Sorry for the many questions, trying to learn as much as I can, I HAVE to catch more toothies, I caught a musky once that ate a bluegill I had caught, ever since then Ive been interested. That and the first pike on the fly sealed that deal.

Thanks......The bottom 2 are singles. The purple and white is a tandem. The all white is tyed on 1 hook in the rear with 2 shanks on the front. And your right the feathers and the bucktail have to be long that's what makes or breaks the fly. My singles go anywhere from 6 to 10 inches. With my tandems and others going over a foot.

Here is another crack at the Hangtime. I picked up some good flash and bucktail, I sorted a bunch definitely notice a difference with a good piece of bucktail with long hair. Still need to find better feathers.
03C06E44-7ECD-41F3-AE2C-15CB0DB4E9FE-5046-0000063DCBF4E234_zps17886796.jpg

i call it big ugly four eyes. couple of jig hooks, and pretty much almost everything but the kitchen sink. fun park, rear shank is foam body wrapped, and the front has a set of lead eyes hoping for the broke back perch theory with a little struggle thrash.

who knows... but i'm gonna try it and all else fails it will definitely catch bass in a month.

Untitled by dj.berg, on Flickr

What I love about musky is the big fly platform. Tying stuff up tweaking it. Getting dialed in and then finally have a fish smoke it. There's alotta latitude and wiggle room to work with designs and action. That's what makes it cool.

I agree Paco, that and you don't have to tie on a tiny a** hook, however still get to be creative/artistic. I can't wait to have a musky kill one of my flies. Can not wait! So close on Sunday with a Tiger.

DJberg that thing looks crazy. You should upload a video of that swimming in a fish tank or something. I'm curious to see how that swims.

Crawdad- if you or anyone else knows how to upload vid from a samsung s3 ill see if I can get it down to one of my favorite holes tonight n shoot it. I really wanna see as well tried in the bath tub but not enough room. Id put it in my fish tank but I think the fish would have heart attacks.

And a huge thanks to Paco, Td55, Brad Bohen, and my buddy Eric. Now Eric and I are caought in this as well....

he's my first ever double hook articulated. at first it was supposed to be perch like, but as you can see wet kinda swings between a perch and a red belly snake.

well that is a one and only time i'll be trying that... damn near lost my phone to the water...
http://youtu.be/7ELLn3fO21M

When in the water that fly will almost look just as full as in the vise. All the marabou will expand and start to undulate in the water and will compress a little when stripped than puff out again on the pause in the retrieve. So it will catch fish

Djberg- that thing shimmies and shakes. Should definitely catch fish. When I move I am going to get a big 55 gallon fish tank to test patterns in. If I had a pool I would probably testing patterns in it all the time. I'm sure that would make the wife happy. Lol.

I think one advantage we have over the gear guys is they can't duplicate what these flies do in the water. You can just hang one of these in the water column in current and it's going to wiggle and dance around, much more natural movement.

Some recent ties. The all white stuff I'm planning more for wipers, but ultra clear water maybe effective. My first shot at Beuford isn't quite where I want it. Not used to spinning the deer hair yet.

65E3ED4E-C247-4A2D-9048-A1F66D8ED562-1235-0000012EBFDC3FE3_zps531bb685.jpg

355E208A-EC56-4CB0-85D0-98DBA27558E2-1235-0000012EB99489C8_zpsb6eadcb0.jpg

E489F12C-6A25-4D34-89C4-A4A4749ED28B-1235-0000012EA76881F9_zps34592a97.jpg

Back