Muskie Flies

I love that black and purple..im hoping to get out to try it before the season is over. One of my goals this year is to get a top water pike....getting a musky top water would be gravy.

As for the material. The triples do take up a lot if material simply because your basically tying three Hangtime minnows. It's not a much material as one would think though because reverse tying the bucktail gives the illusion of bulk. I do buy a lot of flashabou, crystal flash and bucktail..you also need good thread I usually get 3/0 it's very hard to break.

Guys, first I wanna say awesome flies!! I'm just gettin into tying Musky flies this Winter, so its great to have this site to get some ideas for patterns.

On the topic of topwater flies, I've been using the Poledancer pattern the last two seasons. That pattern is fantastic and the fish go crazy for em. Pike, Pures and Tigers seem to love them and they are actually pretty easy to cast. I bought mine already tied, but I'm pretty sure I've seen kits out there to tie them also. Anyhow, good luck to all that are still lucky enough to get out this year.

Hey CPR..thanks on the compliment and the recommendation on the fly. I seen feathercraft has a kit, definitely something Im going to purchase in the near future. That fly is just begging to be articulated..my theory is it will walk the dog real well, and that action on a fly would no doubt produce. I included a link for a video of this fly in action without articulation. They are fishing for peacock bass and man do those bad boys hammer a fly..added to my bucket list!

P.s. the link I added from my iPad and if I click on it, opens in an app so if doesn't work someone let me know and I try on my computer.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=pole%20dancer%20fly&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CDwQtwIwBA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DntogtDr8ri0&ei=Jm6NUtX3BoipqwHAsYCoAQ&usg=AFQjCNFGTvlIK9wC6hXxhiBddiEH5JrKOw&bvm=bv.56988011,d.aWM

Had to look that one up!

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php?store=feacraft&action=display&target=TB056

Wow, that was insane!!! Those strikes were vicious. The action on that fly is awesome as well!

Yeah dude..definitely putting those fish on my bucket list that looked like a blast.. So I have been experimenting with foam heads and here is a bull frog pattern that is based on Bohen's foam popper.

0EA8880C-D9E3-4C6F-AA99-DD7A0B3A0B87_zpsztpo55dc.jpg

07E950F0-1F82-49DF-AC23-1A4BC19508F0_zpsuzaapyk3.jpg

And here is an Alewife Hangtime.

0049A705-6DC6-4DA6-9619-A68657CC5623_zpsybk5qrzp.jpg

C12E598A-A27E-47D6-BF84-587AC486F7DB_zpsleoqjkxx.jpg

gonna have to try some of the foam-head ones...just talked my boss into letting me keep the foam from our Xbox One display, and I think it would be perfect for these...

I pillaged some closed cell numbers/letters from my kids, they are for bath or the pool and my kids never played with them, so I cut them into different shapes I'm still playing with.. Paco said on here he gets his blocks of foam from wasps and they have a bunch of different shapes, I'll buy some in the future...go with what you have I guess. I was going for lower in the water type foam head for the frog prototype so the rabbit strip "legs" hang down in the water.

Yep, when I saw the videos of those Poledancers, I just HAD to get a couple and see how the toothy critters liked them. I always have one rod setup with a black one and the fish really do respond well to them. And watchin those videos again is gettin me all fired up to get back out on the water!

Oh man, I think those things would be wicked as an articulated pattern too!! You guys are comin up with some great ideas. I gotta get my tying practice in so I can start trying some of this stuff.

whew...if you ever want to really screw with your mind, jump from tying 7/0 tandem Bufords right into tying #28 trico spinners...

Haha Sniperfreak, that would mess with your mind.. I could never tie flies that small before I started predator tying..lol I think I found my niche..how the heck do u tie that small, I would need a magnify glass and I'm a young guy.

You do need a magnifier. Heck, with me, even 22 or 24 midge larvae a magnifier helps out!

I have no trouble seeing them at the bench...fishing, however, is a different story. I can barely see a size 18 on the water, nevermind a size 28.

And back on topic, I recently added a 12-weight to the arsenal, so I'm thinking about experimenting with some 10/0's...

by sniperfreak223 on 2013/11/28 4:19:18

And back on topic, I recently added a 12-weight to the arsenal, so I'm thinking about experimenting with some 10/0's...

way to go dude, you have now officially joined the big boy's club. welcome and enjoy that rod.. which rod did you get.

Orvis Access...and now I'm really wanting to try out one of the TFO "Heavy Duty" Bluewater rods (14-17 weight)...

Maybe just use a slingshot instead??? :-o

Congrats on the new musky stick! So fellas I decided to try a different musky tyer and took a stab at Nick Granato's El Chupacabra.
It's tied in a 6/0 hook and is a little over 9 inches.

B6C9F0A4-2BE7-4733-85DC-8C5DF3EF8181_zpszewkl4tn.jpg

Back