Muskie Flies

Paco,

Real nice ties. What material do you use when attaching the two hooks on one of your double patterns?

I think muskys and pike can see some of the uv sectrum. I can count on my hand how many fish I have caught on natural colors. And that's not from lack of fishing them. Most have been firetiger or floro orange and red combos.

Thanks dc, I use wire for my junctions.

I was just watching a show on WFN and they were saying that red and white combo really seem to attract pike which is what they were fishing for. I realize we are talking about the musky bite but worth a shot to test the theory. Would it produce better than other color combos? Who knows! I cant see where red and white is supposed to immitate anything. I think maybe those colors in general appeal to them.

I have seen studies that suggest musky and also pike I believe can see into the UV spectrum. I don't think the fish feed nearly as much on site as they do vibration. When they feel a big fly hit the water they go to inspect what it is. Then the flies push alot of water if tied right as well. With musky the fishing is so grueling sometimes that I think the bright flies are more for the fisherman than the fish. It does keep you interested as you watch the flies glide thru the water. I have my own personal favorite colors that I have confidence in but all it takes is one fish on a certain color no matter what it is and that is your new favorite fly. :-D

Right after I catch 1 on a fly I might as well never fish it again because I'm gonna loose it wether it be to a bite of snag. That's the way it went down this yr.

statistics for you paco after two years isnt enough.........I'd keep chuckin the same fly.........you retire them too early haha

thats a small thread collection in your avatar bilg

Ha he's all organized neat freak. I'm always sorting though the trash on my bench.

Though I would switch it up from the bright colors I've been sticking to lately. One of the area lakes got a stocking of bows in December...

8510993765_4c2fe30080_z.jpg

Got asked to donate some musky flies for a charity that sends wounded veterans to Lake of the Woods musky fishing for a week. They are going to auction off the flies to raise money to do the event. Here was my contribution. A single a topwater and a tandem.

97F42B4F-E4A0-43B2-BDFF-4CB34A79D7BB-1035-000001163A549030_zps9e5e8dbf.jpg

That fly looks good Jay

when and where is the auction.....never hurts to spend money in a good way

The auction is going to be at the muskyfirst.com site. Theres going to have a box up for bid. With patterns Tyed by some well known tyers. Td and I were asked to tye some some up. It was honor to help out.

I picked up some Fish Skull Articulated Shanks and some new colors of bucktails at the Lancaster Show on Saturday. Here are my first two attempts at tying articulated patterns for whatever might bite on them.

Attachments

• Articulated 6.jpg
    Articulated 6.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 3
yeah yeag i like to be prepared haha

Here's a coupe of recent flies

8526169969_d2d8fe92ff.jpg

8499918621_96d22f40cc.jpg

donated these 3 pink flies to Casting for Recovery

8499821386_3cf442f618.jpg

Watch them fish sculls there a rod wreaker. Better belgium cast them. Nice tyes. I love pink, I've moved alotta fish with that color.

I'm not exactly sure when I will use them with a sinking line. Bought them, liked them, bought some more, now not sure if I will use them.

I do like the Holo-Heads though, just not sure they are worth $1-$2 each. I have an idea for them, just have to translate the idea to the vise.

Heres the flys I got done at the Musky Madness event sunday at TCO.
IMG_1034_zps4877cfbf.jpg

My boxes are starting to shape up. I got 1 more cliff to fill up.
IMG_1058_zps50cc62fb.jpg

Very nice ties - as usual.

Question: When you're wade fishing, how do you carry muskie flies?

I have the same large box for muskie flies and it's fine in my boat, but it's too big to carry while wading. I'm still trying to figure out a good system for transporting large flies in my vest. I do have a small compartment box with long compartments that I can (barely) get into one of my vest pockets. Sometimes, if my pockets are full of bass boxes, I'll roll a couple muskie flies into a cloth and they fit under the bass box in my pocket. Still trying to figure out a good system. Maybe I need a chest pack?

Back