2010 Erie Steelhead Jam November 12th - 14th

Rather than trying to PM everyone separately, here's the "Mupear Convoy" schedule. Let me know if you'd like to join it....

We'll meet at the Wawa at the Pocono Interchange (Lake Harmony) for I-80 off the PA Turnpike (I-495) at 6:30 am on Friday. Good place to fuel up and grab some chow for the haul out to Erie. It'll take us between 4 1/2 and 5 hours to get to Erie from there, depending on how often we gotta stop to pee. :-D

That should be the Mupenovear Convoy.

I've been busy at the vice and my egg box has never been more colorful! Bring on the chrome... Does anyone take their tying supplies to Erie or do you all tie a cache in advance?

100_2910.jpg

I've taken my tying equipment with me many times, but can only recall using once in the microtel up there. Wake early, fish hard, drink much, sleep! If you have the chance, tie extras before going. A good day of catching will typically mean I lose 15-20 flies between snags and fish...

PS nice ties...but tie more sizes (and some pale peach eggs!)

wg, that was alot of work and so I am very reluctant to inform you that none of those colors work in Erie. :cool:

Jack - since they won't work I'll just seek you out and give you the box, k? :-D

Pale peach, eh? Generally speaking, all the egg patterns are tied on a size 12 scud hook with the exception of some on a #10 "bait holder" hook that I picked up at BPS. Go bigger or smaller?

Go bigger or smaller?

Yes...my goto fly is a #16 pale peach egg. I will go smaller, even, with low clear conditions. I will typically get bigger and whiter as water rises and gets cloudy. I know others (Ry) who use the larger eggs with success. I think the key is to have a variety and let the the fish tell you what they want. The water conditions seem to dictate what the desired egg size will be.

One of my co-workers, who fishes the Erie tribs a lot, says he ties globugs down to a size 22. I looked at him like he was crazy, but he swears they work when its low/clear conditions. He ties commercially, and teaches the fly tying class at LL Bean. He'll be tying at the International Fly Tying Symposium.

http://www.fliesbygeorge.com/

Ever try to tie a size 22 globug? That'll give you religion. :lol:

Squaretail fishes eggs that approach a half inch in diameter in high water conditions. Must be a size 4 or 6 hook. I don't carry any quite that big, but I do carry some size 6 eggs that are pretty big.

You don't need to reproduce what you've done in 8 different sizes, but I would encourage you to have some a little larger and some a little smaller. For typical conditions that are not really high or super low, I tend to fish flies like you've tied in size 10-14. So I think you hae typical conditions covered.

Heritage-Angler wrote:

I've been in his egg box, and never saw anything that tiny.. He must keep those in the secret stash box.

I'm curious how one keeps a freight-train like steelie on a size 22 hook without bending/breaking the wire.

Alby - thanks for the feedback. I was a bit concerned I was going to have to create different size ranges for the colors I already tied :-?. I can see what you're saying about having different size ranges, but not necessarily every color in every size.

And I'll agree that I don't know how you'd keep a steelie on a hook as small as a #22!

I suppose I've derailed this thread as it originally dealt with topics related to the logistics of the jam. Mods feel free to merge these posts into another applicable thread...

gfen wrote:
Heritage-Angler wrote:

I've been in his egg box, and never saw anything that tiny...

Oh, this is going to REALLY cost him!!! (As I break out the razor blade to salvage the hooks.)

I agree with the pale peach. Looking at your box, the 2 flies in the upper left hand corner look like a good color to me. I tie a pattern that uses an "egg" color with a peach or salmon dot and it is killer. Those pale colors have their time up there.

Check out my blog post on my egg pattern. I use a sz 10 scud hook for that and that is my go to size almost all year round in any condition. I do have some smaller ones, but I love a big egg!

I probably have 250 eggs in my egg box, just to give an idea of how prepared you might need to be for a few days up in erie :-D

i like big fluffy eggs too i only tie from 14's to 10's and the bigger the looser i like em (wait did i jsut say that out loud) it adds translucency i would take davids advice and also a pale yellow and smaller more natural looking incase the water is low and clear

Might be of interest- from todays Pittsburgh Post Gazette.

Hall of Fame angler George Douglas focuses on adapting to changing conditions on steelhead waters
Sunday, October 24, 2010
By John Hayes, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Kype MagazineSmile for the camera. Fishing guide, outdoor writer and magazine publisher George Douglas with a big brown.Twelvemile Creek is stained and rising the morning after a late-night rain, and your chartreuse Wooly Bugger has hooked up with a dozen active steelheads. It's a great day for fishing.

The following Saturday, the creek is low and gin-clear at the same spot, and you roll hundreds of casts with the same fly with no results. A week later, high chocolate water tears through the same stretch of Twelvemile, and there you stand in the brown water flipping the same Wooly Bugger without a single strike.

There's nothing wrong with the fly, and the fish are acting predictably.

Matching techniques to conditions is perhaps the most important part of steelhead angling, said fishing guide and writer George Douglas. Failure to adapt may be the biggest mistake made by the greatest number of Steelhead Alley anglers.

In his new book, "Fish Like a Guide" (Castle Douglas), the 2010 inductee to the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame and publisher of Kype magazine shares some of the cues that help steelhead guides to anticipate water conditions and adapt to changes, ensuring that their clients won't go home empty handed.

"I like to educate anglers and bring some awareness of alternate techniques," Douglas said in a recent telephone interview. "Guys go out and have a big day with indicator-nymph fishing and will continue fishing that way for years. I like to help them to not get set in their ways. Some days indicators are the technique, but other times its tight-line fishing or swinging from a spey rod or centerpin fishing. We promote all techniques."

A Washington-state native, Douglas has "kind of made camp" in Ohio to be closer to the Lake Erie steelhead runs. He has visited Pennsylvania several times in the last month promoting "Fish Like a Guide" and an updated reprint of "The Complete Guide to the Salmon River" (Outdoor Productions), his seminal book about fishing the famous New York waters. At 7:30 p.m. Tuesday Douglas will speak at a meeting of Pittsburgh Downriggers at the Coraopolis Sportsmen Association (106 Coketown Rd., Coraopolis, 412-264-9920, www.pittsburghdownriggersclub.com). The meeting is free and open to the public.

Douglas said his talk will focus on "the mindset of a guide."

"Guides have a sense of urgency to catch fish. The first priority is to avoid getting skunked," he said. "What I try to do is get [the client's] first fish in early. After that I can relax and work toward having that big day on the river."
Organization of tackle, quick knot tying and knowing how to bring a fish back against a strong current are important, he said. But the greatest service provided by a good guide is the ability to anticipate conditions and adapt to real-time changes on the water.

"Basically what I try to do is not rely on the chat forums for calling the shots. When you resort to that it's the same story, 'You should have been here yesterday,' " he said. "I look at water level charts and weather patterns, as well as the forums, and try to get familiar with the fishery. I tried to put forth a formula in the book to help people to anticipate runs so they'll be there on the day it's happening."

On big West Coast waters, for example, Douglas checks the weather charts to anticipate the inland arrival of big storms. Understanding their influence on glacial melt, he makes plans to get clients on the water three days after the rain to take advantage of receding flows and the best runs.

"It's different on Lake Erie tribs," he said. "You want to fish it on the rise."

Steelhead strategy for Pittsburghers often comes down to knowing when to gas up and drive to Erie, and when to stay home. Knowledge of varying drainage rates on smaller creeks east of the peninsula and the mostly bigger waters to the west can help anglers to be at the right place at the right time.

"Being two or three hours out, I'd probably check back in the fishing reports and see how many days after a good rain the fishing was good on certain streams," he said. "Then I'd see what the [cubic feet per second] was on that successful day, and cross reference. That would help me predict where to be and when to be there in the future."

Douglas said anglers in the I-79 corridor south of Erie are fortunate to live relatively close to "a world-class fishery."

"This is a really special place. When I'm speaking in Ohio and Pennsylvania, I try to express how lucky they are to be within driving distance to a fishery of that status," he said. "On the West Coast, fishing the Skagit River and other places, you're hoping for one or two good fish a day. Here, the whole Steelhead Alley region from Cleveland to Buffalo is phenomenal. Whether it's the Pennsylvania strain or the Little Manistee strain in Ohio, the number of fish is incredible."

The Pennsylvania steelies tend to be a little more slender, he said, "but there are tons of them. Really."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10297/1097638-358.stm#ixzz13HuT8oy0

That post gives great insight, not only to steelheading, but to our sport in general. Adaptation is key. Once you find something that "no matter what, catches fish", then you lose, because it doesn't. I remember 2 days steelheading specifically last year that I had a good day. One day I was high sticking with 2 eggs and doing quite well, and another day a few weeks later they produced nothing for me... then I tied on a tandem nymph combo and was swinging them downstream and getting a lot of action. 2 days, literally the same stretch of water, and needed 2 different techniques to hook into fish. Come prepared, and bring a friend, because no 2 people fish the same way. You can learn alot... which is why these JAM's are so great. 2 1/2 weeks left... can't wait!

Ryan

Bikerfish and I "fished" elk Creek downstream of Folly's on Friday afternoon.

Just wanted to let everyone know that downstream a little ways from Folly's, the crick is posted, No trespassing. Cable across the creek. I don't know the distance, but it didn't seem all that far. It is where the creek makes a right turn (facing down stream) and a small crick enters, at the head of a big hole.

I usually walk upstream, but decided to head downstream. Quite a few cars there for a Friday, but the weather was beautiful.

I didn't think that got posted until the gun season for deer, but it is posted now.

Bikerfish claimed that the red leaves fought better than the rest. I disagree. I had hooked a large fresh run (breen leaf) that pulled pretty darn good and I was able to land it.

I left my woolly bugger box at home, also forgot my polarized glasses, and didn't hook anything with fins. But I did see a few including the one that Bikerfish hooked, which proceeded to run straight at me before breaking off.

That was the first time I was up there in a few years, and I think Bikerfish said it had been about 10 for him.

I do not have a room mate for the JAM... if anyone wants to share a room let me know, of if I can crash someone elses room and sleep on the floor, I'll toss in a few bucks to share costs.

BTW... We are good to go for the pavillion at Folly's. Plan on meeting there around sunup (7-7:30) on Friday and we'll plan our attack from there. If you will be coming later in the day, we can coordinate plans via cell phone so pm me with your number if I don't already have it. Looking forward to seeing old and new faces.

T minus 2 weeks!

Ryan

Ryan,

Thanks for coordinating all this! PM sent with my contact info for my group, which should arrive Friday around 2:00 - 3:00 PM.

Hi Ryan - Gotcha covered, just in case you don't find a room to split with someone. It'll mean sleeping on a cot, but at least you'll have a guaranteed place to stay *.

Contact info sent via PM.

H.A.

*No Penguins attire allowed. :lol:

Back