2010 Erie Steelhead Jam November 12th - 14th

Waiting for approval of my days off. Friday through tuesday.

sigheth me up...... im intrested in a cabin with someone but if you commit to this ust to let you know

I SNORE VERY LOUDLY so i have been told but am comfortable staying by my self...

ill be there friday night and saturday and most of sunday

ed ill be at avonia also

BTW, HA I am in for the Friday night drinking (as if that was a question). Thanks for organizing guys.

Im in for staurday and sunday i will also be at avonia for dinner friday. Cant wait for you all to come enjoy some great fishing on my home water hope the weather is good. Anyone needing supplys or info on places to eat shoot me a pm i would be glad to help. Cant wait to meet you guys i will be glad to take a group around with me if anyone is not familar with the area should be some great fishing as long as it stays cool and we get some more rain.

Perhaps a passing of the hat to support this:

Pa Lake Erie Tributary Landowner Appreciation Fruit Baskets

For those that are not familiar with this program. Three years ago a few local fisherman gave fruit baskets to a hand full of land owners around Christmas for letting us fish on their land. The past few years the same group went to the Gem City Outdoorsmen Club, Northwest Pa TU and the Pa Steelhead Association and asked for donations. They each gave us $300, we also received $200 in private donations to buy fruit baskets. Last year we bought 121 baskets and gave them to property owners that had the most visibility of fisherman and parking near their property. If you are interested in donating your donations can be sent to the following address. Pa. Steelhead Association P.O. Box 8892 Erie,Pa 16505

I usually deliver out to the eastside creeks. From what I have experienced the landowners appreciate the baskets and it opens a lot of dialog between landowners and fisherman one on one. Most landowners look forward for the baskets and the communication. Problems are relayed to the Fish Comm.

I'm planning on coming up, probably fri-sun, gonna tent it. I'm also in for dinner/beers friday night.
good idea for passing the hat for the baskets. I've heard good things about that program and this is a perfect opportunity for folks to contribute.
BTW, if tenting, are reservations needed or do they have overflow field type tent areas?

Is the list of landowners that allow access available anywhere? This issue has come up before, and I won't donate until I see the list. I wanna know where all the access I'm supporting is. :)

Last call for splitting a ride from SEPA on friday night. No takers, and I am officially out. The only crews I know of are leaving earlier in the day/week, but I've gotta work all day.

I'll be up the week end, can't wait .

Here is my list of attendee's so far. If you're not on the list please let me know.

Heritage Angler
LRSA Becker
Bowmandjk
mrflyfish
trowpa
JackM
albatross
wetflyguy
RickinPa
jdaddy
flipnfly
bowhunter0131
Squaretail?
bikerfish
tig
ryguyfi 2-4 guests

That's a good group so far. I expect to see a good number of people besides that there also. 7 more weeks.

Ryan

Ryan,
Count me in too (probably).

I'm in. I'll be carpooling with the LanCo/Berks contingent (RickinPa, Jdaddy, etc.). Would reallllly like to get a piece of chrome on the end of my 8wt!!! :lol: I won't get greedy either - just one will do the trick. I want my "hero shot" damnit!!! :-D

We'll get ya into more than one wgm. It never hurts to be a hero multiple times!

wgm we will get you your hero shot. As long as the weather dose its part it should be awsome fishing for the jam. We got good number in the creeks already but need more rain to get another good push of fish. Water conditions are horrible right now super low and clear and fish are ultra line shy.

I need to do quite a bit more reading before the jam to understand steelies, but do the same fish stay in the tribs until spring or do they "do their thing" and then return? Is steelie fishing good from September through spring or are certain times of the 'season' better than others?

wgmiller,
I'd be happy to do camera duty. I'd never fished steelhead until last years' jam and had a blast. Here's hopin for a bunch of hero shots this year.

My understanding is that steel can be found in the Erie tribs generally from Sept through April with prime time being late Oct till ice up. The fish come in and out of the creeks and move up or down depending on water levels. I'm not sure how many actually successfully spawn (probably very few here in PA) or return to the lake. I'd imagine a large proportion are actually caught and harvested but I suppose some may return for multiple years.

Some do indeed return the following year. Unlike salmon, they don't die after spawning. Your second year class fish will be in the 7-8lb range or larger. I've never fished the tribs in the spring, but it's supposed to make for some good fishing with a lot less pressure.

I remember reading a stat somewhere that only 20% are harvested with the remaining 80% being released...

I'm in for Jam November 12th - 14th

flipnfly & JasonS - I could use a little help twisting Gene's arm to make it up for the Jam. He's weakening.... :cool:

It would be a real shame to eat all that pie without the Zackmeister. If he doesn't go, I'll be forced to text him pictures of pie and all the fish we catch. :lol:

Back