2010 Erie Steelhead Jam November 12th - 14th

Thanks Jack. Just found out I'm probably headed up myself. Anyone care to share a room?

JackM wrote:
These fish are gonna be all over the creeks for the mini-Jam.

Let's hope so! No combat angling would be nice...

Dave Allbaugh and I will be up Thursday. We are staying at one of cabins at Uncle Johns.

Count me in!!!
I'd sure like to make this steelhead jam.
What is the local motel numbers and what are the rates? and what address?
I'm a avid fly fisherman.
I'll use a 8wt ....... I know my handle is 1wt, but that's another story!
Could you give me the address and time of the meeting place on Fri Nov 12th? I can Google it.
I live in York, so it's a 4hr drive. I could car pool?

PS- Maurice, are you guys stocking the Muddy Creek FFO creek in two days, this Tuesday Oct 12th?

Longrods forever

Hi 1wt - If you read back through the pages of this thread, most of your Jam questions will be answered.

Google should provide hotel/motel options.

The Friday night meet/greet dinner will be held at the Avonia Tavern at 8pm.

As far as the Saturday meeting place - I think it is at Folly's End Campground's pavillion.

Ryan - Is there a meeting time set, and are we "officially" using Folly's?

JackM wrote:
I was disappointed FarmerDave didn't come over because he claimed to be a better steelhead angler than me and I was hoping he wouldn't be able to prove it.

I'd never make such a claim without first seeing someone fish, but from what I have heard, my wife is probably a better steelhead angler than you and she never did it before.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Whoa - You mean gfen = Jerry?

I've always thought of him as one of Jerry's kids.

sign0004.gif

I'll probably show up, but not sure which day(s). I live only about an hour away and will probably decide last minute as usual.

Bring your wife as I'd like to outfish someone.

If the steelhead are rising, no one outfishes Jack!

albatross wrote:

Don't bet on that. I've caught two on the surface so far and hooked a third. Not on traditional dry flies, but I keep a couple unweighted woolly buggers in the box in the even that I get a hit or two on a strike indicator. Fishing the indicator hatck.;-)

DK...Are you Seriouse?!? LOL Yea no you can't come there is no room and not enough fish LMAO

Here is a link to a Google map showing Folly's End Campground: link.

And a link to Avonia Tavern: link .

albatross wrote:

Never fished for steelhead, after read this thread. I was wondering do they rise alot and can you catch them with dries?

PaulG

Paul, they do not rise like trout as there really are no hatches once they enter the streams, but on rare occasions, you can find a fish that looks like it has taken something on the surface. More often than not the "rise" was merely a "porpoising" as a part of the mating or territorial behavior of the fish.

That said, a "bomber" is a traditional steelhead and salmon dry fly (its sorta like a stimulator) and I think it can be used to induce an aggression strike as it is not dead-drifted*, but rather slapped, popped, skated, etc.: http://mrffs.com/atlanticsalmondrypattern.html

Now all that said, I was fishing with TomGamber once and as dark was approaching, we noticed a steelhead trout rise a couple times in the same area. This made me think it was not mere mating ritual, but that it might actually have been feeding on the surface. seeing no bugs, but assuming that midges could be around, I searched my vest and found a small #20 loopwing BWO emerger. After just a cast or two to the general area of the rise, I had it take the fly (sipped) and hooked up legally and landed him with Tom and God as my witness.

I never tire of telling that story.

*Upon further review, apparently they can be dead-drifted.

I live in York, so it's a 4hr drive. I could car pool?

In your Ferrari? Cause that's what you will need to get to Erie from York in 4 hours!

Yep I am I now for the weekend. Think I will take my truck and not any sports car. I come loaded for bear on these trips.

Looks like a great time and looking forward to catching up with everyone.

Back