Trucks, SUV's and 4x4's.........what's your fishing vehicle?

Comparing the years / models.........

2004 Frontier / 70k miles / $12,900
2004 Tacoma / 86k miles / $13,900
2004 4Runner / 53k / $12,100

2008 Frontier / 35k miles / $19,500
2008 Tacoma / 54k miles / $21,000
2008 4Runner / 58k miles / $20,000
2008 Ridgeline / 54k miles / $19,800
2008 FJ Cruiser / 48k miles / $25,000

2013 Frontier / 11k miles / $21,900
2013 Tacoma / 25k miles / $29,000
2013 4Runner / 26k miles / $30,000
2013 Ridgeline / 25k miles / $31,000

Not sure if you even thinking it but be careful with any Tacoma prior to 2012. If you get one with a bad frame, and from a state not in the recall (doesn't matter where it is currently) you are out of luck, seriously out of luck.

Also the frames they were swapped out prior to 2012 (I think) were no better than the orginal and will rust just the same.

pcray’s point is legit about taking the hit off the dealer's lot, at least with Tacomas. It’s probably true with all vehicles to at least some degree, but just exaggerated with Tacomas and other vehicles that hold high resale value. Real world example:

I bought a 2011 TRD Sport 4x4 DoubleCab in the Fall of 2011, out the door for $29,700. I traded it in late Summer 2014 for $26,500 with 27k miles. Depreciation (to me) over 3 years and 27k miles was only $3,200. The dealership put it back on their used lot for $29,500. I’m guessing they ultimately sold it a second time for somewhere in the neighborhood of $28,000…or a depreciation of only $1,700 off the new sale price I paid 3 years prior.

I purchased a new 2014 Tacoma, identical in spec except for a manual trans and the new one had the higher end stereo, for $30,100 out the door.

As pcray said in his example…given the choice of $28,000ish for a 2011 with 27k miles, or $30,100 for a new one I’d opt for the new one.

Kray – If you’re looking at possibly buying a 3 year old or less Tacoma…it’s probably worth the trip to a dealer and have the numbers run on a new one. The new generation 2016’s are out now, so if you can find an outgoing 2015, you might be able to swing a deal.

Smike,
The VIN and Toyota will be able to tell me if the frame was replaced.

Swattie,
Based on price, I'll end up with older Taco or newer Frontier ....just a guess.

Yeah, like I said, when I bought the Outback, it was cheaper to buy new than it was to buy a 1-2 year old with

KBB is not how dealers base your trade-in value or their used inventory pricing. They go by current auction prices.

Conversely, new vehicle pricing (actual sale price) is based off of the floor plan.

And if you mention Edmunds to a used car salesman they will tell you how unrealistically low their values on UCP's are.

Its all a shell game....GET THE MINIVAN!

2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L Diesel 4x4.

ebroesicke wrote:
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L Diesel 4x4.
[color=CC0000]BEAST[/color]

Smike wrote:

Not sure if you even thinking it but be careful with any Tacoma prior to 2012.

Early second gens had the frame issues - '05 and '06s typically. I did tons of research on this before I bought mine.

The frame on my 2011 is spotless at 74k miles.

I bought it with 45k miles on it. Ive done nothing more than basic maintenance to it - plugs, oil changes, gear oil, front/rear diff flush, T case flush, and front brakes.

The suspension was starting to get soft when I purchased it but I wanted to lift it so that was no issue. Shocks/struts can be replaced/upgraded for under 400$ all around.

The aftermarket support for these vehicles is awesome as well. Im not sure if youre like me, but I cant leave anything alone and have never owned a stock vehicle.

I could sit her and praise Tacomas all day

Before I bought my Tacoma, I gave serious thought to getting a mini-van
Ford makes what is called a transit connect wagon. I took one for a test ride, and it was pretty nice. Has almost 7 feet of bed length behind the seats - which would have allowed me plenty of room to sleep. And gets good mpg - almost 30 highway.But I would have had to give up 4WD. And the way last winter turned out, I was glad to still have it in my tacoma

As for getting a used vehicle versus new, I agree with pcray. I don't think you save much anymore by getting something 2-3 years old.
Plus, the way I see it - I get a new truck, and keep it for at least 10 years or more. ( I managed to get 15 years out of my last truck - a ford ranger)
And spend lots of time in it - sometimes going on fishing trips for a whole week or more. It's my home away from home
To me, it's well worth it to get a new vehicle set up exactly the way I want it

I also have a 2000 ford Excursion deisel for when I tow my boat(s).
Or
I'm lugging my poontoon
I also use it to sleep in,if I'm going to sleep over and accommodations are a hastle.

However,on my frequesnt "day" trips to the LR,I use my tiny 2014 Chevy Sonic turbo...it gets me back and forth quickly and inexpensively.

Nice to see everyone staying away from Nissan. I have an Xterra and It's been nothing but very expensive problems. Worst vehicle I've ever owned. The tranny was replaced at 80k. All of of them fail. I think they put the same model back in. Nissan knows about the problem and refuses to issue a recall. There is a giant lawsuit against them.

They were all made with California Emissions equipment. $1000 per side. I've had to replace both for inspection.

I've had many other problems. Bought it with 35k miles. Now at 170k and hope to hold on to it until spring. Fingers crossed.

Maurice, sure a salesman will TELL you that, but he'll also go under it before letting you walk. ;)

Toyota Highlander. Nice ride, plenty of room and great gas millage. I average around 20-21mpg and my highway top out at 27.

I love my Honda Ridgeline. It's a midsize truck and has a cool storage compartment under the bed.

I drive a 2014 Subaru Outback as my primary fishing vehicle. I've had four Subaru wagons with two of them being Outbacks and the other two Legacies. This 2014 Outback is my favorite. It has 8" of ground clearance, all the creature comforts, sun roof, navigation system, Bluetooth, and I get 32 mpg at 65 mph and up to 36 mpg if I keep the speedometer at 55 mph.

Kray, here's my 2cents on this topic.

I have an 07 Tacoma TRD Sport, and as others have said, it's a tough truck capable of any boat launch (Hale Eddy) and then some. There's two draw backs IMO. The Tacoma rides like....well a truck. On long trips it can be a bit of a pain in the A$$. Literally. It's a very tough truck and the ride is an extension of that. I have 150k on mine and it's just like it was when it was new. Second, you have to break rods down to transport, unless you want to hang them out the bed. Other option is to put a cap on it and put rods through the sliding rear window into the cab. For short trips I've used the bed, but on longer ones or places I stop, I don't like have my gear open to the public.

Conversely, I also have a 06 4 Runner. I bought this one for my daughter used last spring w 230k on it. This one also drive like it was new. Same guy used the same dealership where I bought it and had all the service records. Much more comfortable and I can lay rods and gear all over the place. It has a 4.7 v8 and gets the same gas mileage as my v6 in the Tacoma. Pulls the boat w no problem and is just as capable as the Tacoma on rough terrain. Ground clearance is a little lower but nothing that would matter.

IMO...I think the suv is the way to go. Still haven't told my daughter yet that she's driving the truck come spring LOL!

If some of these boat launches wernt such a "goat path" I would seriously consider a mini van. It's hard to beat the room and seating in those things. You could strap the 1 man toon on the roof easy. Plus they ride nice as well.

One piece of advice....stay away from the Nissan Exterra. Everyone I have know who had one started having problems at75k. Trans, diffs, etc. All big $$ repairs.

Good luck buddy. FW

For Sale - 2009 Chevy Silverado 4x4 LZ , 40,500 miles, Bluetooth, Sirius XM . Looking to downsize to a Tacoma or a Subby wagon.

Back