Trucks, SUV's and 4x4's.........what's your fishing vehicle?

Wow. The Taco gets endorsed out the wazoo. No love for Nissan products which surprised me. I was 90% in on the Frontier because it's more in my price range than the Tacoma.

The Ridgeline is nothing more than a truck body on an Oddsey frame. The Pilot isn't much different. Neither have 4x4 chops to crawl out of a nasty spot. That's too bad as I've been driving Hondas since 97. I've gotten 510,00(and counting) on the last 2.

I'll drive the wheels off the old gal but keep my eyes open for a good deal on Tacoma or 4runner. Frontier still hanging on by a fingernail. It seems the 2012-2013 models have very very few complaints. The Outback still holding 4th spot and would definitely have the best mileage.

Thanks for all the feedback. Lots to think about.

How about a FJ Taco ? Could be tasty like a #LinguaTaco

Fishwagen wrote:The Tacoma rides like....well a truck. On long trips it can be a bit of a pain in the A$$. Second, you have to break rods down to transport, unless you want to hang them out the bed. Other option is to put a cap on it and put rods through the sliding rear window into the cab.

It definitely rides like a truck. But with the TRD seats, its not that bad in my opinion. I just put 400 miles on mine this weekend and probably 75 of them were on gamelands roads. Im no more sore from driving than I would be in any other vehicle.

Ive found a solution for the rods when going from place to place, I'll open the back window and let them hang out. Then shut the window right up to the point where its only open enough to let the rod through. I have a piece of metal round stock cut to that I use as a lock for the window.

Similar to this, just cu about 3/4" shorter -

IMG_4260sm.jpg

I havent found a great solution for when the cap is on yet but Ive been thinking about DIY'ing something similar to a Titan Rod Vault to strap to my roof rack

It's tough to beat a Tacoma. I know I ***** about the ride, but it is durable and then some. The Frontier is a nice truck to, but I don't think they are as tough as the Toyota. I have high mileage on both of mine and they still drive perfectly with very little maintenance. I think that is the biggest selling point.

As far as the rod/gear storage...get a cap when you get it. I'm looking for one right now. And maybe a Rod Box for the top. Would make it a lot easier when we do those quick trips and rig/gear up before we hit the water.

I like my 05 Tahoe. Pulls my boat well in and out of ramps. Rides great even with 115000 miles on it. I could fold the seat down and sleep in it and the total room with the seats down is huge. Once took a stove, dish washer , microwave , and other household stuff to North Georgia and loaded it got 20mpg on the road. Not super mileage, but the room and ride make up for that. Plus it's PAID FOr. GG

'08 Civic Si 4 door... suprisingly fits 9' rods with back seats folded down, and can get my 10 footer in there too without having to break it down on shorter trips... it's taken a beating at 130k miles and somehow I've had no steering or suspension issues. I've gotten into some hairy situations with mud and snow, but knock on wood I've yet to be stranded in it... that said, I'm looking into Subaru for my next vehicle.

No love for Nissan products which surprised me. I was 90% in on the Frontier because it's more in my price range than the Tacoma.

The above sentence explains why the Frontier is both inferior and marketable at the same time. You get what you pay for.

pcray1231 wrote:
No love for Nissan products which surprised me. I was 90% in on the Frontier because it's more in my price range than the Tacoma.

The above sentence explains why the Frontier is both inferior and marketable at the same time. You get what you pay for.

I always got the impression that the older 90s Pathfinders would take a beating and keep on running, so I'm a little surprised by the Nissan criticism too. Did they just crap out at some point? Did Pathfinders worsen into the 2000s, or did things go sour with the Xterra?

Pat,

Other than the 2005 & 2006 model years, the Nissan Frontier has had far fewer owners complaints filed than the Tacoma. Those years were a trans cooler issue that you could self remedy for $50 or wait until the tranny got water in it and grenaded itself which would cost you $5-$7k.

The "you get what you pay for" may or may not apply. If I'm looking to 4 wheel all over the planet, probably true. If I buy a new Taco, that leaves me little or no money for fishing trips. What's the point of a new driftboat and new truck if I can't afford to take them to te river? The Nissan (or Suzuki Equator) are only a half step behind in off road ability. Hell, I could just get an old / high mileage beater to take on a half dozen trips per year and save myself $20k. Toyota probably has more aftermarket goodies and a little better longevity. I'm not worried about resale as I will drive it into the ground like my last 3 vehicles. My trade value = scrap for parts. LOL

kray - Was that per capita, or gross complaints?...the Tacoma outsold the Frontier 3:1 from 2005 - 2014. Just FWIW.

More complaints may be a product of more owners to complain to some degree.

In regard to the tranny cooler issue on Nissans…Toyota had a similar issue, perhaps occurring with less regularity, but still worthy of mention on its 3.4L V6’s with automatic transmissions used in 95-04 Tacomas and 96-02 4Runners. The tranny cooler line ran through the rad, and when the rad would go you’d have tranny fluid mixing with coolant and ultimately transmission failure…Google “Tacoma” or “4Runner Pink Milkshake.”

When buying a used Tacoma or 4Runner from that generation it’s always a good idea to know when the last time the radiator was done. If the seller doesn’t know, work that into your negotiations because you’ll want to do it soon after purchase to be safe. You can install a separate aftermarket trans cooler to completely separate the two systems and be safe too.

I haven’t heard of trans cooling issues with the 4.0 set up on the newer 4Runner’s and Tacomas, but the towing equipped ones (which many are stock) come with a separate external trans cooler.

The tranny fluid/radiator issue is extremely uncommon on 4Runners and Tacos. I never had one in the shop I worked at. Other manufacturers have also done the same. Fwiw though, an aftermarket tranny cooler is inexpensive, and easy to do. The biggest pain is dropping and reinstalling the skid plates if you don't have a lift lol

Kray,

If you can find yourself a used Tacoma or 4 Runner on a good deal, (I say good because you never get a great deal on those models), even w mileage a little higher, if the maintenance was done...your good.

My 4 runner has 240k on it. Bought it w 230k. Saw all the maintenance records. This truck is solid and would not shock me if it ran to 500 w little out of pocket. I work on my own trucks so it saves me a little in labor.

You'll still be ok w a newer Frontier. They are definitely cheaper. I've only heard bad reports on the Xterra and not the truck. I wish Nissans were like the older "hardbody" trucks/SUVs in the 90's. You couldn't kill those trucks. Change the oil and weld the hood shut!

FW

Your talking points are not lacking... :lol:

Kray, lot more taco owners to complain. Those ratings have a lot to do with expectations as well. If they are less, less people complain.

You get what you pay for was not intended to say you should spend more money. Price is a valid criteria, just like longevity, power, handling, 4x4 system, etc. Only you can rank importance.

As for resale value, you do care, if you're buying used.

P.s. The Colorado is worth a look in the midsize trucks segment, especially the new platform. Reliability is likely good, with resale value bad (which is good for you if you intend to buy used and drive the wheels off).

The Chevy wins virtually every measurable (power, towing, mpg, road manners, etc.). Save 1. Off road specs. Clearance isn't impressive (for a truck) and take off angle sucks. A Subaru Outback beats it on both fronts, lol. But if you don't intend to do serious off roading, but need the towing and bed while minimizing the mileage and ride quality trade offs of a truck, it should get a long look.

Wish Ford would bring their new Ranger to the states. Diesel and it kicks everything's arise. But Ford won't sell it here, largely due to our governments treatment of diesels.

Have a 2005 4Runner Sport with the small V-8 that has been pretty much bullet proof even though I have used it extensively for surf fishing and towing. It has been a good vacation and fishing vehicle and I have installed an interior rod rack that keeps the rods handy and safe. With good synthetic oil is still averages about 19-20 mpg and I hope to get another couple years out of it. It you can find one used I think they are better than the more expensive new 4Runners that are little larger and lighter, but are underpowered IMHO.

pcray1231 wrote:
P.s. The Colorado is worth a look in the midsize trucks segment, especially the new platform. Reliability is likely good, with resale value bad (which is good for you if you intend to buy used and drive the wheels off).

The Chevy wins virtually every measurable (power, towing, mpg, road manners, etc.). Save 1. Off road specs. Clearance isn't impressive (for a truck) and take off angle sucks. A Subaru Outback beats it on both fronts, lol. But if you don't intend to do serious off roading, but need the towing and bed while minimizing the mileage and ride quality trade offs of a truck, it should get a long look.

Wish Ford would bring their new Ranger to the states. Diesel and it kicks everything's arise. But Ford won't sell it here, largely due to our governments treatment of diesels.

The redesigned colorado is very nice.
They just started to bring them out last fall when I bought my tacoma.
And each dealer only had a few in stock - which were selling like hotcakes.
So, there was a very limited selection of them at the time - and you pretty much had to pay full sticker price to get one. The tacoma was just a lot better deal for me all around.
Now that they've been out for over a year though, I'm sure they're worth taking a look at.
From what I've been reading, you can - or soon will - be able to get one with a diesel engine

After selling my 170,000 mile '06 Colorado to a mechanic last fall I've been relegated to using my '06 Toyota Matrix AWD as not only my daily commuter but also my hunting, fishing & dog training vehicle. While it makes a great spring & summer fishing vehicle with it's large hatchback space and 30+MPG, it really limits my grouse hunting once the snows set in up in Northcentral and Northeast PA. I did it take it grouse hunting in Maine last October without much trouble but some areas I couldn't access.

My desired hunting & fishing vehicle is a '97-00 Jeep Cherokee (NOT the Grand Cherokee) for a few grand. That Chrysler 4.0L straight 6 engine is one of the best engines ever made and practically bulletproof and most tranny issues were pre-97 which they resolved. Plus, Jeep's 4WD system is legendary too. That's really the only vehicle I want although I've considered a Toyota 4Runner or Landcruiser, or Chevy Suburban 4x4 in the same year ranges as well as the Ford Ranger 4x4 ExtraCab.

I have owned multiple vehicles from both Toyota and Nissan over the years and all have been good to me. Last Toyota was a 1988 bare-bones SR-5 pickup (tank) that rusted away, still ran like a champ in 1998 when I sold it. Purchased a 2015 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X after truck shopping (Toyota, Nissan, and Chevy Colorado) primarily based on a great ownership experience with a 2011 Nissan Altima. Plenty of space, real luggage rack, tows great, excellent clearance, etc. Only downside so far is mpg (15 to 19 mixed driving). I love it so far but time will tell.

Back