Trucks, SUV's and 4x4's.........what's your fishing vehicle?

RyanR wrote:Landcruiser.

YES!

One day I will own an FJ60 with a 4BT swap.

Had a Tacoma and hated it for various reasons, I'm on my 3rd F150. first 2 went 250k+ miles. No problem, except for spark plugs on the 5.4 liter engine, they don't use it anymore.

I actually think the Element is pretty hard to beat, except as you mentioned for towing capacity. I miss mine.
4th gen 4Runner is worth a look, after 05 they got the 5spd auto, and the v6 has a chain. Should hit 20 mpg or better in highway, perfectly capable off road, tows plenty can swallow a 9ft rod, tons of mod options if that's your thing. Just have to watch the rust issues.

Looked at 2 4th gens today.......frames rusted BADLY. I'll keep searching

R.I.P. dear Element. The old gal got traded in today on a 4th gen 4runner. Definitely a more substantial vehicle than the Honda. I think I'll be quite happy and hope the Toyota treats me as well as the last 2 Hondas that served me for 19 years total. The overwhelming Toyota feedback did get me to look at some vehicles that I hadn't previously considered. Thanks for all the feedback guys

In some ways I'd really love to have a larger car. Right now, though, my vehicle (fishing included) is a 2012 hyundai accent hatchback. I really love the little car - got it practically new for a really reasonable price, and it's great on gas for enlarged image no trips back home to see my family. The hatch is super handy for fishing - I can pile my stuff in the back on the rubber mat, and I can fit a couple of 9' rods in assembled as long as there are only 2 people on the car.

No off-roading in this little car, but I rarely find I need to when I fish anyway. The low cost of purchase and 40 mpg highway outweighs my desire for more space at this point in my life.

krayfish2 wrote:
R.I.P. dear Element. The old gal got traded in today on a 4th gen 4runner. Definitely a more substantial vehicle than the Honda. I think I'll be quite happy and hope the Toyota treats me as well as the last 2 Hondas that served me for 19 years total. The overwhelming Toyota feedback did get me to look at some vehicles that I hadn't previously considered. Thanks for all the feedback guys

Good luck with your new truck.

Just my opinion, but if your a guy that is looking to run your vehicles for many years and many miles, rather than trade it in after a few years....Toyota, Honda and Subaru would be top your choices.

Plus one Afish. My next vehicle will be a Toyota. GG

Nice kray! I'm sure you'll like it.

The 4.0/auto trans combo is very nice and reliable. I'm not a huge fan of most auto transmissions in general, but by far my favorite that I've owned was the one paired with the 4.0 in my first Tacoma...same set up you have in your 4Runner. It knew when to shift and more importantly usally, when not to...it didn't down shift 2+ gears when you were only looking for moderate acceleration...a torque heavy tuned V6 like the 4.0 probably helps with that. I also liked that it allowed full manual gear selection all the way down to 1st. Helps with hill descents at speed and getting down steep, slippery slopes at a crawl. I'd often bump my first Tacoma down to 4th or 3rd to tackle some of the paved mountain descents in NC PA...144 into Hammersley Fork or 44 into Oleona for example. Barely had to touch the brakes the whole way down.

Enjoy the new truck!

My favorite fishing vehicle of all time was a 1974 Scout that I bought new and over 14 years ran into the ground. When the inside rusted out (Scouts notoriously rusted out), I covered the holes with bumper stickers. My local garage finally would not pass it during inspection.

I now have an extended cab Ford Ranger, and it is serving pretty well, better than a couple of standard cab pick-ups I previously owned.

But, the old Scout did a lot of things it was not designed to do when both it and I were young.

Sold my 89 Wrangler this weekend. It also was finally too rotten to inspect. Time to find a new fishing wagon.

2014 F150, extended cab 4x4. 6 cylinder ecco boost motor. The eco boost is awesome.

GenCon

From jeremymcon:
"In some ways I'd really love to have a larger car. Right now, though, my vehicle (fishing included) is a 2012 hyundai accent hatchback. I really love the little car - got it practically new for a really reasonable price, and it's great on gas for enlarged image no trips back home to see my family. The hatch is super handy for fishing - I can pile my stuff in the back on the rubber mat, and I can fit a couple of 9' rods in assembled as long as there are only 2 people on the car.

No off-roading in this little car, but I rarely find I need to when I fish anyway. The low cost of purchase and 40 mpg highway outweighs my desire for more space at this point in my life. "

I found all the same virtues from my recently departed 2004 Accent hatchback. I THINK I miss it.

krayfish2 wrote:
R.I.P. dear Element. The old gal got traded in today on a 4th gen 4runner.

Congrats.

Details?

Treat her right and she'll last forever.

So far, love it. Much more substantial vehicle than the Honda. Should easily pull the boat and the utility trailer around. Low miles and spotless interior. Most importantly, minimal rust on the frame and under carriage.

The gas tank is twice the size of the Honda and that was a bit shocking when filling up last night.

I may be turned to a Toyota guy !!

Attachments

• IMAG2016_1_1.jpg
    IMAG2016_1_1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG2017_1_1.jpg
    IMAG2017_1_1.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG2018_1_1.jpg
    IMAG2018_1_1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 3
Very nice!
It looks like the same color as my tacoma - called blue ribbon?

krayfish2 wrote:
So far, love it. Much more substantial vehicle than the Honda. Should easily pull the boat and the utility trailer around. Low miles and spotless interior. Most importantly, minimal rust on the frame and under carriage.

The gas tank is twice the size of the Honda and that was a bit shocking when filling up last night.

I may be turned to a Toyota guy !!

Well congrats, at least it looks like a 4 runner should look, not the new models that look like a soccer mom should be driving it. That's the thing I find distasteful about SUV's these days, they no longer look like trucks.
Good luck with it.

Chaz wrote:
Well congrats, at least it looks like a 4 runner should look, not the new models that look like a soccer mom should be driving it. That's the thing I find distasteful about SUV's these days, they no longer look like trucks.
Good luck with it.

I think the newer 4runners still look pretty sweet.

http://www.toyota.com/4runner/

Back