Trucks, SUV's and 4x4's.........what's your fishing vehicle?

1998 suburban with 220k my kids made me get rid of it. Go to Lebanon all the time to go shooting with a buddy of mine my kids told me it will break down on the turnpike and the cops will hassle me. Have had a Suburban since 84 1st one had 350k on it one engine replaced. Went to dukes creek in Georgia and all over the Us for AAU basketball for the dau8ghter. I would always go with a burb cant beat them for the money.

dryflyguy,
I think we crossed paths on the main stem about 15 yrs ago and you had a Ranger.

SteveG,
Interesting that you brought up the 02 Taco. I've considered the 02-04 versions before they made the body style change. I've found a few 02-04's with very low miles. My concern is frame rust on a truck that old AND they want just as much as I'd pay for 2 yr old Frontier. I know the Frontier rides better but is basic on the interior.....which is fine. The Tacos hold value better. Hmmm

I looked at Subaru but the Forester was 4cyl. It'll tow driftboat but it would be hard on the motor going over mountains or on rough ramp takeouts.

Porsche? That's 2x-3x the cost of vehicles I'm looking at. It's like I asked what TFO rod should I get and you respond with 'Tom Morgan custom for $1500'

PRO-4X Pathfinder with my lazy rod carrying case.. lol

I looked at Subaru but the Forester was 4cyl. It'll tow driftboat but it would be hard on the motor going over mountains or on rough ramp takeouts.

Forester comes in 4 cyl or a turbo 4 cyl. Outback comes in 4 cyl or 6 cyl. Outback has better towing capacity by a long shot, and more interior space.

We have both a Forester and an Outback. I've been a Subaru convert. Outback's are better in virtually every category when compared to Forester (2010+). But also cost more. And if you're buying used, they have a great resale value so they're gonna be more $$$$ for the mileage than the others you're considering.

It's not a truck and won't do everything a truck does, but if you have to have 1 vehicle to do a little bit of everything, they make a lot of sense.

Most people compare them to Honda CRV's and Yota Rav4's. But functionally, they're not at all the same, and much more comparable to a Jeep Cherokee.

Clearance better than any CUV you'll find. It comes in at 8.7". That's exactly the same as a Jeep Cherokee, FWIW. It achieves the high clearance and low center of gravity by having a flat engine (horizontally opposed). That said, on a Subie, if you do go 8.7" deep into something, EVERYTHING bottoms out, not just a diff hanging low or something. And despite the clearance the take-off angle isn't the best on Outback, it is better on Forester.

Many AWD's are glorified FWD's that can send a small amount of power to the rear only after slip is detected, or below a certain speed, etc. Subaru's are not. This system is functionally the same as many so called 4x4's these days, with a hydraulic center diff. Fancy programming varies the front/rear torque constantly. On acceleration more goes to the rear, on deceleration more to the front, and it adjusts for hills and speed and so forth. Default (steady speed down a level highway at 40 mph) is 60/40 on mine, and it never goes 100/0 or 0/100. Never. It's not capable of full disconnection. That's why if you tow it has to be a flatbed. There are also some tricks you can pull to have manual control. For instance, manually put it in 1st or second gear and it defaults to 50/50 and allows it to vary less from that point. The newer ones have "x-mode" which does much the same thing.

The bugaboo is the left to right torque split (I.e. front and rear diffs), which are not mechanically locking or limited slip. On trucks, most all have an open front diff, but in the rear, some come open with an LSD or locking as an option, and some have it standard. The Subaru's use the brakes to "fake" a limited slip diff both front and back. Keep torque on an axle, while braking the spinning side, and torque gets forced to the other side. It works, but no, it's not as good as a fully mechanical system because you have to spin a bit before it kicks in, thus losing momentum.

Functionally, it'll run circles around a traditional 4x4 on snow, ice, dirt, or gravel. It ain't close. In truly deep snow or mud (approaching the clearance), the Subie's don't got the torque of a truck, though, and you also should have no thoughts of pulling stumps out and such. And they struggle in boulder crawling type situations too, where you may lift a wheel. In those cases, a mechanical locking or LSD is necessary. They do great on sand thanks to the light weight. Nothing beats a Wrangler or an FJ, but they'll sure do better than the Silverado's and F150's out there on the beach! FWIW, the Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee line has a similar performing system, and Compass/Patriot/Liberty come nowhere close in capability. Wrangler, of course, beats em all handily.

The Achilles hill is probably towing. I don't know how big your boat is. I think the tow capacity on the Outback is 2700 lbs for the 4 banger and 3000 lbs for the 6, and it's less on the Forester. Limitation is the car based frame, not the engine or tranny or hitch. I would get the 6 cylinder, though, as aside from towing, the 4 banger is pretty sluggish to start off with. Double it's weight and I'd guess it to be pretty anemic!

Gas mileage is better than a truck and worse than other crossovers, on account of the better clearance and AWD system, of course. Reliability is good. Ride is good. Space is good. Interior is so-so, Subaru generally lags behind it's competitors in creature comforts and sometimes you have to hunt down an annoying rattle or two. Paint sucks. These things scratch if you breath on them.

If I need true truck capability (more serious towing, outside bed, etc.), I'd probably go Tacoma for what it's worth.

2012 Jeep Liberty, use it for fly fishing , driving on the beach. I love it.

Don't laugh but I enjoyed fishing out of my Dodge Caravan the most. Just threw the gear in the back hatch, holds 10 ft rods not broken down, carry many dudes and if it rained just stand under the hatch or pile in the back. Me and Hank slowly creeped the hatch down as a storm got heavier on Little Pine back in 07' I think...Sat there drank a couple lagers and when it passed, we just opened up we just lifter the hatch and fished again. Hank caught the biggers two trout of his life 20 mins later.

Plus you don't see many a clack-a-craft behind a Caravan. Could be a trend setter.

Honda Odyssey Minivan!

I tend to keep multiple rods fully rigged, running up the center - because i am too lazy to break down and re-rig on every outing, and do a lot of tactical lunchtime fishing strikes where time is critical.

only had 1 rod broken from kid stepping on it in 2 years :)
(I don't buy super fancy rods :) )

it's not THAT bad on SGL roads either :)

edit: just saw Maurice's post -- he knows what's up!

I was abandoned by that mini van on Treaster Run. Who moves the van?

Brad,

Buddy's family has a 1 owner 1968(?) Land cruiser we used to use. Was it cool? Yes. Took it to State College and believe we did about 30mph on every hill. Gearing was so low, you had to shift 3 times to reach 15 mph. No way could I drive it everyday in traffic. LOL.

+1 on the minivan votes. So much room in the back with Stow and Go. You can haul lumber, plywood, etc...You can comfortably sleep in the back with an air mattress. I have been trying to persuade my wife to get a minivan for a few years but she's not budging. I guess it has a negative stigma in here eyes. I'm not giving up my GMC Sierra crew cab for a minivan but I think they are incredibly practicable. I don't know about engine sizes and towing capabilities though.

First gen Tacomas are nice if you can find them. Most of them were bought back because of the frame rot issues. The later ones are still floating around like you mentioned, but the price of them is through the roof. They hold their value very well.

My brother had one, v6 5 speed, access cab, 4wd. Decent truck, not nearly as much room inside as my 2nd gen though. Id compare the interior space to that of a Ranger or S10 - cramped.

Another option Id look into is either a 3rd or 4th generation 4Runner. The 3rd gen is the same platform as the 1st gen Tacoma, the 4th gen is the same platform as the 2nd gen Tacoma. My buddy has an '08 that we some times take on fishing trips. Little more comfortable than my Tacoma because of cabin size. Almost as capable with similar performance aspects as well.

Honda Ridgeline because it has the trunk under the bed - great for storing fishing gear and a case of beer.

2013 jeep wrangler with rear seat removed. Perfect for my needs.

Steve,

I had actually looked at an 08 4runner. You have not commented on the Frontier. I think it's the best looking truck, quite capable it Nissan fails to stand behind thier product from what I can gather. Toyota was much more 'stand up' when the frame issues arose. Nissan basically said 'sorry' with trans cooler problems.

Pat has me giving consideration to Outbacks again.

Right now I have A 2007 Ford F-150 with the triton 5.4 . Its my fishing , hunting , work . running around vehicle. But I have to say that my all time favorite fishing vehicle was my 1978 International Scout with the 304. There was no place that Scout wouldn't take me . The four wheel drive system was second to none in my opinion.

I have a 2009 Ford Escape. It's my everything vehicle and I have had it up to the hood in a creek one time covered in ice and we got it unstuck....thing is a beast. Just big enough to take a few buddies and gear wherever you need to go but still small enough to get 20 to the gallon.

1978 International Scout with the 304. There was no place that Scout wouldn't take me . The four wheel drive system was second to none in my opinion.

Heck yes. Those things were bad-arse. Had a gear head neighbor with money who restored one and souped it up and tricked it out. That thing was a beast. I would have killed to own it, lol.

But "practical" would not be an appropriate term to apply to it.

As for the 4x4 system, it was pretty standard part time 4x4 with locking rear diff. I mean, yeah, it's hard to beat that system for off-roading purposes, but it's not like it's the only vehicle with it. Your FJ's, Wranglers, etc. do pretty much the same thing. The rest is about weight balance, clearance, gear ranges, etc. Not to mention tires.

Pat has me giving consideration to Outbacks again.

They're great. Cost is gonna be what you run into. A 6 cyl outback, new, is running well above $30k these days.

You're talking a lot about older vehicles, and not many were sold in 6 cyl, so you won't find that many out there. The resale value is ridiculous, especially for the 6 cyl, and if you're looking at something with 150 or 200k miles on it, you might be talking similar $$$ as more common makes at half that mileage. At that point, if you're comparing reliability, well, yeah, Subies are good, but a 170k mile vehicle is never better than an 80k mile vehicle, regardless of make.

Note that in terms of reliability, Subaru did have one severe black eye. Head gaskets on late 90's through about 2006 or 2007 I think. Reliable in the sense that they'd reliably fail at 100-150k miles, and if the repair was done poorly, they'd fail again in another 100k miles. If done properly (machine the heads, and there was an aftermarket gasket brand that had good stuff), they'd never go again. And it was a $2 to $6 thousand dollar fix, depending who you go to. If a potential buy is in that age range, make sure they were already done and done well.

You can avoid that with the newer ones, but again, now you're getting into real money. If buying new or only lightly used, I can't recommend them enough.

My current fishing vehicle is a beat up Subaru Impreza with 102,000 miles, dents all over (a result of teaching two young ladies to drive) a bend tie-rod and very slightly bent rear wheel (from one of the above-mentioned drivers deciding to play Evil Knievel off a 3' curb) that shimmies over 60 mph.

However, my all-time favorite was my 1976 Ford Bronco with a 302 V8, three on the tree, a "reserve" gas tank you had to toggle to switch over, locking hubs and a hardtop that I could pop off to impress the redneck chicks I had a fondness for... THOSE were the good 'ol days! :lol:

Back