Steelhead swap

There in the mail!! David, you should get them tommorrow or Sat. since they are being delivered from New Kensington PO. Sorry I didn't get them out sooner, but they sat @ work for a few days until I got to the Post Office.

JH

PP. I tied some Rick's Rats fron the Nagy's Steelhead book. I post a recipe here in a bit.

JH

awesome...you guys rock...now bring on the rain...by the buckets full..

Rec'ed the last one yday... got them in the mail last night. Top to bottom, very high quality flies. Good job everyone.
This swap will account for many fish being caught!!!

Thanks again David.

I wouldn't call mine high quality, but it will catch fish, that I will claim.

I got my flies today...thanks to everyone that tied...it is great seeing the different flies people like...who tied the large yellow fly with dumbell eyes...and a bit of flash...what is it and how do I fish it...Looks like egg yarn maybe...

Thanks again...I am stoked!

Boss_Steb

My wife called me to let me know my flies came in... I'm still at work... ohh the excitement!

I got my package today. I am VERY impressed with everyone's flies. I really like the creativity that everyone put into their ties.

I'd also like to thank everyone who took part, both for helping to get my Steelhead box started, and for giving me some new fly tying ideas.

I look forward to trying them out soon!

I just wanted thank everyone for the bonus flies I received for hosting the swap. While it certainly was not necessary, I am grateful...and they will certainly be put to good use this season!
Thanks to all!!!!
David

Darn! I've yet to receive my package...Hopefully today.

I got my flies last night when I got home. Def some different flies than I'm used to fishing for steelies. Some very interesting and impressive flies in there. They are going straight into my steelhead box and will be found by the next guy who finds it in the steelheads mouth that I snapped it off on. The circle of life lol.

Thanks again guys!

Just got mine - they look great. Thanks to David for hosting and to everyone that tied them up. Can't wait to lose everyone one of them up Erie :lol:

I got my flies today...thanks to everyone that tied...it is great seeing the different flies people like...who tied the large yellow fly with dumbell eyes...and a bit of flash...what is it and how do I fish it...Looks like egg yarn maybe...

That's what it is. here's the recipe:

Hook: Daiichi #2451, sizes 6-8
Thread: color to match fly
Tail: Holographic Tinsel
Body: Scrap pieces of glow yarn
Rib: Copper wire
Eyes: large beadchain

Comments:

Tie on the beadchain like you would on a "Clouser" and take your thread back to the bend. Tie in tinsel, go slightly past bend so that it sticks up and not straight out. Take a piece of medium copper wire around 6" long and tie it as a dubbing loop. Gather your scrap pieces of yarn and place in loop. I found that 3 pieces thinned out to around an 1" did the best. Twist wire tight and wrap keeping the yarn behind the eyes. I tie the wire off in front of the eyes and make a tapered head.

Fish in dead-drift or swing it. If you tie it too thick it's easy to thin out. Good Luck.

JH

thanks for the recipe...what do you call it...

Boss

boss_steb wrote:
thanks for the recipe...what do you call it...

Boss

FFJ tied the "Rick's Rats" from Nagy's steelhead book...

I've been out of town for work and came back to find the flies from the swap. Very nicely done guys! I can't wait to put them to use. Thanks again for setting up and hosting this David!

jaybo41 wrote:
I'd be happy to take photos unless somebody else would prefer to do so. Just figured I'd throw the offer out there.

Still interested in doing the photos jaybo? If you could post them, everyone can just attach their recipes / descriptions / notes to the pics. Thanks for the offer!

by David on 2009/10/18 9:13:06

Quote:

jaybo41 wrote:
I'd be happy to take photos unless somebody else would prefer to do so. Just figured I'd throw the offer out there.

Still interested in doing the photos jaybo? If you could post them, everyone can just attach their recipes / descriptions / notes to the pics. Thanks for the offer!

Yep, I'll take the photos. You have an incoming PM David.

Lookin forward to these pics!

Back