Steelhead swap

http://flyguysoutfitting.com/lwssuperjuan.html

JayL do you tie them that long??

Very nice Jay... I might have to tie up a few of those. I have some pink chenille around here somewhere...

I tie em between 2 and 5 inches.

so...can we get the swap up on the swap section above....is everyone in and have they done what they are supposed to have done...

anyone up for round 2 of a mini steelhead fly swap?

WOW..........this is the second swap i've seen y'all do and it's so cool , i haven't joined in yet but i promise i will next time , who thought this up? Whoever it was way to go man , what an excellent oppurtunity to learn and share. GREAT!!!!

I think a guy a long long time ago, with a shirt full of crumbs after eating dozens of cookies from his wifes cookie exchange had a light bulb go off..........

That should do it...all the flies are claimed with recipes...

Awesome, love that super SJW; going to tie those tonight. Boss, I am definitely in for a round 2 mini-steelhead swap.

osprey wrote:
WOW..........this is the second swap i've seen y'all do and it's so cool , i haven't joined in yet but i promise i will next time , who thought this up? Whoever it was way to go man , what an excellent oppurtunity to learn and share. GREAT!!!!

I didn't think it up but I was involved in the first 4 swaps (prior to Jacks recording of the fly recipes and photos) and I still have all the flys that I received in the altoids boxes they came in. Waiting for the antiques roadshow tocome to town to see what they are worth. :-D

Boss, now that all flies are claimed I'm going to compile the information and get it to Jack. Won't be able to do much before next week.

certainly no rush on getting it up...I still have the old connections to get the patterns...

Dave, Not sure if you are up to run another one of these...if not...I will try to follow in your admirable footsteps...

Let me know...I can set up a new thread for a steelhead swap...

Boss

You all will have to explain how this works but if you do it......I'm in.

if theres a second swap im in also....

boss_steb wrote:
certainly no rush on getting it up...I still have the old connections to get the patterns...

Dave, Not sure if you are up to run another one of these...if not...I will try to follow in your admirable footsteps...

Let me know...I can set up a new thread for a steelhead swap...

Boss

You're welcom take it and run with it if you'd like. If you'd rather not...I have no more surgeries planned, so I can certainly do another one.

Ok the file has been sent to JackM to post. I'm on the fence for another swap, all depends on what patterns are going to be selected and the timing.

I tried tying some of those super san juans. I had to twist my chinelle to get it to furl up. They look ok at best. My chinelle must be old, it was freying as I tied them. I'll let you know how they do on Friday.

I'm out on another swap. No time for that right now. Will be waiting for the pics and recipies though.

Ryan I think it is "vernille" rather than "chenille".

I am not sure what that is. . . JayL??

I am assuming it is chenille with maybe with some stiffness. Maybe with a small wire in the center. . . Almost like a soft pipe cleaner?

That would be my guess.

Vernille is the thin stuff, chenile is the thick stuff.

FWIW, you can tie a big fat SJW with fat chenille, and it looks good, but I don't know about its fishability as I've never tried.

Here's a regular SJW from vernille, and an earthworm from the bulky chenille I bought in a fabric store:

4134908128_c7c7c1bda5.jpg

4134901434_afc7dfd985_m.jpg

Back