Steelhead swap

I'm not the expert photographer, so forgive my abilites with the camera. Here's a link to the slideshow:

PaFlyFish 2009 Steelhead Swap

David, you should have the link to the album view. Hopefully we can get these uploaded to the Swap page.

J - sweet pics dude.

Nice job Jaybo...and fast too!!!

Thanks guys!

Here's a few of photos of the swap in progress. The lineup of stones.

Attachments

• P9240047-2.jpg
    P9240047-2.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 2
  • P9240049-2.jpg
    P9240049-2.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 1
  • P9240052-2.jpg
    P9240052-2.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 1
Jaybo,

Thanks a lot for the eagles stone!

I don't know if I'll tell anyone that the birds were the inspiration for it after today's performance, but I will proudly fish it next weekend on the salmon.

Great ties everyone.

Jay: How did you get the perfectly segmented black/yellow/black/yellow wire pattern? That is kick ***.

I have all of the flies tied on on some rigs ready to go...I am hitting Erie tomorrow for two days...wish me luck and I will try to get pics with any fish...fly in mouth...or maybe the net...or maybe my hand...one never quite knows how a trip may end up with me at the helm....

Fish On...Some great pics...you even made my fly look good...and that takes some camera magic...

Boss

JayL, glad you enjoyed the fly, here's to hoping the fish do too!

Thanks Ernie. It's actually very simple, lash in the black and hot yellow wire, then wrap away. You can hand twist around the shank, or use the rotary feature if your vise has it. The first few wraps I found easier to do by hand until you get past the tip of the hook. Just keep putting pressure on it and keep it together, push together as needed.

Boss, these are all quality ties, there's not a weak link in the bunch! I think you tied the Slumpbuster right? If yours is the one I'm thinking of, the photo doesn't do it justice!

I see - those are just right on perfect. I have a hard time making my copper johns line up right and I am only using one wire. I'm gonna have to try that - that is an awesome tie.

hearing all the talk about minnows being the ticket...sounds like perfect slumpbuster time...yes those were mine...thanks..the tricky part is not glueing my finger to the fly...

Boss

I know this isn't a stream report section...but an update from the swap flies...fished 16 mile on mon/tues...water was very clear and low...lost the blue humpback stone to a large fish above rt 5. Had a take and lost the fish on the eagle stone...no luck on other patterns but I stuck to some old standbys like small cream caddis most of the time...Thanks for the flies...

Boss_steb

Fess up Boss...It doesn't hurt near as much to lose someone else's flies, does it? This has been my experience.

Tom,

Sometimes it does.

My entire fly collection was stolen once. They were all given to my by my fly fishing mentor when the cancer wouldn't let him fish anymore.

I still have all of his rejects. I'll never fish them.

Also, on a less depressing note, I've been given flies that I didn't have the materials to tie. Sucks to lose them too.

I know what you mean though. Lost effort blows.

I am stringing the 11 footer up for the first time tonight. I'll give these ties a try.

Thanks for cheering me up Jay.

I was referring mainly to swap flies or the occasional fly a buddy drops to you on the stream. Now if you are smart and tie up a few of the ones you receive that are new to you patterns, it doesn't hurt at all.

I'm thinking of tandeming up every single fly from the swap and see which one is taken first. Yeah it'll be a bear to cast, but it will see who's is the best lol. :-D

Clip the hooks and make a big moffitt rig. Send any and all pics to JeffS.

Just give us all fair warning so we can put a pair of these on:

41kfRBtXH5L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

You can fish it and don't have to clip the hooks Jay... it'll match your nickname. Put it on a pin, and use the moffit system and you're good to go.

SNAGGER!

In a weird turn of things, my centerpinning buddy is the one that originally gave me the snagger nickname. He wrote "fly snagger" in the dust on my jeep at the jam, and it stayed there for months.

Yeah, they call me that in real life too. I haven't snagged one in years, but I was pretty good at it when I was 10 or so.

I don't know...that humpback stone was a pretty awesome fly...hated to see that one go...I unfortunately did tail a fish or two..most came right out after the first run...

I had no luck this trip wtih the slumpbusters....a bit to clear I believe...Good luck guys....

ryguyfi wrote:
I'm thinking of tandeming up every single fly from the swap and see which one is taken first. Yeah it'll be a bear to cast, but it will see who's is the best lol. :-D

That sounds awful!

Back