Steelhead swap

Mine are in the works and I'll update as soon as they go out.

The recipie:

Hook: Daiichi 1730 Size 12
Thread: Black
Tail/Legs: Black Goose Biots
Rib: Hot Yellow & Black Wire-Medium
Thorax: Golden Stone Antron Dubbing
Wing Case: Black Pheasant Tail
Bead: Black Size 1/8

This is a new pattern and is untested, hopefully it produces fish for you guys. Success stories are most appreciated!

JayL, knowing how much you "despise" all things Pittsburgh, I'll be happy to tie yours with Green & Black wire and black dubbing instead. Just LMK. :p

the fly im tying is called the lynx terminator but im doing my own thing with it the recipe goes like this :

hook - mustad 9672 size 8 i used tmc 200r size 14
thread -black
tail- calls for brown goose i used natural turkey
rib- reddish brown hackle trimmed and palmered
side flash - calls for french tunsel i use krystal flash pearl
body- calls for peacock i used peacock black ice dub wrapped
hackle- calls for spun elk hair tied as a collar mine looks more like a hair wing
head- calls for brass bead and peacock herl i used copper and peacock black ice dub

and the original pattern credit goes to len holt

i hope these monstrosities bring everyone luck and dont send the fish running back to the lake lol

Jaybo,

I appreciate the offer. I have no problem getting the yinz bug. If you tie the eagles bug, do me a favor and use some canine dubbing. :lol:

I changed my mind on the fly I'm submitting. It is my cream yarn sucker spawn from the yarn I stole off my wife. I figured that anyone can tie a blue egg with a pink dot (my secret cotton candy fly), but this one's a bit different. I tied them up today and threw them in the mail. They look great when they're wet, and caught my first ever steelhead on it. Hope everyone enjoys!

Ryan

I received flies from Bruno and Boss today. If you weren't excited about hookin' some steel before, you will be after you get these... Super ties guys!!!

I tied up some Slumpbusters...it is a pattern by John Barr (more famous for Copper John). They are tied in a variety of colors and sizes...most I tied on a size 6 but some as small at 10s. Also, sorry guys...had to tie them with Brass...tungsten was just a bit too pricey....The glue is the toughest part of this fly...

SLUMPBUSTER (Olive)
Hook: Size 4–12 Tiemco 5263
Thread: Olive 70-denier Ultra Thread
Cone: Gold tungsten, size 4–6 (large), size 8–10 (medium)
Rib: Chartreuse Ultra Wire (Brassie)
Body: Peacock Sparkle Braid
Wing/Tail: Olive pine squirrel
Collar: Olive pine squirrel

I highly recommend the John Barr book, Barr Flies. The best place other than the book to find a description on how to tie this fly is at www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox

Boss

did you get my ties yet david? I sent them out either thurs or fri last week.

Hey dudes. I had a head cement mishap.

I am scrambling to get done. I am about half way done but my flashabou I like to use for these particular clousers was a casualty.

Sorry for the wait.

Received Flipnflies and Ry's flies today.

I dropped my flies into the mail today.

Instead of PTs, I tied a variation of the Copper John for the swap. The recipe is as follows:

Hook: #14 2XL Nymph
Bead: 3/32” Gold
Weight: Lead Wire
Thread: Red UTC 70-Denier
Tail: Amber Goose Biots
Abdomen: Brassie Copper Wire
Wing Case: Shopping Bag Material (cut into strips), Pearl Flashabou, and 5-Minute Epoxy
Thorax: WAPSI Sow-Scud Dubbing – Bighorn Orange
Legs: Partridge

I hope everyone (and the fish :-D) likes them.

Just about done mine. Brian and I are going to ship ours together soon.

David,
I tied you one of my emerald shiner double bunnies. I'll include one for bruno since he lost a fly box. Size 6 white double bunny with a chartreuse/clear estaz body, white zonker strips, and a few strands of flashabou and peacock herl over the back. It's partially for recon from you guys to see if I should tie more. Of course, I won't and bruno will be whacking them with it when we are at the salmon. :)

jayL wrote:

David,
I tied you one of my emerald shiner double bunnies. It's partially for recon from you guys to see if I should tie more. Of course, I won't and bruno will be whacking them with it when we are at the salmon. :)

Sounds good to me. I'd be glad to put it through the paces...I sense a "fly review" in the blog sometime next month!!!

Mine are in the mail and should be there no later than Monday David. There's a bonus in there for you along with a Philthy Stone for JayL :lol:

Is anyone going to take pictures and post what was submitted. I would love to see the end result...not to mention it might help those who are still tying for their trips (myself included).

Just curious.

Someone usually photographs them. My camera stinks, else I would.

See the past results on the sticky PAFF swaps thread on top of the forum.

My flys were mailed today.

Recipe for Millertime's Emerald Shiner

Size 10 Streamer hook
Attach the Dumbell eyes with White Thread.
Tie in a Pinch of White Buck Tail

Turn Hook over in the vise.

Take 7 Strands of Light Green Orvis Flashabou
Double them over and cut them in half.
Attach to hook Seperating 7 stands per side before securing.

Attach a pinch of Light Gray Buck Tail

Clean up the head with thread wraps
Whip Finish
Cement

Apply White Enamel Paint to Dumbell for eyes
Let the paint dry.
Black Sharpie dot for eye.

jayL wrote:
Someone usually photographs them. My camera stinks, else I would.

See the past results on the sticky PAFF swaps thread on top of the forum.

speaking of that... the last swap was not put on the sticky. The one you submitted the dryer lint sow bug.

I don't believe I ever received photos or recipes for the last swap. If someone gets them to me, I would be happy to add them to the swap pages.

OK, yday was the deadline...Including mine, I have 8 in hand and know of 2 others in transit.
Can the remaining tiers give me an update for ETA...

Thanks,
David

Brian said his are en route.

Back