Paflyfish Jamboree 2016: May 20th - 22nd

Great streams for sure ,usually over their banks and chocolate milk.
This year will be "HUGE". GG

2016 Spring Jam

LINK to short video from the last year.

Attachments

• Paflyfish 2016 Spring Jamboree .jpg
    Paflyfish 2016 Spring Jamboree .jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 8
Skybay great video. Enjoy the video length and camera on JackM. I forget how funny he can be!

Do you have to make me look so dorky? Oh, wait....

:)

I do crack myself up sometimes.

"The spinner fall happens in the dark, so you can't, you can't fish it-- don't even bother-- I wouldn't even bring out a March Brown, spinner, unless you.. llke... unless you are hungry."

That's gold Jerry, gold!

March brown spinner fall does indeed occur after dark, but there is nothing as exciting as having the males smack off your face as you stand in the riffle.

JackM wrote:
"The spinner fall happens in the dark, so you can't, you can't fish it-- don't even bother-- I wouldn't even bring out a March Brown, spinner, unless you.. llke... unless you are hungry."

That's gold Jerry, gold!

You are supposed to leave on a high note.

One of the best days I've ever had on penns was a march brown spinner fall (before dark)......

Right place right time..... Right Alby?

Just made my reservation and grabbed that efficiency cabin. I'm really looking forward to my first time here.

Oh, the March Browns certainly do hit, and fishing is great. One of my favorite hatches.

It's funny, though, because they're the first out. A full hour or two before dark and there they are, hovering like B52's, occasionally chasing each other, and the numbers just increase and increase. They're the only bug you see and the anticipation of them finally hitting just grows and grows.

Then right as it's getting dark to really identify what's goin on, the sulphers suddenly come out by the millions and steal the show for a while.

But the MB's do fall, just usually after the sulphers have already got things cooking and many have made the switch and don't make the change, don't look close at the water to see that they're both there. And they walk out saying the MB's never hit.

So glad you straightened that out Pat.

I think my favorite moment of last year's jam was Maurice's date analogy of fishermen seeing spinners in the air and then leaving the stream prior to them hitting the water.

Involved getting invited up for coffee, having coffee, her saying she had to slip into something more comfortable, and responding "put on what you want, I gotta go, cya later".

It's much better in Maurice's perfect Pittsburghese, though....

He can sure tell a story. I remember fondly his recalling coaching his girls softball team.

pcray1231 wrote:
But the MB's do fall, just usually after the sulphers have already got things cooking and many have made the switch and don't make the change, don't look close at the water to see that they're both there. And they walk out saying the MB's never hit.

I feel like Penns fish are notorious for this. (Not just with this hatch, but others too...the fish are eating something different than the obvious bug you think they are.) Could just be a product of Penns (and streams like Penns) producing good numbers of several different kinds of bugs at the same time too I suppose.

Last year at the Jam the MB's were heavy on Penns, much heavier than the sulphurs, even right at dark. My group kept tossing MB's to rising fish everywhere and while we got a few takes we didn't make the connection that most fish were eating the Sulphurs until it was too late and completely dark. We saw some sulphurs, but wayyyy more MB’s. A couple guys in the pool up from the run we were working were doing consistently better than us, and we ended up walking out with them…they were fishing sulphurs. Woops. Debated on going back a second night to try out the knowledge we gained the night before, but opted for the consistently easier fish on Spring…or easier to figure out fish on Spring, depending on how you look at it. The only bug coming off there in any numbers were sulphurs, and they were eating…well, sulphurs.

Swattie,

Yeah, I was there those same nights, and I can tell ya, there were lots of sulphers. I think the issue with sulphers is that they swarm and fall over riffles. Then of course feed down through the pools. So if you're standing in a pool, you see MB's everywhere at eye level and hitting the water, you don't see sulphers, fish are rising, and you assume MB's. But really they're gorging themselves on sulphers floating down from that riffle above ya, as there's about 10 sulphers on the water for every MB.

I've been fooled by the same thing before.

Yeah that could be. We were fishing a run, the tailout of a pool really. We were right at the old RR trestle footers upstream from Poe Paddy. There’s a riffle just below us, but it would’ve carried any sulphurs hitting the water there downstream away from us. Two guys were working that riffle so we couldn’t have moved down there even if we wanted to. Upstream there is a long slow pool that goes on for quite a while, several hundred yards at least, so we were quite aways below the next riffle up. There was probably 7 or 8 guys total in that pool, the bottom most few being the ones we saw getting into more fish than us. Makes sense, good pcrayin’ bug info for next time.

The tail of that pool above ya is always a good spot. Some rocks on the near side of the stream with a deep run by em. I assume that's where your successful buddies are.

Heck, the head of that pool is pretty good too, big heavy riff with a deep scour hole, fading up into shallower water. But the middle part of that pool is pretty much shallow and flat.

Exactly, we were in that tail. I was standing on one of the two big concrete slabs there on the near side just off the deep current. The two guys up from us were in the pool proper, just the furthest two downstream. They were definitely in the frog water though.

We scouted, and then sat on that spot for a couple of hours before things started. It definitely had all the makings of a good spot. My plan was ideally that the riff below would open up (it was occupied by the same two guys when we got there) and I’d put one or two of our group (we had 4 total) into that riff, just to hold it in case action there was better, but the two guys below us never moved. We saw them catch a couple, but they didn’t do as well as the guys up from us in the pool.

Back