Received new Riverstick wading staff: excellent.

The flared joints on a Folstaf getting jammed is one of the advantages of a Folstaf versus any other folding staff that only uses the tension of shock cord to keep it from pulling apart when stuck in mud or wedged between rocks.

As a Folstaf owner since the days when Joan & Arthur Stoliar made them in their basement in Greenwich Village, waxing the joints occasionally and tapping the tip of the staff or a stubborn joint has never failed to get it apart. I also like the fact that it breaks down smaller than any other staff other than direct knock-offs so it isn't hanging by my side like a saber when it is folded.

As nice and beefy as the Riverstick appears, I've had experience with that straight style joint pulling apart too easily, especially when the shock cord starts to become fatigued.

FWIW - You'll get much more life from ANY wading staff utilizing shock cord if you DON'T store it in a car trunk and ALWAYS store it long term fully extended.

Allowing the shock cord to dry out after a fishing trip will also help to prevent the outer covering from dry rotting. I accomplish this by draining the water from the staff when I get back to the car and leaving the staff broken apart at the center joint overnight or when I bring it back in the house.

If you want to have a staff in your trunk just in case, you will be better off buying an Orvis Ripcord, a REC Magnastaf or a Simms. None of these use shock cord so a hot car trunk won't bother them.

The flared joints on a Folstaf getting jammed is one of the advantages of a Folstaf versus any other folding staff that only uses the tension of shock cord to keep it from pulling apart when stuck in mud or wedged between rocks.

As a Folstaf owner since the days when Joan & Arthur Stoliar made them in their basement in Greenwich Village, waxing the joints occasionally and tapping the tip of the staff or a stubborn joint has never failed to get it apart. I also like the fact that it breaks down smaller than any other staff other than direct knock-offs so it isn't hanging by my side like a saber when it is folded.

As nice and beefy as the Riverstick appears, I've had experience with that straight style joint pulling apart too easily, especially when the shock cord starts to become fatigued.

FWIW - You'll get much more life from ANY wading staff utilizing shock cord if you DON'T store it in a car trunk and ALWAYS store it long term fully extended.

Allowing the shock cord to dry out after a fishing trip will also help to prevent the outer covering from dry rotting. I accomplish this by draining the water from the staff when I get back to the car and leaving the staff broken apart at the center joint overnight or when I bring it back in the house.

If you want to have a staff in your trunk just in case, you will be better off buying an Orvis Ripcord, a REC Magnastaf or a Simms. None of these use shock cord so a hot car trunk won't bother them.

Thats a good point i never thought of, storing the staff extended or put together rather than broken down in the holster. I've always stored mine broken down in the holster but i guess thats maximum tension on the elastic cord inside. Good tip, thanks man

...I've always stored mine broken down in the holster but i guess thats maximum tension on the elastic cord inside...

Yup...

About the only time my Folstaf is completely "folded" is when I walk away from the car when I will place it in its pouch for the trip down to the water...

I own two Folstafs, one that I use all the time and a spare that I bought used for next to nothing. At home they are stored fully extended hanging from a hook. When I head out to fish, I grab the "user" but only break it apart at the center joint.

Because I used to have a small hatchback and I transport the staff just folded in half, I bought some vinyl tubing and cut off about 4" pieces that fit over the end so the point doesn't stab or scratch anything in the back of the car.

I leave the tubing in place when I store the staffs and pull it off before leaving my car. After fishing I drain the water, fold it in half, put the tubing back on and take it home the same way.

FWIW - If you decide to try the "point protection" trick with the vinyl tubing and forget to remove it before fishing like I've done a few times :rolleyes:, so far it has ended up sliding up the shaft exposing the point and provides some sound deadening for the staff against rocks.

Of course it could end up getting pulled off entirely but that hasn't happened yet and if it did, I have a spare piece with my other gear back at the car. ;)

Back