Paflyfish Jamboree 2016: May 20th - 22nd

Keep in mind also, that Slate Run is less than 2 hours from the CG. And Letort Spring Run is a half hour closer.

[/quote]

Some of us enjoy a little extra [d]bourbon[/d] burden. [/quote]

Oh i will have bourbon a plenty....will be needed to sooth my ego when i can't catch any fish....more than willing to share.

FlyForFun wrote:

Some of us enjoy a little extra [d]bourbon[/d] burden.

Oh i will have bourbon a plenty....will be needed to sooth my ego when i can't catch any fish....more than willing to share.

Bud Lite worked for GulfGreyhound and Pro4ormance. ;-)

Well, I reserved a Rustic Cabin like last year. So Grizz'n I are set.

SO yeah....I have to work on Sunday morning. I'm only allowed to miss so many a year, and I'm maxed out :-(

You could hold mass at the jam. Hell, I might even attend that.

FarmerDave wrote:
You could hold mass at the jam. Hell, I might even attend that.

Sorry FD, I'm a Presby so no mass, but I could do an "ecumenical" service ;-) Only thing is, since I'm not ordained I can't administer the Eucharist! Too bad. Someone, somewhere at this thing would probably have some really good wine.

Call it missionary work.

I am a cheaply drinker? GG

JackM wrote:
Keep in mind also, that Slate Run is less than 2 hours from the CG. And Letort Spring Run is a half hour closer.

I drive a minimum of 45 minutes to get to any pleasant fishing at home. I have one or two creeks within 35 minutes that are worth visiting when pressed for time. Generally I drive an hour, and more often than not at least two hours to reach good trout water.

The photo shows what I estimate to be the zones at 30 minutes, 1 hour and two hours from Seven Mountains Campground. There should be no way you can't find good fishable water in those circles under any circumstances.

Attachments

• JamStreams.jpg
    JamStreams.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 4
The_Sasquatch wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:
Call it missionary work.
That might actually work....

The fly tying preacher, Sunrise ceremony, Sunday morning at, well, sunrise. The word of the Lord and march brown spinner demonstration.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:
Call it missionary work.
That might actually work....

Well, if you need a reference, I'd be glad to help. ;-)

Jack, your half hour circle. Yeah, that's way too small. You can make Poe Paddy, or the town of State College or Lewistown in a half hour.

Unless that's walking distance, lol. Seriously, your half hour circle is more like 3 minutes, not 30.

The other circles are ok for rough estimates. Hour circle probably a touch too large, specially to the south.

Seven mountains campground update :

There are no rustic cabins left.
(At least for Friday and Saturday night- I didn't ask about any other days)

There is 1 efficiency cabin left- has a bathroom and shower.

I didn't ask about tent spots.

This is as of 11am today.

pcray1231 wrote:
Hour circle probably a touch too large, specially to the south.

Yes. The Cumberland Valley streams are at least 1.5 hr and probably closer to 2 hour range. To be sure, I have not known any PAFF jam folks who have driven down to the CV to fish (unless they hit those sections on the way home to SEPA).

There's also a ton of under-the-radar streams in the counties in-between Centre and Cumberland that are closer to the campground: Mifflin, Huntingdon, Dauphin, Perry etc. Many of these do fall in the hour range.

The two hour radius to the south is about right. I live just below the bottom of the map/two hour circle. It takes me about 2 hrs and 20 min to the campsite.

Carlisle is 1 hour 23 minutes according to Google. You are missing my point, though, by nitpicking my hastily drawn circles. Within one hour, there are tons of streams to choose from. If the big 4 are at good levels, there is no need to travel more than the one hour, but if not, there are very credible options not too far beyond. Have coffee from 6 am to 730 am and hit the road and you can be on dozens of this state's best water by 930 am.

Looks like I have some research to do. Never fished up and and have no clue where I would want to head, or what to expect. Gonna get a few of the flies originally suggested.

Hopefully I can link up with some people who know the area better. To say I am excited is an understatement.

My main criticism was regarding the half hr circle, which was pretty ridiculous. Lookin at that you'd say no way any major streams were within a half hour. That ain't true as Penn's and Spring both are. Bout 20 minutes to Penn's (Poe Paddy, which is closer than Coburn). Bout the same, maybe a hair longer to Spring.

LJR and BFC are longer trips, but certainly doable.

It's hard to beat the area, good streams everywhere

Back