Paflyfish Jamboree 2016: May 20th - 22nd

Generally, the place is pretty empty during the week. I always just reserve Friday and Saturday then update the rest of the days when I'm more sure.

Okay gang we are on for May 20-22 at Seven Mountains Campground. I would call and make any arrangements for cabins or campsites. Please let them know you are with Paflyfish.

http://www.sevenmountainscampground.com/
(814) 364-1910

I'm going to be working on some more detailed plans for the weekend. It is the 20th Anniversary of the site and want to make it special weekend in some ways for us.

If we're lucky we'll be close to the Green Drake hatch that far into May.

Boo yah!!!

Booked my usual tent site (the one with the greatest elevation relief from Seven Mountains Run) for my usual stint...Thursday evening to Sunday morning.

How about near Clarks so we may honor Paul?

It is about one hour to Stony and Clark's from the campground and the drive is quite beautiful. Even Paul would not call Clark's and Stony destination streams, that's why he had the site at Hemlock Acres. Funny that he coined the phrase FPC and set up his vacation lair nearly on her banks.

Anyone have recommendations for Newbies to the Jam? My pops and I are planning on attending but still figuring out the logistics. Curious if its really that bad for tenting (seen several of you mention flooding). Also how easy is it to access the streams in the area if your not familiar with it? I have been fly fishing for a little over a year now and my pops is pretty new. Any recommendations on what to bring?

FFF - The mention of flooding is mostly just tongue-in-cheek in reference to that many years it has rained at the Jam. It’s mid to late May in central PA, so that somewhat should be expected probably. In most cases at least some rain the week of, or during the Jam is a good thing…from a fishing standpoint at least.

I tent each year…The thing to know is that the tent area is the lowest area of the campground. There’s a normally dry drainage channel at the bottom of the tent sites that after a hard rain can become a small flowing stream for a time. A few years ago it rained about 3” in one night and in the morning the drainage ditch was the size of small Brookie stream. A few guys who had their tents down there had some water in (or at least under) their tents. That said, Seven Mountains has been very accommodating of our group, and if it looks like there’s a good chance of heavy rain, they’ll usually let the tenters set up on a vacant camper spot on higher ground – as long as there are vacant sites. Even so, as long as you set up on the higher end of the tenting sites, you’ll be fine. Most years the only tenters there Jam week are PAFF guys and it turns into a bit of a communal deal with no real “sites” per se. Just set your tent up and come hang out!

For first timers or those concerned about finding their way around…A usual day at the Jam goes something like this…Guys wake up and make breakfast or have coffee up at the pavilion. Loose groups form over breakfast or coffee and plans are hatched to fish for the day…usually into smaller groups at first to spread out and fish some of the smaller freestoners during the day, with larger groups meeting up in the evenings to try to hit a “hatch” on one of the bigger limestoners. Most evenings you return to the campground after dark, cook up some dinner and hang out. There will be plenty of guys who know their away around to both the small streams and the big limestoners and wouldn’t mind some newer guys tagging along. After a couple years, you’ll be one of the guys showing the new guys around! I know that’s one of the things a lot of us look forward to each year…helping some of the newer guys to the site and FFing out.

For reference, this is me being a wise guy the morning after the 3” of rain. As you can see, just don’t set up your tent at the very bottom end near the drainage channel and you’ll be ok, even in the event of a fairly major rain. Made it nice for washing dishes that year though!

Attachments

• Seven Mountains Run - Jam 2014.jpg
    Seven Mountains Run - Jam 2014.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 8
Yes, that time of year in that area is prone to high water. It's what makes things fun. Each time I camped, I took a camper site near the pavilion. Lots of noise, if you mind that, but also a short walk to the pavilion or water closet. Many showers at 4 AM.

Thanks for the helpful answers. I normally go on a turkey hunt and flyfish trip in early may but my dad is insterested in fly fishing but not hunting. So i was hoping to make this our new thing. Also helps with the wife that i can say hey this is what i want to do for my birthday weekend haha.

dkile wrote:
If we're lucky we'll be close to the Green Drake hatch that far into May.

If this winter remains relatively warm that may happen.

Spot is booked! Look forward to meeting you guys and seeing if this newbie can out fish all you old hands. ;)

I'm booked.
Wednesday the 18th until Sunday the 22nd.
See everyone there:)

Booked. Making it a long one this year. Booked from the 18th until the following 25th, in hopes I can get some of that green drake action....

Just got our campsite booked, only 9 tent sites left so hurry up!!

Looking forward to this. I've been wanting to join in on this for years.

My fingers are crossed that I can make it. My goal this year is to not be a fishing hermit but to actually get out and fish with others.....plus I have a ton to learn.

For those that have been before what is the food situation like? Are we all responsible for our own food, or if you want to eat with the group at the pavilion do you buy in? Curious since I have never been to one. I just want to know what I would be responsible for.

thebassman wrote:
For those that have been before what is the food situation like? Are we all responsible for our own food, or if you want to eat with the group at the pavilion do you buy in? Curious since I have never been to one. I just want to know what I would be responsible for.

Nothing formal. I haven't been to many of these, so consider this just an observation. Some people do bring stuff for the Saturday night gathering, but not required. Bring something from home, or just go buy something.

For the rest of the meals, you are on your own, or can hook up with another group. Whatever you want. Fair amount of food around.

Grills are also available at the pavilion.

Nice Campground ran by nice people.

I can't believe I posted without making one single smartass comment.

DOH!

There's a grocery store about 20 minutes away that I usually just stock up on some things for the week. As FD mentioned, the grill is open to everyone, so while you might get offered a burger or hot dog or something, safer to just assume to get some of your own stuff. Last year someone brought pulled pork for all to share, but other than that, it wasn't really pot luck (unless I wasn't paying attention...)

Thanks for dropping some knowledge on the food set-up. Campsite booked....

Back