Paflyfish Jamboree 2016: May 20th - 22nd

My thoughts on food and the Jamboree:

Bring your own food and plan to cook it yourself to feed your group. Perhaps you will make arrangements to have a joint effort with those you are hanging with. As noted, there are grills at the pavilion and electrical outlets.

There is no Jamboree-wide "pot luck" affair planned, nor do I think that is a good idea. People share food and drinks, in groups or to all comers, but that is certainly discretionary.

We've had "semi" pot-luck situations in the past on Saturday night. That said, for those that put any effort into it, it really hampers the fishing on Saturday evening. i.e. most guys are fishing till dark (which doesn't happen till 9 or later in late May), then walking out, de-wadering, then having to drive back, and may not arrive at the pavilion till well after 10, depending on how far away they were fishing. So, if they have to make something, they gotta cut the fishing short.

In recent times it sort of died. Which is fine by me because I don't wanna feel guilty about not putting much effort into it, and I don't wanna lose fishing time either.

That said, yes, there's usually some food and drink being passed around Saturday night and EARLY Sunday morn. The rule is pretty much have the food and drink that you need and don't expect anything else, but don't be shy about taking offerings or offering to others, either. Somebody will pass around home-made hot pickles, or have a pot of chili, or chips and some fancy dip, stuff like that.

For first timers, note the typically late night for the main social gatherings. There are informal gatherings going on all over the campground at all times of the day and night, and seemingly always a few at the pavilion. Feel free to impose. Find a group somewhere, introduce yourself, and enter the fray. It's a pretty welcoming group overall.

But the centralized gathering is at the pavilion Friday and especially Saturday evenings. It gets going late and stays going late. If you show up at the pavilion at 9:00 to only a couple of guys, don't think it's over. It hasn't begun and the majority just aren't there yet. So don't skip out on the spinner fall at dusk in the name of getting back in time to socialize, you'll just beat most people back anyway. A few guys are always still trickling in at 11:00 p.m.! It's more crowded at 1 a.m. than it is at 9:30 p.m.

Awesome! Thanks for all the info. I do not know if this is the place to ask, but for someone who has never fished outside of Valley Creek/Little Lehigh are their certain patterns I need to not leave without? I don't want to hijack this thread with all my questions so you can just shoot me a PM if you want as well.

I would have some March Browns, since it will be May and some sulfurs in 14-16. Have a few Green Drakes, just in case. Other than that, for dries, variations of caddis in 18-16, stimulators, and, of course the most prolific hatch will be the Adams or the royal wulff.

pcray1231 wrote:
We've had "semi" pot-luck situations in the past on Saturday night. That said, for those that put any effort into it, it really hampers the fishing on Saturday evening. i.e. most guys are fishing till dark (which doesn't happen till 9 or later in late May), then walking out, de-wadering, then having to drive back, and may not arrive at the pavilion till well after 10, depending on how far away they were fishing. So, if they have to make something, they gotta cut the fishing short.

This is important to keep in mind. In my opinion, nothing beats a small portable grill and a cooler with some burgers etc. A streamside cookout along Penns or the Little Juniata is tough to beat and fuels you up for the evening hatch. By the time many folks get back to the pavilion it is indeed pretty late and many folks are hungry again.

Make whatever food plans you deem best for yourself (or your group id you have coordinated with some other folks).
DaveW

That's really good advice I hadn't considered before. I usually fish until dark like most and when I get back to the CG I scramble to eat and change and get up to the pavilion.

Streamside dinner pre-hatch, fish, CG, socialize. Good plan.

are their certain patterns I need to not leave without?

Traditionally, march browns and sulphers take the show. Have brown dries in 12-14, yellow/orange ones in 14-18, and appropriate nymphs for each bug as well. At dusk, a spinner fall, and having rusty spinners ranging from 12-18 will do ya fine. Emergers are never a bad idea either.

Your favorite brookie flies if you plan to do that. Have a few streamers on hand in case things get high and muddy.

Green drakes are always a possibility. The jam is generally 2-3 weeks early for them. But in years where the jam is late (like this one), coupled with potentially early hatches (possible based on a warm early winter), it would not surprise to hit the early side of this hatch.

for someone who has never fished outside of Valley Creek/Little Lehigh.

As a general rule of thumb, less flash and more natural colors are the rule in central PA. i.e. gold beads are not nearly as popular as in the Lehigh Valley, and personally, I think there's good reason for it.

A smorgasbord of events is shaping up, none yet involving food. Attendees can organize something if they wish, otherwise, I think PAFF is going to "sponsor" the coffee and fixins Saturday and Sunday mornings. In honor of PaulG for sure.

anyone have any recommendations for a Jam newbie on where to go while up there? Was thinking of making a weekend trip or two to the area and getting familiar with it. Never fished out that way and even though you guys say people will take some of the newbies along i wouldn't want to be a burden. Any pointers will help.

The headliners:

Penns: Poe Paddy is about 20-25 minutes from the campground, Coburn a little over 30. Poe Paddy is in the middle of the canyon, and is nice because there's basically three directions. Upstream, downstream, or through the tunnel and downstream (going through the tunnel cuts off about a mile of water). The special regs area is through the tunnel and down. Cherry Run is another access point but it's a long ways around from the jam site.

Spring: Everywhere on this stream is good. Benner Spring and Spring Creek Rd below Fisherman's Paradise are the most populare access areas. But there are no bad ones. This is the smallest of the Big 4, but it's not exactly small water. Note the New Zealand Mud snail infestation, and waders and gear should be washed thoroughly before going elsewhere.

LJR (Little Juniata River): A little longer of a drive, pushing an hour, from the jam site. Bigger water. Bigger fish.

BFC (Big Fishing Creek): Also a bit of a hike. The "Narrows" section is the most popular.

There are also a myriad of lesser known limestoners and freestoners alike within an hours drive or so. Check the class A list for Centre County. Plenty of options. Feel free to give me a call if you want to discuss specifics.

My parents have a cabin really close by. Is everything open to folks not staying at Seven Mountains?

I'm very new at fly fishing. Haven't caught so much as a sunfish yet. I know the area pretty well. I often explore with my pack rod (spinning reel) and dual sport motorcycle.

I just got a fly tying set for my birthday. Hopefully I'll get to see you all in May.

Couple things you may not know if you only visit once a year or so:

The railroad tunnel at Poe Paddy was closed and gated a few years ago due to some falling rocks. I haven't checked it lately but it didn't seem like anyone was going to fix it.

The pond at the Boy Scout camp across the highway from Seven Mountains campground is open for public fishing, as its stocked by the state. They ask that you sign in, but there hasn't been a sign-in book in years. Good spot to take little kids to catch fish. Usually stocked heavily. They just removed some trees so more sun and less snags.

Highway work at Seven Mountains exit. When completed you won't be able to cross 322 to enter the campground, but will make a right exit and go over a new bridge.

Unchanged: Brownie's tavern is still a dive. :)

Waitara wrote:
Unchanged: Brownie's tavern is still a dive. :)

They carded me at Brownie's at age 36 with a beard down to my chest. I'll never go up that hill again without a full cooler.

Is the atmosphere conductive to bringing along my wife? She enjoys camping,fishing,drinking very much.....but I wouldn't want to be "that guy" who brings his wife if it would be weird.

No worries bring the wife. Every year there are always some wives, sons, daughters, etc. It's a very friendly event and if she's into fishing, eating, drinking, then I'm sure she'll have a good time.

RE, the boy scout pond, yep, there are some that have been known to go fish it to aid in recovery from certain evening activities. :pint:

Brownies it great, I always stop for a beer or two.

The railroad tunnel at Poe Paddy was closed and gated a few years ago due to some falling rocks. I haven't checked it lately but it didn't seem like anyone was going to fix it.

Not just the tunnel, but the walking bridge too.

Repairs are complete. Tunnel and bridge now open.

My parents have a cabin really close by. Is everything open to folks not staying at Seven Mountains?

Yes. But aside from Sat. night from 9:30 p.m. - 1 a.m. or so, there's no scheduled and timed events. Fri around the same time will have guys at the pavilion. But the rest of the time, it's just informal gatherings at random times, and if you just show up, finding something going on is luck of the draw.

Is the atmosphere conductive to bringing along my wife? She enjoys camping,fishing,drinking very much.....but I wouldn't want to be "that guy" who brings his wife if it would be weird.

Nobody will be offended by it. As long as she isn't offended by us! There are always a couple of women present. There is also men being men, so as long as she's ok with that, all is well.

Got my tent site reserved for Fri and Sat. nights. Will likely extend that one way or the other, but dates TBD.

My pops and i will be up thursday night and ready to rock and roll in the Friday AM. PCray, i will bring that steak i keep promising you as well as some good beer! With audit season over i will be rip, roaring and ready to go haha.

just wander; this year shall I sleep close or far from the pavilion?
:roll:

Attachments

• XXX.jpg
    XXX.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 10
...or on top of it.

FlyForFun wrote:
anyone have any recommendations for a Jam newbie on where to go while up there? Was thinking of making a weekend trip or two to the area and getting familiar with it. Never fished out that way and even though you guys say people will take some of the newbies along i wouldn't want to be a burden. Any pointers will help.

Some of us enjoy a little extra [d]bourbon[/d] burden.

Back