No One Screaming...

Lower BFC was 64 at 7:00 PM today. FWIW.

I had a fish backlash and jam my reel running downstream it was pulling line off so fast. And subsequently get directly downstream of me and pull the hook out while I was attempting to unjam the reel. Was probably one of the 2 or 3 biggest fish I’ve ever encountered in PA. 16 or 18” range fish can’t do that. Stocked Bow maybe?

Other than that action was slow. Landed one dink. Decent Sulphur spinnerfall, but no real emergence.

Last edited:
Lower BFC was 64 at 7:00 PM today. FWIW.

I had a fish backlash and jam my reel running downstream it was pulling line off so fast. And subsequently get directly downstream of me and pull the hook out while I was attempting to unjam the reel. Was probably one of the 2 or 3 biggest fish I’ve ever encountered in PA. 16 or 18” range fish can’t do that. Stocked Bow maybe?

Other than that action was slow. Landed one dink. Decent Sulphur spinnerfall, but no real emergence.
There are some tanks there for sure. I lost a big fish on a jammed reel and that's my top gut punch fish loss of all time!

There are some tanks there for sure. I lost a big fish on a jammed reel and that's my top gut punch fish loss of all time!

Yeah, this one is high in the running for me. If I knew it was just a pig stocked Bow, I wouldn’t care, but if it was a wild Brown, ugh. It was nearly dark and I never saw it. I’ve caught plenty of high teens fish, and while they can momentarily take a little drag, if they have the current helping them, this fish was far more powerful.

I had a very large (confirmed) Bow that I estimated to be mid 20’s range pull nearly the same stunt on the LJR and get off in similar fashion a few years ago. I was fishing with a better reel that day, but it got nearly the length of my fly line below me, down a rapid, in pretty high water. There was no stopping the fish, and there was no way I was chasing after it in those flows. Pinched the line against the rod to let it break off and the hook pulled out instead.

I work near the Harrisburg airport, where likely the precipitation amounts are recorded for Harrisburg. Can confirm - the grass is already in a mid-August dead and brown state... At home, I logged 0.28" of rain for May. However, my grass was green as could be. But that was due to not having mowed my lawn for over a year, due to a tractor with a blown engine. I just weed whacked it every few weeks, which kept it nice and green through last year's drier summer and looking quite alive this year. Finally got a repaired tractor back on Wednesday and mowed and everything now looks dead. Might be the last time I have to mow this year!

Let me guess, all of it Saturday during the Jam?:ROFLMAO:
Dear Tom,

You're probably right. I just took the dog out and the broad-leafed weeds that make up the majority of greenery in my yard are dying! The section of lawn that is zoysia grass looks like one of those brass colored pot scrubbers. It's awful.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Things are looking up. Five minutes of rain in my part of Lancaster County this afternoon.

I'm in Lancaster County but less than a mile from the Dauphin line. We didn't get a drop here.

Seems like it's shaping up to be a really dry summer again. This is three years in a row now. I can't recall a May with as little (almost none) rain as we got this year.

For anyone interested in such things, the “drought of record” was in 1966. It’s the drought against which all other droughts are measured in the Delaware Basin. I assume it was dry elsewhere across much of Pa as well although I never read that.

Thunder and rain in NEPA. My rain barrels are filling and the garden is getting watered naturally! Woot!

Thunder and rain in NEPA. My rain barrels are filling and the garden is getting watered naturally! Woot!

I've gotten 5 minutes of rain twice now since 4 PM in SEPA. I'll be out chunking an 6 inch sex dungeon tomorrow for sure!!!! Oh, wait, it stopped again....

I've gotten 5 minutes of rain twice now since 4 PM in SEPA. I'll be out chunking an 6 inch sex dungeon tomorrow for sure!!!! Oh, wait, it stopped again....
That would be 10 minutes more than the last 6 weeks combined here.

We just had a nice little 15 minute thunderstorm here in the Philly suburbs. It was at least nice to see SOME rain, however short lived. Cooled things down a bit too.

Wish we had at least that in SW PA. Absolutely nothing since May 20th and before that nothing for a couple weeks prior. Grass is already going dormant which is totally unheard of for this time of year.

Wish we had at least that in SW PA. Absolutely nothing since May 20th and before that nothing for a couple weeks prior. Grass is already going dormant which is totally unheard of for this time of year.
Dear PSUhorty,

I see you are in SWPA. It's no different in Harrisburg. Even my dandelions have died off here! This evening it got kind of dark and the wind the blew fiercely but no rain fell. I did go outside then and the temperature had dropped a good 10 or 15 degrees, so somewhere nearby some rain fell, but it wasn't here. Twenty minutes later when I went outside to bring the bird feeders in the temperature was right back in the Mars level.

This ain't good!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

i use to think that every little bit of rain helps. whether its a passing storm that dumped heavy rain over the course of 30-60min. i have come to realize that it doesnt help one bit, maybe for your garden or flowers but thats about it.

what we need is a long rain event that lasts days with light to moderate rain.

for the most part nature corrects its self but it seems like hurricans do that nowadays. either way we will get rain sooner or later and rivers will be back to flow. might just have to wait until the fall though...

Back