No One Screaming...

Any guess on how early the leaves drop?

Lot of summer left. I'm not much of a gambler. I'll wait for the movie.

the oak leaves dropped about a week or so ago here in Potter!
Is that what all of the reddish/brown trees are on the hillsides when I was just up there? They just gave up and had basically no growing season due to the drought, huh?

Is that what all of the reddish/brown trees are on the hillsides when I was just up there? They just gave up and had basically no growing season due to the drought, huh?
I think that is all the hemlocks dying off if I'm not mistaken.

It's from 3 straight mornings with heavy frost that hit them! We had temps in the mid to high 20's.
That figures. There was one very specific tree that I could tell was sort of damaged/shutoff for the year. These were not dead trees. These were definitely not ash trees.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

The Japanese Knot weed got hit hard. Every bit of has been brown & dead, but it's getting green again!
On my drive up there I noticed just how swallowed by knotweed the town of Renovo is. Knotweed is EVERYWHERE up there. We don't have much where I live, but it is definitely spreading. I know where a few patches are.

We have a crap load of Knotweed here in SE Pa. No stopping it.
Yeah, it is a pretty bad invasive. It does produce nectar during a time that things aren't blooming around here, though. A few strong colonies of honey bees can make a lot of nice and dark knotweed honey during the bloom. They can make in excess of 100 lbs a colony from the bloom if it is a strong colony.

If we are loosing deciduous trees to June Frosts we will be likely have alot higher stream temps in august with canopy if these nice night times lows disappear.

If we are loosing deciduous trees to June Frosts we will be likely have alot higher stream temps in august with canopy if these nice night times lows disappear.
It was only a certain species of tree and the vast majority were fine. Shade on 99% of stream portions will be the same. I bet the tree situation I am outlining will have an unnoticeable effect on stream temps. I don't think this is anything to start ringing alarm bells over......

It was only a certain species of tree and the vast majority were fine. Shade on 99% of stream portions will be the same. I bet the tree situation I am outlining will have an unnoticeable effect on stream temps. I don't think this is anything to start ringing alarm bells over......
I did not realize was one species

Back