No One Screaming...

Guessing that the lawnmower won't see action again until late September. Humidity is sooo low which is great for being outside but sucks for everything else. Moisture in any form is tough to come by. Just rained on either side of me but still dusty here.
Next week looks great with cool nights

i use to think that every little bit of rain helps. whether its a passing storm that dumped heavy rain over the course of 30-60min. i have come to realize that it doesnt help one bit, maybe for your garden or flowers but thats about it.

what we need is a long rain event that lasts days with light to moderate rain.

for the most part nature corrects its self but it seems like hurricans do that nowadays. either way we will get rain sooner or later and rivers will be back to flow. might just have to wait until the fall though...
Dear Kyle,

You nailed it with that. I too remember several days or even a week over my lifetime where it rained constantly. But at the end of the rain event an inch and a half, or two inches fell. It came slow enough to actually do some good.

In the last 20 years it seems to be either feast or famine with famine winning more than not. Think about average yearly precipitation. Let's say Harrisburg gets 40 inches of liquid equivalent in a year. That can come 1/2 inch of so at a time, or 4 inches 10 times a year. Yeah, it's still average, but in reality, which average was the better? Tonight, if we got a 4-inch deluge I'd lose another 1/2 inch of topsoil, and by Monday all the smaller streams would be low and clear and there would be a giant lump of water struggling to get down the Susquehanna.

I wish for a year or two we could have the old time regular weather pattern return. I also wish I wasn't turning into a fat old dude. I can change one of those things, and it won't be the weather pattern!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I like that proposed season. Hopefully they don't increase license fees though.
Dont forget about the mentored youth freeloader day. This year it rained hard making it miserable so perhaps we should reserve 4/1 for freeloader day and just take 4/2.

Lower BFC 63F at 7:00 PM. One degree colder than two days ago.

An Elk County small freestone stream was low, but fishable. 61F at 1:00 PM.

Trout were happy, healthy, and feeding on both.

Last edited:
There were a few storms late afternoon yesterday. If you were lucky enough to see one of those storms you got a little rain and a lot of violence.

Trees snapped, hail the size jaw breakers. It was a narrow but angry swath of storms

Find where that hail fell and fish those streams. They should now be fishable!
I heard there was a fire on Shade Mountain in Snyder County. Hopefully some of that storm swath put out the fire.

There were a few storms late afternoon yesterday. If you were lucky enough to see one of those storms you got a little rain and a lot of violence.

Trees snapped, hail the size jaw breakers. It was a narrow but angry swath of storms

Most of the rain lately has been enough to make a complete mess out of the pollen on your car. That's about it. Not even enough to knock the dust down!

Clinton County freestone, 58F at 12 noon.

Screenshot 20230604 1921162

Clinton County freestone, 58F at 12 noon.
Luzerne County tailwater was also 58 at 11 AM today, even colder below a mountain freestone tributary.

Plus, it's a great time for the poor man's drift boat on big creeks, AKA boots and a wading staff. For the time being, you just have to be smart, carry a thermometer, and choose your creeks wisely in my opinion.

It seems like the only chance for a good rain will be from a coastal storm of some sort. I've yet to fish any of my streams this season. It's worse than last year.

I hope so, but I just looked at the forecast for Centre County and it shows no rain through June 8.
[/QUOTE

Troutbert,
Delays between pattern change in upper levels and a response in changes to our sensible weather take longer sometimes. CPC 6-10 day favors above average precipitation over the Commonwealth in that time period. Euro,Canadian, and GFS model are hinting a " crick filling" set up Sunday- Tuesday. Still at a period of low confidence so I'm not making plans yet.

I fished two small streams over the past four days. Both had more water than I thought they would, and both fished surprisingly well. (Neither caught any of the isolated TStorms over the past couple days either.)

Give it another month. Long term pattern suggests a wet July and August. Lots of TStorms. Think 2018/2019. The fish will make it til then.

DF25A86B 4908 4ECC A614 078860C73A00
ECFFF531 2889 464A 8B77 90D69CC382EF
20A3FFB4 F769 42BB B759 586F39397E13
E8AC1059 6ACF 4DD0 A9DC C64403494F6D

Wet July and August sound great. Guess I'll take the humidity if we get some rain

The one thing I can say is that the chilly nights have helped out massively. Without the cooler evenings, it would be a lot more than it is now. I think we have a single digit chance of a thunderstorm today which is way better than it has been. My yard looks a cut hay field

Last edited:
Back