No One Screaming...

FYI, there is a FFing tournament this weekend on your "large local limestoner". I would guess the guys you saw were the Euro FFers practicing for their competition.
The "Kish Creek Mini" eh? I just did a quick Google search and turned that up. If I wasn't in Potter County this weekend maybe I would just have to conveniently be fishing through those "beats" this Sunday. Just kidding. I am not a rebel rouser too much.

I was fishing a section of Kish years ago in September and some guys came up and politely asked me to leave as they were about to have a little comp/tourney. I begrudgingly abided, but that makes me feel a certain sort of way. The polite thing to do is to leave and find a spot elsewhere. It is a big stream and lots of water to be accessed. But when I was there first and feel like, as local, so much external pressure is starting to pop up on it it kind of makes me want to just say, "sorry man, I was here way before you and whoever got this beat is just out of luck."

There has been an older gentleman pounding the best water on the stream a lot recently via euro-nymphing. The "best water" is obviously subjective but you'd all have to torture me before I spewed my opinion of it on such a public place as this forum.

The "Kish Creek Mini" eh? I just did a quick Google search and turned that up. If I wasn't in Potter County this weekend maybe I would just have to conveniently be fishing through those "beats" this Sunday. Just kidding. I am not a rebel rouser too much.

I was fishing a section of Kish years ago in September and some guys came up and politely asked me to leave as they were about to have a little comp/tourney. I begrudgingly abided, but that makes me feel a certain sort of way. The polite thing to do is to leave and find a spot elsewhere. It is a big stream and lots of water to be accessed. But when I was there first and feel like, as local, so much external pressure is starting to pop up on it it kind of makes me want to just say, "sorry man, I was here way before you and whoever got this beat is just out of luck."

There has been an older gentleman pounding the best water on the stream a lot recently via euro-nymphing. The "best water" is obviously subjective but you'd all have to torture me before I spewed my opinion of it on such a public place as this forum.
Too bad you can't be around at that time to check out the competition. Those guys (most of them) are really good FFers and it would be interesting to see how they approach the stream, especially since you are local yokel expert. Who knows, you may have learned sumthin' or maybe even able to teach sumthin' about the stream and/or fishing to those guys.

I’d have stuck around and kept fishing solely for the possibility of catching more fish than the “competition”. The only tournaments I’ll move for are the youth ones (and specifically those where dad isn’t the one doing most of the fishing). Otherwise buck up buddy boy, I was here first.

Too bad you can't be around at that time to check out the competition. Those guys (most of them) are really good FFers and it would be interesting to see how they approach the stream, especially since you are local yokel expert. Who knows, you may have learned sumthin' or maybe even able to teach sumthin' about the stream and/or fishing to those guys.
I am sure that they would teach me some things. I am great at certain aspects of fly fishing and not great at certain others. I catch fish 99% of the time I fly fish, but Kish and Honey have humbled me more than once. Generally I succeed on both streams, but when I don't I walk away wondering what I could have done when my usual toolbox of tricks and tactics have been used up and I am out of ideas, so to speak.

Seriously? Maybe you know each other and you're ribbing, which is fine, but....

You do you, Shaefer. I have fly fished since I was 10 years old in every possible way, and I am now 54 and have really enjoyed learning to perfect my mono rig game over the last 4 or 5 years. It's just another tool. I catch fish because I can read water not watch for noses, you know?

Have fun, but don't wear flat brim hats, don't fish winter, don't fish summer, don't use a worm or an egg, don't drive a Tacoma, etc... I feel like some of the most vocal haters on here just envy your success and time on the water. If I fished 12 times a year during hatches and only with a guide on destination cricks, I guess I would be mad at the young bucks catching 30 fish when I've decided it was ethical to stay home because the 55 F limestoner happens to be low today...

You do you do, Shaefer. You throwing flies, probably barbless, and responsibly doing so? Carry on!
I met McSneek on Penns a couple of months ago - just some friendly banter! I agree with you - the appeal of the mono rig to me is it forces you to learn how to read water when getting drifts, which has helped me tremendously with other techniques (I often run dry dropper too).

So the things on your list I check off - I wear a flat brim hat (occasionally), I drive a Nissan Frontier (Frontier > Tacoma), so I guess I might be a typical youngster angler . . .

I'm not a euro nympher but man, it does seem like a way to hammer fish. I prefer small streams where euro nymphing is definitely not the most advantageous method of angling. Yesterday I was on a tiny stream just tossing a dry with a nymph dropper off of it and shooting it through small lanes in the vegetation. On bigger streams I've Tightlined using my fly line out of my rod tip, but never went mono rig. Maybe I'll try it. I feel I've more or less perfected indicator fishing. There is more to being really good at that tactic than most realize.

I've seen my large local limestoner being hit hard by euro guys. They seem to get popping up everywhere. Who was the guy with the blue Subaru covered in fly fishing stickers with a weird rack on top parked at the 3rd Street bridge? If you read this, you'll know where I mean. You parked beside my old rusty red Silverado. I bet that person is a forum member here.
You just described most forum members vehicles i bet when was this?

I met McSneek on Penns a couple of months ago - just some friendly banter! I agree with you - the appeal of the mono rig to me is it forces you to learn how to read water when getting drifts, which has helped me tremendously with other techniques (I often run dry dropper too).

So the things on your list I check off - I wear a flat brim hat (occasionally), I drive a Nissan Frontier (Frontier > Tacoma), so I guess I might be a typical youngster angler . . .
As good as that day we met was, the next time I hit Penns I got absolutely humbled. I am in my late 50's now but have two flat brim hats I enjoy wearing. I also have taken a liking to sun hoodies and even put the hood up some times like a young guy. My 2016 4Runner with 133,000 miles on it has several fishing stickers but I don't have one of those cool rod vaults. I'm no hater but I will always prefer to "look for noses" and don't do euro nymphing with a 12' 3 weight. I'm hoping for rain to give my favorite streams a bump in flows - they're very low right now even if temperatures are ok.

As good as that day we met was, the next time I hit Penns I got absolutely humbled. I am in my late 50's now but have two flat brim hats I enjoy wearing. I also have taken a liking to sun hoodies and even put the hood up some times like a young guy. My 2016 4Runner with 133,000 miles on it has several fishing stickers but I don't have one of those cool rod vaults. I'm no hater but I will always prefer to "look for noses" and don't do euro nymphing with a 12' 3 weight. I'm hoping for rain to give my favorite streams a bump in flows - they're very low right now even if temperatures are ok.
I had a feeling you might be messing with a young buck! Too funny. (y)

And sorry I spelled your name wrong Schaefer in a fit of mock outrage. Either way, carry on! It sounds like you are tearing it up, and not everyone has success just because they now use a mono rig or whatever comes next...

McSneek, my favorite targets as some may have noticed are stocker lockers on Land Rover Discoveries on, like, Valley Creek in the SEPA suburbs.... But I jest, AND I have thrown a dry with a mono rig when it is silly not to notice those noses!

Setting tee time rather than rigging rods. Less humidity is nice but I want to see some rain soon! Susky is around 9k at Harrisburg already and that's not good. I'd expect to see it 25-40kin mid June ☹️

Setting tee time rather than rigging rods. Less humidity is nice but I want to see some rain soon! Susky is around 9k at Harrisburg already and that's not good. I'd expect to see it 25-40kin mid June ☹️
Holy smokes the Susky at 9K for this time is crazy. I am looking to dust of my clubs, grab a few beers, banana slice my drives, and chunk every iron shot in the near future

Holy smokes the Susky at 9K for this time is crazy. I am looking to dust of my clubs, grab a few beers, banana slice my drives, and chunk every iron shot in the near future
The Delaware is at about 1/2 its 25 percentile flow per USGS as well. It looks awful low this morning when I came across the Trenton-Morrisville bridge. Guess I'll be working on my pond/lake game. I hate stillwater but not as much as I hate golf!

Lots of water here
20230601 180858

fished little schuylkill today, left the stream at about 2pm, water temp was 57F when I left. the fishing was great, the water did not feel like a pool :)

Last edited:
I agree. I hate golf. I'll find fishing somewhere..
Dear jifigz,

I used to love to golf and while I was never good, I could shoot mid-80's consistently, and it wasn't miniature golf!

Then Tiger Woods came along, and golfers multiplied like rabbits. They forgot the rules of etiquette and spent 5 minutes plumb-bobbing their 3rd putt on every green. I was used to walking 18 holes in 3 1/2 hours or so with a buddy. Every round became a 5-hour cart adventure.

I decided to hang up the sticks. If I had to play today at gunpoint I'd drop 100 F-bombs by the 3rd hole and walk off after 9 holes, or before.

I had pretty much hung up the fly rods too. But going to the Jamboree and fishing those 2 days on the J with my brother rekindled the fire. We'll see how long it lasts, but I will fish warm-water this Saturday and Sunday and maybe even charge the batteries in the boat and fix the taillights on the trailer too before bass season opens.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Just warmed up to 85 today. The water that is.
Dear Tom,

For giggles and grins I checked Pine Creek at Waterville. It's 79F at 8:15 and 229 CFS vs historical flow of 880 CFS. The flatheads are coming if they can get over the Hepburn Street Dam in Williamsport.

Regards,

Dear Tom,

For giggles and grins I checked Pine Creek at Waterville. It's 79F at 8:15 and 229 CFS vs historical flow of 880 CFS. The flatheads are coming if they can get over the Hepburn Street Dam in Williamsport.

Regards,

79 is good for me after a day of fishing. The wife like it in he 80s at least. Last year we hot a new liner and were open mid April. Week before or after the Jam is usually the goal. Pine creek is a whole lot prettier than Bovard too.

Back