No One Screaming...

Just out of curiosity, when every stream I have just fished is not even 60° and I'm catching trout, why is it time to give them a "break?" Also, smallmouth fishing sucks right now. I was just in the Juniata lounging around and in one small spawning area there were 6 large bass I counted. Those aren't catchable fish, IMO.

I guess I could go fish a lake for sunfish, but truthfully I don't find that very enjoyable. Getting baked by the sun on the shore.
Not so much the water temperatures…yet. It’s the fact the water in most streams is just so darn low.

Not so much the water temperatures…yet. It’s the fact the water in most streams is just so darn low.
That just makes the angling more difficult and technical. You gotta be more stealthy.

Might have cut the grass for the last time until late September. Looking like it is going dormant and the next couple of days might do it.

Fished a tailwater and the Susky. Both were very low for this time of year. Local weather guy says "virtually no measurable rain between now and July 4". Just hope we get some soon, it's mighty dry out there. The positive... If you're golfing, massively long drives.

I prefer fishing low water vs high water. The trout sit in more predictable locations IMO - had a 30 fish day on Saturday on a creek that was flowing at 98 CFS when average is around 175 CFS, water temps still in the mid-high 50s. I was fishing a thin mono rig and man it was on fire!

I prefer fishing when you can hear the stream roaring down in the valley when you park your vehicle up on top of the plateau a half mile away...

When the Roaring Runs are roaring, and the Rattling Runs are rattling, that's the best.

I prefer fishing when you can hear the stream roaring down in the valley when you park your vehicle up on top of the plateau a half mile away...

When the Roaring Runs are roaring, and the Rattling Runs are rattling, that's the best.
I prefer fishing nearly daily regardless of what the flows are like. I just like catching some fish.

I got into em yesterday on a dry/dropper rig early on. A couple eats on the dry, but most ate the nymph. It was even a green weenie. Ahhh yeah, it is that time of year. Weenie time.

...about the drought? Deeply suprised. It's what the internet is best for!
So here it is:
"Its too dry! Creek are too low. Water is too warm. Fish will die. Idiots will hammer fish at feeder mouths.The fish commission doesn't care about trout. They just want to 'snap a lot of necks".
That's most of it. ...become a point of nucleation.
Syl
"Snap a lot of necks"..?? Seems rather brutal..!!

I prefer fishing nearly daily regardless of what the flows are like. I just like catching some fish.

I got into em yesterday on a dry/dropper rig early on. A couple eats on the dry, but most ate the nymph. It was even a green weenie. Ahhh yeah, it is that time of year. Weenie time.
The fly I hate the most (well almost) is the green weenie.

Better idea…Open season 4/1-4/2 (or whatever the first weekend in April is). Most guys only fish opening weekend anyway.
I like that proposed season. Hopefully they don't increase license fees though.

I like that proposed season. Hopefully they don't increase license fees though.
What if they just increase the license cost, increase the number of stockie, decrease the waters stocked, and everyone draws for a 2 hour designated slot time on a particular body of water. I also propose that we increase the daily limit to 10 fish and, if at the end of your 2 hour segment, you have not captured all 10 trout for your limit, you go to a stand where they will scoop your remaining fish directly from a holding tank.

This way everyone gets their 10 trout per year and we harm the rest of the creeks as little as possible. Way fewer waters receiving stocked invaders, no fighting over spots since everyone will get their two hour limit on a water within one of those 2 days.

Swattie, as you are the chairperson for our new movement, can we take a vote on any of my proposed amendments?

I really should be working....but my office job is just so boring.

What if they just increase the license cost, increase the number of stockie, decrease the waters stocked, and everyone draws for a 2 hour designated slot time on a particular body of water. I also propose that we increase the daily limit to 10 fish and, if at the end of your 2 hour segment, you have not captured all 10 trout for your limit, you go to a stand where they will scoop your remaining fish directly from a holding tank.

This way everyone gets their 10 trout per year and we harm the rest of the creeks as little as possible. Way fewer waters receiving stocked invaders, no fighting over spots since everyone will get their two hour limit on a water within one of those 2 days.

Swattie, as you are the chairperson for our new movement, can we take a vote on any of my proposed amendments?

I really should be working....but my office job is just so boring.

Sure. As long as it involves protecting our fragile friends.

I think we should just take the 5-6 million state coop trout and line anglers up with huge nets and fire them out of a salmon cannon and have people try to catch them out of the air……beats fishing for em

I think we should just take the 5-6 million state coop trout and line anglers up with huge nets and fire them out of a salmon cannon and have people try to catch them out of the air……beats fishing for em
That actually sounds like a lot of fun. I have never tried to catch a speeding, high speed trout while also fighting off another fish receiver.

It's mother nature. Floods, droughts, hurricanes, tornados. Don't scream at what you can't change....just deal with it. Don't be this guy >

On the other hand, its a great time to fish the big tailwaters - earlier than usual for me.
If you're willing to be flexible, there's always some trout fishing around

I prefer fishing low water vs high water. The trout sit in more predictable locations IMO - had a 30 fish day on Saturday on a creek that was flowing at 98 CFS when average is around 175 CFS, water temps still in the mid-high 50s. I was fishing a thin mono rig and man it was on fire!
I'm with you on this.
Fishing wise, catching wise etc, I seem to do best in low and clear.

Back