New Flies just off the vise

I'll attempt to be constructive here. Not that I think anyone cares at this point, but the material is clearly too far down the bend of the hook. I'm curious how you clamp your hooks in the vise. If you are clamping that far down towards the point you are stressing the metal on the weakest section of the hook. I know that you have never had a hook break, but less experienced tyers might want to consider this and use a more standard positioning of the hook in the vise (at least until they hit the 5000 hook/year point).
On a slightly less constructive note, 10,000 hooks/year would require tying more than 1 fly per hour every day 24/7. That sure is a lot of tying!

FrequentTyer wrote:
On a slightly less constructive note, 10,000 hooks/year would require tying more than 1 fly per hour every day 24/7. That sure is a lot of tying!

Well, the flies in question are basic caddis larva-type flies that any average tyer could probably whip up in less than five minutes, so that number might not be all that unrealistic.

sniperfreak lays down the smack... my, my this IS an enjoyable thread to read during my cup of coffee and my McBacon Egger

There is a saying in Hollyweird "The only bad publicity is no publicity".
82 responses and still going strong-OP must be loving it,Frankly speaking.lol

I do tie more than 1 fly a day. haha Actually I do go through about 10,000 hooks a year. I try and get at least 4 to eight dozen tied a day. Plus those caddis that were pictured on this thread probably took a little over a minute to tie each. They are quick ties that can fill up your fly box with a variety of colors and are not hard on the wallet. Isn't that the name of the game anyways have a huge variety that you can tie cheap so if you break off then who cares. Plus the picture angle makes the bend look shorter. The tubing actually is is a little above center on the bend. With the barb intact this is plenty of room to hook and hold a fish.

Tying 4 to 8 dozen flies a day will make you go insane. I'm living proof.

I know it burns you out sometimes.

sniperfreak223 wrote:
FrequentTyer wrote:

Well, the flies in question are basic caddis larva-type flies that any average tyer could probably whip up in less than five minutes, so that number might not be all that unrealistic.

Well, yeah, he's not tying anything complex, but still that is more than 2 dozen flys/day every day. I'm not saying it is impossible, just that it is a lot of tying for someone of his particular talent.

Leteras wrote:
I do tie more than 1 fly a day. haha Actually I do go through about 10,000 hooks a year. I try and get at least 4 to eight dozen tied a day. Plus those caddis that were pictured on this thread probably took a little over a minute to tie each. They are quick ties that can fill up your fly box with a variety of colors and are not hard on the wallet. Isn't that the name of the game anyways have a huge variety that you can tie cheap so if you break off then who cares. Plus the picture angle makes the bend look shorter. The tubing actually is is a little above center on the bend. With the barb intact this is plenty of room to hook and hold a fish.

Yes, 1 fly/hour... But seriously, how do you clamp your hooks in the vise and still get the tubing that far around the bend?

Leteras wrote:
They are quick ties that can fill up your fly box with a variety of colors and are not hard on the wallet. Isn't that the name of the game

No.

jcs-electric-beadhead-caddis.jpg

supposed to be a top seller on my flies in links.
Description: The Electric Caddis - Beadhead's translucent effect underwater (like that of the natural) is in part, what makes this fly so productive. I incorporate Ultrawire, in different colors, inserted inside of hollow tubing (stretch tubing) wrapped over an underbody of tying thread with a Realfly™ colored bead for the head. The Electric Caddis-Beadhead is a must in any serious angler's fly box, especially during the fall and winter months.

The electric caddis is a pattern by John Collins. Also al ritt ties a similar fly...

Putting wire in tubing is not a complex or patented thing. People have been doing it since the tubing came out.

These mags will publish anything these days. I agree with everyone here the fly goes too far down the bend. Your style of caddis is pretty interesting and I can see why it catches fish.

On a side note those steelhead will eat anything if you drift it into their mouth.

Are you the guy that ties in a backwards style at the Cabin Fever?

Someone told me I tie backwards at cabin fever but it works for me and its easier to see the wraps for me. I go to cabin fever every year. Also steelhead will eat flies you don't have to drift them into their mouths. Most of the steelhead I have caught have hit the flies so hard that your have to hold onto your rod. Its not like these guys that say how you have to feel for subtle strikes. When a fish takes your fly you'll know.

Leteras wrote:
Most of the steelhead I have caught have hit the flies so hard that your have to hold onto your rod..

I feel its generally good practice no matter what of fishing your doing to hold onto your rod. It helps a good bit with strike detection and setting the hook.

yeah... when i hear about force feeding while chuck and duck fishing

the first thing that comes to mind are the intense strikes

let me know when you figure out how to fish with out holding on to your rod. That would be some David Copperfield style fishing there!

I am well aware steelhead do and can take a fly pretty hard sometimes. Personally I don't consider them to be the smartest fish out there since they are know to hit just about anything.

Steelhead are ultra selective. How many different colored beads do you have to peg on the line before you get a rod breaking take? I think they'd eat a pull tab from a beer can if you floated it near their face. Ultra selective.

krayfish wrote:
Steelhead are ultra selective. How many different colored beads do you have to peg on the line before you get a rod breaking take? I think they'd eat a pull tab from a beer can if you floated it near their face. Ultra selective.

I am pretty sure they would eat a beer tab. Wasn't there a video of a Erie hilljack doing just that? But ya, beads (pegged not bead heads) rule.

Leteras wrote:
Its not like these guys that say how you have to feel for subtle strikes. When a fish takes your fly you'll know.

Yea, 1/4th of the time..

Back