Stay Organized: George Daniel's Fly Tying Materials and Tools Setup

Kms

Kms

I hadn’t seen this posted here, but as a beginner it’s just brilliant. This guy is a master, yet everything he uses fits into a single crate.
IMG 3549

He shows how to organize what you have, as well as what tools and materials you do and do not need.

Last edited:
all good ideas

but ive been tying over 43 years and ive got my organization just the way i like it

every tyer is different than other tyers and should organize how they see whats best for them, not somebody else's way of organization

find a system that works for you

all good ideas

but ive been tying over 43 years and ive got my organization just the way i like it

every tyer is different than other tyers and should organize how they see whats best for them, not somebody else's way of organization

Amen and ditto...!!!

all good ideas

That’s excellent, and I expect that other experienced folks are similar.

As a newb, I don’t yet have a system, and found his minimalist approach - arrived at after many years of experience - very appealing for its efficiency and budget friendliness. Also, I had posted this in the beginner section (where I still believe it belongs), but found it moved.

Last edited:
i tie on my work bench. it works for me. i have all my materials hung up on a peg board so i can see it. i use to use a desk. but all the drawers were a mess. i keep my tools and vise in a caddy i built from scrap wood from other woodworking projects. or if its nice outside ill grab the caddy and some material and go tie on my porch or deck.

Reactions: Kms
I have a similar set up GD all my tying materials and tools fit into
Plano 7771 tackle box and a small file storage box ( hakle).
I use the dining room table and everything is put away and cleaned up at the end of the night.

That’s excellent, and I expect that other experienced folks are similar.

As a newb, I don’t yet have a system, and found his minimalist approach - arrived at after many years of experience - very appealing for its efficiency and budget friendliness. Also, I had posted this in the beginner section (where I still believe it belongs), but found it moved.
It is a minimalist approach for someone who fishes for a living and has every piece of gear imaginable. I would hardly call it minimalistic for a beginner.

Edit: wanted to add that it is a great video and thanks for sharing it.

"Vices as old as being bought in 2004.." had to laugh. I'm still tying on a vice bought around 1972. It was a Thompson A vice my parents got me for a christmas present when I first started fishing. I was about 13 years old. Only upgrade was a set of midge jaws that replaced those pudgy jaws it comes with.
Still going strong.

"Vices as old as being bought in 2004.." had to laugh. I'm still tying on a vice bought around 1972. It was a Thompson A vice my parents got me for a christmas present when I first started fishing. I was about 13 years old. Only upgrade was a set of midge jaws that replaced those pudgy jaws it comes with.
Still going strong.

I'm pretty sure my primary vice was purchased around 2004...

"Poor little old 20 year old vise, ain't good for nothin'." ;)

Back