Any interest in a Newbie Mini-Jam?

Ed,
I will be there. I can help with whatever you need. Just let me know.
Bill

I'm really liking what I'm seeing here. The itinerary I posted in the events forum is just a rough guide to the day's events.

The guys that are instructing should feel free to cover whatever they feel is applicable to their sessions.

Andy - We can have a table for you going all day with the tying stuff. Guys can move from table to table picking and choosing what they want to learn. I'd rather not limit anyone, time wise. It'll be like going to seminars at one of the big shows - pick and choose what areas you'd like to learn more about.

Thanks for "taking ownership" of these programs, guys. It's your day to shine, and it'll be a great learning experience for all.

You guys really are the best!

H.A.

This is gonna be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! And who ever asked how many people, I am not sure. Me and a friend, that guys grandson, and i think 3 more? Somewhere between 5 and 10 lol

i can bring a vise and some supplies.

and comic relief.

Bombs? Gunpowder? Fleas from your beard?

My schedule has been locked and I am free on that weekend.

I would be happy to turn over the lead instruction to someone else for whatever you want me to help with. For that matter,I'd be just as happy standing on the sidelines observing/learning, too. Sounds like you have plenty of folks to provide instruction. I can provide some good moral support.

Dave R.

Feb. 26th ,
Boy with this group I should be able to pick up some pointers
will check the ol work schedule

wet

Im with pcray1231, Id love some casting critique from Dave. He worked with me for 10 minutes last year, and dramatically improved my abilities. Im hoping to learn how to throw a curve cast from him, and maybe double haul.

Yeah, I am going on teacher's strike if I don't get a few minutes alone with Dave and my FT.

I have curve casts. Don't know if they're proper. But, like czech nymphing, I take all credit as I invented them myself. ;)

As a righty

Curve to the left: Sidearm (well, maybe closer to 3/4), overpowered, and stop short. Kind of like a sidearm tuck cast; more of a hook at the end than a smooth curve. I'm decent with it and use it ALOT, specially on bigger streams to cast across currents to give drag free drifts.

Curve to the right. Cross body, underpowered, and drop the rod at the end. Basically a slack line cast, pinning the belly on the water while the end continues around. More of a smooth curve. More difficult for me and I struggle with accuracy. I'd really like to get better, as a curve to the right is more useful on most small streams, because you're mostly working upstream from the left side, where the stream corridor is to your dominant side for normal casts.

I'm sure Dave could help me with curve casts with some pointers. But honestly its my tailing loops on even regular casts that frustrate me the most. I never had ANY casting instruction, and I'm sure I'm full of bad habits.

Sounds like there will be a teachers in-service.

And then there are ariel mends...

If your willing, I will certainly try to be able. Im really looking forward to this Jam. Again, good job H.A.

And then there are ariel mends...

Even then, I'm so much better reach casting to the right for a left curve, but I'd find it much more useful to be able to do it to the left for a right curve.

me looking forward as well, sounds like there will be a lot to soak in, can't wait

I am a natural sidearmer, both in throwing and casting, so I often find myself fighting the curve casts in situations where I don't need 'em.

pcray1231 wrote:
I never had ANY casting instruction, and I'm sure I'm full of bad habits.

And the Joe Humphries short stroke thing is entirely wrong by the books, too, but it seems to work quite well.

You may never hold an FFF instructor title, but fish can't read.

OldLefty wrote:
My schedule has been locked and I am free on that weekend.

I would be happy to turn over the lead instruction to someone else for whatever you want me to help with. For that matter,I'd be just as happy standing on the sidelines observing/learning, too. Sounds like you have plenty of folks to provide instruction. I can provide some good moral support.

Dave R.

Sorry Mr Southpaw - it seems you'll be occupied by request. Thanks for making the trek down here!

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Sorry Mr Southpaw - it seems you'll be occupied by request. Thanks for making the trek down here!

All I gotta do is tell him about the new Vietmanese place, and I'm pretty sure I could get the personalized attention to my craptacular castin' needs. :)

FWIW, not as convient, or hot, as Cali Burrito. ;-)

Back