Any interest in a Newbie Mini-Jam?

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Never met anyone from this board before, looking forward to it

Don't let appearances fool you - we're harmless. :lol:

Even this dubious looking individual....

Looks like you guys had a great turnout thanks for throwing this one together. H.A. we (Ave and I) wanted to say hi but you were busy.

Jerry 2010 license on yur coat? huh?

littlelehigh wrote:
Jerry 2010 license on yur coat? huh?

That pic was from last year - Jerry has turned over a new leaf.

Thought I saw your car down by the bridge, but didn't see you. Tell my little buddy Avery I said hello!

Ed and others at jam,it was good to meet you and put some faces to these posts.I'm sure the new guys got a lot out of what was presented by the very knowledgeable instructors.Heck even I who have been fishing for 6o+ years got some good info there.
At lunch break I went upstream to the hatchery area and threw numerous patterns where I know there are a lot of fish and did n't get a bump.Anybody have any success in the afternoon?I had to bug out and take care of some things around the house,sorry I could n't hang around.

Hi twef - Only fished for a few minutes. The wading was a bit tricky due to the water being off color and still a pretty heavy flow. Picked one up on a bead head green weenie, but then all the water I drank after eating a spicy lunch caught up with me, and I never made it back to the stream.

I did get to talk with our local WCO, and FINALLY got the answer as to why he removed the no wading regs. They're going to let the riparian buffer grow, and the only way to have access to the whole stream would be by wading, or the handicap ramp. He's got good intentions, and I hope his efforts to improve the habitat for the fish works out. He really DOES care about the stream, and his ideas about stream improvement are sound. Thank goodness! ;-)

Attachments

• no skunk 4 me.jpg
    no skunk 4 me.jpg
    990.8 KB · Views: 12
I had a great time, thanks HA for setting this up.

Me, Dluton, and kbob fished in the afternoon, maybe 1:30 to 4:30 or so. Fishing wasn't great, I managed 3 fish landed, including 1 on top (BWO), and we all stung a few. Only a couple of risers. I did see a BWO or two in the air, not enough to call a hatch but nice to see my first mayflies of the year. Decent number of midges in places, but not spread evenly over the water.

Thanks Jay and others for directions to the place. We saw 2 other fishermen out.

Attachments

• IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 6
Glad to see some fish were caught. :)

Ed,green is one color I did n't try as I left them in the car:)
You mean to say our WCO was actually patrolling the Heritage,all the times I have walked my Boxer along there I have never seen him,or a deputy.It's good they,the parks dept,are leaving the banks get wild and bushy,now if they let the fallen trees and brush piles gather we may have something.Did he say anything about trucking in some boulders to create some broken water in the flat areas?LOL
Give me a call and we can talk about the old days!

I would like to thank Heritage-Angler for setting up this mini jam . I had an absolute great time and gained a lot of knowledge. Great to put some faces with names. GFEN looked just like what I expected! Actually he helped me with a lot of things, along with Old lefty, JayL, Andy and many others that I am sorry can't remember their names. The instructors did a fabulous job. Old Lefty is absolutely amazing...went home and kept going over everthing he told me. My twelve year old son said okay Dad can you show me how its done the "right" way...I said I can tell you but show.....I dont' think so! (not yet anyhow!) Thanks again!

BTflyman wrote:
I would like to thank Heritage-Angler for setting up this mini jam . I had an absolute great time and gained a lot of knowledge. Great to put some faces with names. GFEN looked just like what I expected! Actually he helped me with a lot of things, along with Old lefty, JayL, Andy and many others that I am sorry can't remember their names. The instructors did a fabulous job. Old Lefty is absolutely amazing...went home and kept going over everthing he told me. My twelve year old son said okay Dad can you show me how its done the "right" way...I said I can tell you but show.....I dont' think so! (not yet anyhow!) Thanks again!

GFEN looked just like what I expected! Actually he helped me with a lot of things..... :-o

:lol:

afishinado wrote:
BTflyman wrote:
GFEN looked just like what I expected! Actually he helped me with a lot of things..... :-o
:lol:

I won't say if I paid him for that endorsement or not.

troutwilleatflies wrote:
You mean to say our WCO was actually patrolling the Heritage,all the times I have walked my Boxer along there I have never seen him,or a deputy.It's good they,the parks dept,are leaving the banks get wild and bushy,now if they let the fallen trees and brush piles gather we may have something.Did he say anything about trucking in some boulders to create some broken water in the flat areas?LOL

Our WCO, Lee Creyer wants to see exactly that. And more. ;-)

Heritage-Angler wrote:
troutwilleatflies wrote:

Our WCO, Lee Creyer wants to see exactly that. And more. ;-)

Being the pessimist that I typically am . . . how is the riparian buffer going to be improved in that area? You can't make it wider on the walking path side and that is primarily trees anyway. Likewise the other side of the stream is mostly forested in that section. How do they plan on getting this improved riparian buffer?

Why is it THAT section of that stream that they are concerned with when there are miles and miles where they literally cut the grass to the streams banks?

I mean frankly, I really don't care about wading that section. Actually don't really care about that section at all (from a fishing perspective). But it really seems like that was a politically correct answer imo.

if you ever do another jam please let me know i would love to attend

IdratherbePhishing wrote:

There's always this one. I look forward to it all year every year.

Boyer

IdratherbePhishing wrote:

As Matt pointed out above, we have our annual "Jam" (short for jamboree) every year in May - usually located in center state near well known trout waters and accessible to folks from both sides of the state. It's a blast (and very informal) and you're welcome to join us. In the last couple years more and more forum members have been putting together smaller regional jams sometimes called "mini-jams" - such as the Beginner's Jam. There's currently an effort to put one together for the Lehigh River and they'll be more over the course of the year. Last summer I organized a one-day jam to fish for bass and float the Juniata. Usually, these get-togethers are announces in the Announcements and Events forum. Spend some more time on this site and familiarize yourself with the forums and you'll get a feel for what's going on.

Back