Any interest in a Newbie Mini-Jam?

Dumb question...

I've never fished the LL before. 686 ok?

gfen wrote:
All I gotta do is tell him about the new Vietmanese place, and I'm pretty sure I could get the personalized attention to my craptacular castin' needs. :)

FWIW, not as convient, or hot, as Cali Burrito. ;-)

Make sure your kitchen pass covers dinner - we're taking him there, for sure! (Surprise)

wsender wrote:
Dumb question...

It's far from optimal, but it'll work.

I'll bring all my rods. Take your pick, if you want.

What would be more optimal?

wsender wrote:
Dumb question...

You'll be living large if it's streamer chuckin' time. There is some big fish in there.

The LL is pretty similar to Spring Creek - same bugs, not as many fish.

My rod of choice is usually a 586, but that depends on the bugs...

Oh, yous guys are just too much (of a good thing)!

Thought I'd bump this up,checked ten day weather and it says 46 and sunny,by then the water should be back to normal after the recent snow melt.I'm trying to get there as I want to hear about indi fishing.

twef:

I know the old say well, "Listen intently, say nothing and you may be perceived as posessing some degree of intelligence; open your mouth and remove all doubt."

I must ask, what do you mean by "indi fishing?"

Also, I read another post where you talked about the Little Lehigh in the '60's. I learned my fly fishing on this stream, starting around '64 or so. I can't remember when this stream didn't turn major big time muddy after a rain. I also remember well when the sewer line was run along the stream. I don't know how the LL survived as a quality fishery after all of the attacks over the years. I still consider it a good wild brown trout fishery.

Dave R.

Boy, it would have been good if I could fish down there Sunday after the jam...

OldLefty,

I think 'indi fishing' is 'nymphing with an indicator'. Not 100% positive, but that's what I got out of it.

Old Lefty.yes "indi fishing" is my slang for nympthing with a indicator.
I started fishing the LL as a boy with my father and uncles in the 40's.I remember being there during and after heavy rain when the water was high and rolling,it would be off color like milky green but not muddy.Over the ensuing years development and radically different farming practices changed that to high and muddy.
There was a time that the LL was loaded with aquatic life,Sulpurs so dense that it looked like a snowstorm in reverse.There were times that the windshield would get splattered with bugs from driving by the stream that you had to clean it for visibility.WE used to fish at night for big Browns using water worms that we collected from brush along the stream.After they destroyed the upper reaches with the sewer lines the entire stream has gone downhill,I would not consider it a quality stream today,but it's what it is and there's not much else in the area.
Even the Heritage stretch is not close to what it was 10-15-20 years ago,the number and size of the fish are way down.
Also,the sewer lines that overflow raw sewerage into the stream during those high water events is slowly killing the stream I believe.
Sorry for the rant but it's hard to see what once was a premier trout stream get destroyed,unfortunately the LL is not the only one.

troutwilleatflies wrote:
"indi fishing" is my slang for nympthing with a indicator.

Dang it. I had visions of Danica Patrick in a skimpy outfit, teaching us what nymphing was all about. :lol:

twef - I look forward to talking to you. There's a lot of blanks in my memory of the Little Lehigh that you could fill in. If the Little Lehigh is ever going to be restored to her former "glory", it should start with talking to guys like you that remember it as it was.

Hope to see you there.

H.A.

Attachments

• danica-patrick.jpg
    danica-patrick.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 6
HA,I will make it a point to look you up when I get there,but you have to remember that was a long time ago and there are times I don't know what day it is LOL.
The reason I want to sit in on the "indi" fishing is that I fish nympths by feeling the hit through the line or watch the line where it joins the leader for the "twitch",but a indi might improve my success on detecting the take.I've been doing this for awhile but there is always something to learn.

This seems like an incredible opportunity for a new fly fisherman. I will be there, barring any unforeseen events. I may be bringing a friend as well. It's great that all of you are doing this. I have to say however, I do not know the protocol here. What should I bring besides all of my gear? Should I bring my cheap-o tying kit?

I look forward to meeting you all Saturday.

There will be some folks that can tie an amazing fly. However, if I was a newbie I would take advantage of the knowledge available in casting, presentation, reading water, etc. Fly tying can/will take a lot of your attention.

zenherper wrote:
What should I bring besides all of my gear?

Chicks.

zenherper wrote:
Should I bring my cheap-o tying kit?

I'm not exactly an expert at nuttin, but I figured I'd run people through a few real simple patterns.

So. yes, why not?

Excellent! I made a couple basic flies (Hares Ear and an Adams) and I enjoyed doing them, so if I have time without sacrificing any other valuable instruction, I would enjoy that.

Also, I have a copy of the "Wright & McGill: Essentials of Fly Fishing" DVD. It has some decent instructional information for beginners, ranging from tools/equipment and tying, to casting and nymphing. I can probably come up with a few copies if anybody wants a copy. If you want one, just send me a PM.

I'll vouch for the simplicity and success rate of Gfens flies. You don't need to tie like a Thailand teen to catch fish. Make sure he shows you the "Clousa"

Also find JayL for his walt's worm and other simple ties. Not the ones he ties when feeling saucy.

zenherper,

Def bring your kit, I will be doing some simple ties as well. Gfen is right though, there is alot to learn here, dont limit yourself to just tying. Its been a while, but we do having tying Jams in the lehigh valley. See you there.

Andy

littlelehigh wrote:
Also find JayL for his walt's worm and other simple ties. Not the ones he ties when feeling saucy.

"Half a chicken, some rabbits and two size 2/0 hooks oughta do it."

Back