Saucon Creek

C

CravenMorehead

Hi,

Planning on getting out to Saucon Creek this weekend and was hoping that someone could shed some light on what stretches of the Saucon are spring fed. I'm not asking for honey holes or anything just don't want to put any pressure on fish that are barely hanging in there this summer.

Thanks,
Craven

I would leave those Saucon fish alone. Even the Little Lehigh that tends to have more consistently cold temps has been peaking over 70 each day. No gage on Saucon, but if I see those kinds of temps on the Little Lehigh gage, I leave the rest of the Lehigh Valley limestoners alone because they tend to be in worse shape.

You also don't want to target fish concentrating around springs for survival. Give it a month to 6 weeks and there should be more favorable days than now.

Yeah agree with the above. Although the weather this weekend looks a bit cooler and coupled with the recent rains you might have some luck. Take a thermometer, get out early and be ready to pull the plug once things hit the mid 60’s. Personally I’m only fishing tailwaters for trout until late September but of course YMMV. Hell the po is only like 2 exits up the NE extension if you have to bail on the Saucon.

With all of the thunderstorms that went immediately south of Allentown two evenings ago followed by the storms that the entire Lehigh Valley got last evening and night, water temp won’t be a problem. Water clarity will be for a period of time.

With all of the thunderstorms that went immediately south of Allentown two evenings ago followed by the storms that the entire Lehigh Valley got last evening and night, water temp won’t be a problem. Water clarity will be for a period of time.
The LL is showing 68 today at 8:30am.

I would leave those Saucon fish alone. Even the Little Lehigh that tends to have more consistently cold temps has been peaking over 70 each day. No gage on Saucon, but if I see those kinds of temps on the Little Lehigh gage, I leave the rest of the Lehigh Valley limestoners alone because they tend to be in worse shape.

You also don't want to target fish concentrating around springs for survival. Give it a month to 6 weeks and there should be more favorable days than now.
Thank you for the response! My first time fly fishing was in late May, so I'm still wet behind the ears. I also noticed Tulpehocken which I've heard keeps fairly cool.

Thank you for the response! My first time fly fishing was in late May, so I'm still wet behind the ears. I also noticed Tulpehocken which I've heard keeps fairly cool.
Sadly, the Tully might be 80 degrees! Tough summer for trout fishing!

I saw something on the Philly news from my girl K Rog that said 12 of the last 14 days have been over 90, and of those like 7 have been over 95. And no rain until this weekend/week. There might be a window if it stays cool all week like it's supposed to, and some of that hot water from the sky (or from the streets) gets into the groundwater.

Someone above mentioned the Pohopoco, which is a tailwater. That is safe to fish right now if you really want to tangle with a trout.

Last edited:
Find a creek or river with small mouth or pond action for bass. it'd be more productive

Back