Warm Water Mini- JAM 7 August 2010

There is a chance I my make it.

Fishidiot wrote:
Goodfortune,
There are several canoe/kayak rental places in the area that will deliver you to a start point and pick you up downriver. PM me and I'll suggest some. You're also welcome to float with me in my canoe - if you can tolerate a talking dachsund that goes bonkers at the sight of a fish. :)

Thanks for the offer FI; I'll take you up on it. I'm looking forward to paddling along with you and Benny :-D

This should be a lot of fun! :)

I just tied up a few "Musky looking" flies today and can't wait to see what I can conjure up!

I'm clear to go but am I the only guy who'll be wading or are there other landbound types?

Right now it looks as if there's gonna be a few guys wading - maybe some of them arriving later in the day and wading down around the take out point at Greenwood. Obviously, waders can fish wherever they want and don't have to show up at Greenwood in the evening unless they want to.
Don't write off wading. Right now, the river is very low and wading opportunities are very good. Although you won't see as much of the river, by wading, you can spend more time focused on fishing; less time messing with boats and not have to worry about reaching a destination before dark.
Also, some of the floaters, may choose to simply paddle around the put-in point rather float the distance to Greenwood (this is usually what I do when I go up by myself).

FI:

I remembered one of your posts from a while back, about tying flies for muskies. How did you go about tying in the integrated bite wire tippet into you flies?

Re: for the musky guys

I'll see if I can tie a few of them tonight.

Where is everyone camping?

In my house.
Driving in, driving home.
:)

Your reel won't be in at that time, sir.

I would just do a day trip, but I have to get the 'toon somewhere in central PA on sunday. May as well stay over.

goodfortune wrote:
FI:

I remembered one of your posts from a while back, about tying flies for muskies. How did you go about tying in the integrated bite wire tippet into you flies?

Mike,
There's any of a number of ways to it. I usually use 20lb twisted wire and connect the loop to the eye of the hook and close it with a crimp tool. I make the leader usually about 4-6 inches and close the other end with a crimp loop too. Be aware that some wire, esp the thinner stuff like 20lb, is course textured and sometimes if you knot mono directly to it it can chafe and cut the mono. To avoid this I usually place a split ring or small swivel to the end of the wire leader where the mono connects to it.

Attachments

• Wire Leader.jpg
    Wire Leader.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 3
Anyone have an address or GPS point for the meet-up point?

Afish's link says WWI take-out point.

FI wrote:

In response to some requests for detailed directions to the WW jam: As mentioned earlier, Thompsontown is off RT 22/322 roughly 30 or 35 miles north west of Harrisburg. The exit to the town is labeled as "Thompsontown." When you come down that exit ramp, turn left at the stop sign; drive to the next stop sign and turn right; drive about 100 yards to the center of town and turn left on what I believe is RT 303 (or Rt 313 or something similar); drive about half a mile and you'll see the bridge - the boat ramp meeting point is on the left just before the bridge. (Sorry, no coordinates - not a GPS guy here)

PFC map

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/county.htm

I went through the thread rapidfire looking for links and maps, missed it. Thanks.

You in tomorrow?

gfen wrote:
Anyone have an address or GPS point for the meet-up point?

Afish's link says WWI take-out point.

The map has the launch and take-out. Launch = meeting point.

Here is a link to the map that can be printed out:

WWI Float Map

See you all there!

I will be there with my Snoopy spincast rod and a dozen worms. What is the current over/under on someone having a heavy fly burried in their head during the first mile of the float? LMAO

Clouser crayfish, through hat and into scalp. Bro had to rip it out when I got home. Yow!

Hey Sight, I am going to get there early and set my rig up and tool around the launch area. When folks show up, we can get folks to watch our boats while we go drop off vehicles at take out.

Guys, I'm at the Pittman campground in Millerstown tonight. I will. Be at the launch in the noon hour for the float. - plan to float down to here And will need a shuttle back. There is a pfbc launch and parking here. Is this wbere the planned take out point is?

Copy and paste the GPS coordinates below into Google maps. That is the take out point.

40.530577,-77.141914

I'll be floating and will hook up with someone for a car shuttle.

I might throw my sleeping bag & tent in the car. Was planning on heading home after the evening, but if I stick around to share a brew....

Back