Warm Water Mini- JAM 7 August 2010

Bassist,
Fly rod choice is obviously a matter pf personal preferance. If I had to choose between a 5wt and a 9wt I'd actually choose the 9 merely because I'd rather be overgunned than under. Take both rods out in the backyard and cast your favorite bass flies and see how they cast. Lotsa guys like small bass flies but my preferance for river smallies leans toward flies that are quite heavy and large. Although the average river smallie is about 10" and well matched to a 5wt, forget about throwing muskie flies with a 5wt. Even if you aren't interested in muskies, channel cats and carp are much more numerous than muskies and if the water is clear you should get shots at them and a 9WT would likely be better. Of course, if you're wade fishing, bring both in your car and you can always walk back and swap one for the other or cache one on the shoreline while fishing with the other - just be aware that much of the shoreline along the Juniata is poison ivy.

I do most all my big river SMB fishing with an 8wt. I cast some heavy and/or wind resistant flies and even a 10-12" SM will put a nice bend in your rod. If I were to chose between a 5 & an 9, I would chose the 9wt. The heavier rod can do more. I would have trouble casting half the flies in my bass fly box with a 5wt. If in the future you are buying a bass rod, a 7wt is near ideal since it works for smaller river and streams as well as big water.

It also depends on conditions. If it's very windy or the water is high and off-color, the 9wt or spin gear would be the better choice. But at that point the better choice might be sitting around drinking a brew ;-) If the water is low and clear (my favorite conditions), the 9wt is likely to spook more fish. In typical mid-summer conditions, I catch far more fish with smaller flies and lighter line weights.

Conventional wisdom says an 8wt for bass fishing. Years ago, I followed that wisdom and found that it worked in the days when smallies would hit anything. I haven't fished an 8wt. for bass in at least a dozen years. But I don't use conventional bass patterns much either. Buggers, dries, and a few floating minnow patterns work well for me.

In low/clear conditions, or when fishing over smaller, more selective populations (the norm these days) I catch more fish with lighter line weights. I once fished a flying ant "hatch" on the Susky, where I had to go back to the car and get a 4wt with 5x tippet. They were feeding everywhere, but wouldn't touch anything delivered with a 6wt. Killed em after going to a 4wt. You just never know....

A lighter presentation works well on heavily-pressured or cautious smallies.

TimB wrote:
It also depends on conditions. If it's very windy or the water is high and off-color, the 9wt or spin gear would be the better choice. But at that point the better choice might be sitting around drinking a brew ;-) If the water is low and clear (my favorite conditions), the 9wt is likely to spook more fish. In typical mid-summer conditions, I catch far more fish with smaller flies and lighter line weights.

Conventional wisdom says an 8wt for bass fishing. Years ago, I followed that wisdom and found that it worked in the days when smallies would hit anything. I haven't fished an 8wt. for bass in at least a dozen years. But I don't use conventional bass patterns much either. Buggers, dries, and a few floating minnow patterns work well for me.

In low/clear conditions, or when fishing over smaller, more selective populations (the norm these days) I catch more fish with lighter line weights. I once fished a flying ant "hatch" on the Susky, where I had to go back to the car and get a 4wt with 5x tippet. They were feeding everywhere, but wouldn't touch anything delivered with a 6wt. Killed em after going to a 4wt. You just never know....

A lighter presentation works well on heavily-pressured or cautious smallies.

I've fished small for smallies in some small streams, but never on the bigger rivers. Sounds like fun!

I have resorted to smaller nymphs dead-drifted when things are slow.

Oh man poison ivy, looks like I'm wearing waders.

Ill bring both rods. Bought a new reel for my 5wt so I want put it to the "test."

Bummer, I have a 25th anniversary to go to for my uncle on August 7th, and even if I don't go the woman will be out of town so I have all three kids.

Also have a birthday for one of my kids during the proposed Delaware Summit.

Did some prospecting and recon of the river near where we'll have the jam next month. This is the first time I've been up there this summer. Here's the report:

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14606&forum=8

Thanks for the report. What's the water like in that stretch? Any riffles or drops? I've paddled and wade fished upriver a few times at the PFBC launches above Mifflintown and Mexico. Just wondering if it's about the same. I've looked at the Thompsontown launch in the past and the water there seemed pretty featureless if I remember right.

Tim,
The area where we'll meet for the jam is pretty diverse water and, I think, has slightly deeper and better structure than upriver vic Mifflintown. Truth be told, the middle and lower Juniata is pretty consistent in depth, structure etc. There are some riffles/rocks/eel weirs up and downstream of Thompsontown that require dragging to get a canoe thru in low water periods. No drops or falls in the area where we'll be fishing - there are some further downriver below Newport.

I’m in.
I can have my gear I have never used - reels or 8-10WT rods waiting for the right time to use (like Alaska trip).
I will be ready to wade/float options and maybe camping place.

I will use inflatable canoe from West Marine (purchased 3 years ago);

www.westmarine.com

Attachments

• canoe-poster.jpg
    canoe-poster.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 3
I'll be there sunday the 8th for sure. I'm not sure on the 7th yet.

Who's staying over Sat nite? And where will you be camped?
I wouldn't mind getting there early, setting up a tent, then heading to the mtg place for noon.
John

So did that spill effect the area you guys are going to be fishing ?

Fredrick wrote:
So did that spill effect the area you guys are going to be fishing ?

No. The truck fuel spill affected only the section down at the mouth at the confluence with the Susky.

I have a quick question regarding "shuttle" service. Are we going to figure it out at the launch or pre-plan something? The rack on my car is only big enough for one kayak, so I'm trying to get this figured out ahead of time.

Ill be wading or whatever. Or maybe Ill go hack down a tree, carve it out then use that as my battleship.

wgmiller wrote:
I have a quick question regarding "shuttle" service. Are we going to figure it out at the launch or pre-plan something? The rack on my car is only big enough for one kayak, so I'm trying to get this figured out ahead of time.

Wgm,

I'm sure Fishidiot will check in and have every last logistical detail accounted for like a well planned and executed military operation.... ;-)

I believe, with all the guys and vehicles, it shouldn't be hard to drive all the boat/pontoon/kayak vehicles to the launch point and leave the remaining vehicles at the take-out. At the end of the float, the guys with vehicles at the take-out can drive the boaters back to the launch point to get their vehicles. Of course we'll have to post sentries to guard the boats until we return....:lol:

Sounds like a plan. I'm sure I could probably find some "Perry/Juniata County hottie" to give me a lift back to the launch point if all else fails! :cool:

walmart4.jpg

If anyone wants to leave their car at the take out point and ride to the launch w/ me, you're welcome to. Just take me back for my car when we're done!

If you need the cars watched while we drive back and forth, I got 2 guys that would be willing to keep and eye on your stuff.

Attachments

• shuttle guys inc.JPG
    shuttle guys inc.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 3
I trust the guy on the left, but the guy on the right . . . I don't know . . . looks like of like a rat.

Back