Warm Water Mini- JAM 7 August 2010

I'm definitely interested in coming to the Warm Water Jam. It will be good to see you guys again, and to learn some new WW Fishing techniques.

I often use my 7 wt. steelhead setup to fish for Bass, but I understand that most muskie fishing is done with either a 9 wt or 10 wt rod. Is it possible to try after Muskies with my lighter 7 wt setup?

Feel free to make any comments/suggestions as always.

GF,
If I can make the WWjam, maybe we can rideshare.

You can certainly use a 7 weight. The ave musky you'll catch is maybe 35" - not much bigger than a good steely. As long as you can cast the bigger flies (which you can with a 7) and get some wire for those teeth...you'll be good.

I agree with David. A 7WT is fine.
You can certainly handle the average river muskie with a 7WT although if you were going to get a rod exclusively for them and really target trophy fish a 10 or 11WT would be ideal mainly because of the large flies. Tie up some streamer flies in the 5-7" range with some flashy material. These will be large enough to interest muskies and no where near too big for bass (river smallies love big muskie size streamers) while still being castable with a 7WT.

Will I get nailed to a cross if I spin fish?

Not if you use a bamboo spinning rod.

Sight_nymph wrote:
Will I get nailed to a cross if I spin fish?

:-o

Attachments

• SN NAILED!.jpg
    SN NAILED!.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 5
I will be bringing a spinning setup and fly gear, assuming I can make it.

No crucifixion. Just buy me a beer. That's the ultimate punishment. I don't think I'll survive it.

jayL wrote:
No crucifixion. Just buy me a beer. That's the ultimate punishment. I don't think I'll survive it.

Okay, How 'bout anyone using a spinning outfit is obligated to buy a beer for the FFers.

This is PAFF after all.....

If the spinning rod is needed salvage the day, it must be done.

Where in the hell do I get a bamboo spinning rod? Do they make silk line for spinning rods?

A few red & white Heddon poppers and I'll be in business. Leaving the pontoon at home and taking a canoe carved from the trunk of a tree. Coon hat is optional.

Great idea! I'm in. I'll be paddling my solo boat.

If I had to choose between a 5 wt and a 9wt, I'd definitely go with the 5. I'll be fishing a 6wt. which is as heavy as I'll go for summer smallies.

While I'll be bringing only fly rods for this trip I certainly don't personally object to anyone spin fishing. When I float big rivers I often take a fly rod for bass and a big baitcaster for muskies. For some guys this may be the only chance they get to bass fish a big river this year and spin gear (usually) makes for easier fishing and it's just as fun. And if you've really got the itch to pick a fight with a muskie spin gear will definitely improve the odds. PM me if you'd like more info about lures and spin gear for the Juniata.

fly%20fish%20or%20die.jpg

NUFF SAID

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
Coon hat is optional.

I can lend you one of those, if you'll lend me the 'toon.

Better yet, LL can paddle us all in that new drift boat you're convincing him to buy.

Geesh Tim way make me rethink using the 9wt now I'm not sure if I should use my 9wt or my 5wt!!! 5wt would be more fun when I hook into a smallie but harder to cast any thing other then a woolly bugger. Then the 9wt should be able to cast any thing and handle any thing larger like a muskie... hmmm...

But Ill be bringing spin gear as well. I love catching ANY THING on a crankbait.

The 9wt will definitely handle larger flies, but throwing heavy line weights isn't much fun for me. If you are floating, casting distance isn't a big issue. If you are wading, that's a little different. This is all assuming you are fishing for smallies...

You could fish the 9 during the day and switch to your 5 in the evening if there's much surface activity for bugs.

I'm pretty certain I'll be there. Assuming I am, I can loan you a 7wt. outfit for the day. That would be a good compromise for you. I'll probably bring a spare 6wt. as well.

Back