Warm Water Mini- JAM 7 August 2010

[size=x-small]Not too mention being a fan of johnnycakes.[/size]

How are the conditions? Wishing for rain or not

Watch yourselves out there never know what kind of folks you will run into :lol:

:lol:

Slipped my mind that my softball playoffs are this weekend...weekday league, so why wouldn't the playoffs be on the weekend.

I'm out!

Weather is looking perfect for the weekend:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/allergies/weekend/USPA1058

High of 81, low of 60 and SUNNY!!!

Okay - a few days to go - things are lookin good. As of tonight the river gage at Newport reads 3.48. Perfect. The forecast for Sat also looks nice although this will bring out some additional boaters and swimmers, which isn't a big deal as there's plenty of water. Let's hope we see only some localized storms this week and conditions should be ideal.

As for the plan:
-We'll meet at the Thompsontown boat ramp at noon (by all means show up early and do some fishin earlier if you care to).

- I'll have a handout with directions to the take out/rally location which will be the PFBC boat ramp access at Greenwood where we'll finish the day at 9-930pm. Waders can simply drive down there at their leasure depending on where they wish to fish. If you have a boat/pontoon you might care to show up a few minutes early to unload before the briefing and carpool.

-When we link up at noon as mentioned earlier I'll do a brief orientation to the river with some tips on where to wade and how to fish the river including some tips on how and where to look for smallies and muskies (you'll be sworn to secrecy :)).

-As far as the shuttle goes, we'll work that out after the orientation briefing and will drive some of the cars downriver to Greenwood ramp (which is a bit over 6 miles), drop the cars off and then head back up to T-town to our boats/pontoons. Floaters should plan on finishing at Greenwood about 8:30pm so as to have some time before dark to link up, drive back to T-town which only takes a few minutes, recover cars and return to Greenwood to load boats before the 9-9:30 rally. We can post a guard on the boats or otherwise have Paulie whack any dueling banjo boys that show up at Greenwood. :-D

While I don't personally care much for fishing the white fly hatch, there's a good chance we'll see 'em at dusk. If you've never seen a white fly hatch, it's a force of nature and can provide some good fishing if you're willing to fish after dark. For those who might show up late and miss the orientation, the Greenwood access site is a bit hard to find - drive back down 22-322 from T-town towards Millerstown; get off at the Millerstown exit and turn right at the stop sign (this is SR 1015 or the Newport or Millerstown Rd); you'll drive about 1 mile and keep a look out for the typical brown PFBC sign on the right (it comes up fast) and this marks the takeout/rally site. Don't forget sunscreen, a PFD if you're a boater, wading shoes as boaters will need to drag thru some riffles and will want to get out and wade fish a bit. Lotsa fluids to drink and maybe a snack for dinner. I also recommend a wading staff a this is big water although the current is mild and it's really not tough wading.

Also of note: So far it appears we'll only be in canoes, yaks, pontoon boats etc. If someone is planning to bring a larger, more stable boat such as a john boat or drift boat or something like this, please send me a PM.
Thanks,
DaveW

If you stay to fish the white fly, bring an old t-shirt or something to wrap around your mouth and nose. In the late 80's, I'd wear goggles and wrap an old shirt around my head when I'd fish it. You can only eat so many of them before you've had enough. :)

I should be able to drop by the area around 5:30 or so for an hour or two. Anybody going to be wading near the takeout?

Boyer

Boyer,

I most likely will, unless someone offers me a means of floating. I don't get my 'toon til sunday.

Nice! I may be there earlier than that, depending on what kind of mood my boss is in and how busy we are. I told the wife I was swinging by, but I'm not sure yet if that gets me out of bed time with the little ones, at which point I can stay until after dark. Otherwise I'll hafta' peace out by 7:30 or so. LOL

Boyer

Sweet! It's off 34. You gotta love when you get directions that pretty much say "take a right out of your parking lot at work and drive a few miles, turn left and stop." Nice! This will be one of my first big river smallie excursions since right after I took up FF almost 7 years ago. I'm pretty pumped!

Boyer

Matt and Jay,
Hope to see you there.

In response to some requests for detailed directions to the WW jam: As mentioned earlier, Thompsontown is off RT 22/322 roughly 30 or 35 miles north west of Harrisburg. The exit to the town is labeled as "Thompsontown." When you come down that exit ramp, turn left at the stop sign; drive to the next stop sign and turn right; drive about 100 yards to the center of town and turn left on what I believe is RT 303 (or Rt 313 or something similar); drive about half a mile and you'll see the bridge - the boat ramp meeting point is on the left just before the bridge. (Sorry, no coordinates - not a GPS guy here)

There's a nice, family owned grocery store right in the center of town (complete with cool fish mounts) for snacks and drinks but no chain fast food or Sheetz etc in T-town.

Also, I'd add to the recommended gear list if you're going to be floating: zip loc or waterproof bags for cameras or cell phones, flashlight, old towel in case you're wet/muddy when riding in someone else's car.

Are there any places that offer canoe rentals in the area? if so, would anyone care to go in for one with me?

I probably should have asked before, but it just crossed my mind.

It looks like I am camping. I am meeting Andrew in the area to buy my pontoon from him Sunday. If anyone wants to split a cheap motel room, I'd do that. See you guys there.

I'm thinking it over, if the wife isn't taking her mom out, I'm in. Elsewise, imbabysitting.

Alas, I'm footbound and wading if I'm cleared to go

Goodfortune,
There are several canoe/kayak rental places in the area that will deliver you to a start point and pick you up downriver. PM me and I'll suggest some. You're also welcome to float with me in my canoe - if you can tolerate a talking dachsund that goes bonkers at the sight of a fish. :)

FI,
You want to tote my Brittany w/ you? He got sprayed last night but the skunk smell should be gone by then. :)

Just an FYI, I am officially out. House shopping on Sat.

Back