Tournament etiquette

I'd like to welcome everyone to the Flyforum tournement.
we will have several catagories to include 1st, 2nd, & 3rd places.
Trophies of course will not be given for just being a participant.
Catagories such as:
Proper praise to a fellow flyer
Most Humorous
Most Informative
Best troll
Least number of posts
Greatest links
Greatest links that don't have any real connections to the thread.
Etc. (we will make up our own rules as we go along)
Remember if you cut into someone you will be disqualified.

This is a PARADY! But not really - I think in many ways we are always in competition with each other, whether it be a flyrod, a pen, an interview, a keyboard entry. So let's keep it clean and enjoy ourselves.

CRB wrote:
I hope they filed the proper paper work with pafbc if not I would have a problem. I think these tournaments need to consider the average Joe and avoid eiltest mentality to stream etiquette. I hpe that is the intent of these competitions. Otherwise fish private waters.

It appears as though they follow any regulations and fill out whatever paperwork is required, they also furnished trash cans for the competitors to limit garbage..

All in all I seen nothing worth being angry about, seemed like some nice folks just having a good time.

I don't understand the negativity, but I guess some people need something to complain or be upset about

Dave_W wrote:
While FFing tournaments have long been a contentious topic. . .frankly, this thread includes some posts which include unwarranted name calling and provocation and that are not in keeping with the spirit of our forum community. I have edited as appropriate.

Disagreement on a topic such as this is to be expected, but take it easy on the name calling folks - we're friends around here.
Dave W

A little confused, allowing someone to openly say that they would vandalize and tear down tournament markers is okay, but calling the person who said he would do such things the appropriate name that would belong to such a person who would commit acts like that is not allowed?

I don't like name calling either, but if someone would intentionally ruin a fly fishing tournament... idk..

also I think I win run on sentence of the year with that one.. haha sorry about that

Im really not arguing with you just wanted to explain myself a bit, wont see me use any names anymore, I understand the rule.

I also don't like adding a competitive edge to fly angling, but I also don't care if anyone else does. I would fish a public stream like I would without a tournament taking place. And that means I would not disturb any other angler. In fact, I may try, like the OP to keep my distance, just to let them have their day of fun.

Salvelinusfontinali wrote:
Just looking for some opinions on what type of etiquette should be offered to fishermen fishing a tournament on a stream that you visited to fish.
This happened to me on Saturday on the little Juniata, noticed two guys getting ready and seen only one was fishing and the other had a clipboard and etc, and quickly put together that a tournament was going on. I talked to them to see where the beats where and was explained to that there were ribbons designating the different beats along the stream. The first beat started a bit downstream and then the following went upstream quite a ways.
Fortunately where I parked had easy access downstream from the first area so I could fish without interfering, but obviously this isn't always the case.
If you were in a situation where you wanted to fish a stream and a tournament was going on right were you were planning on going how much room do you provide the fishermen that is actively fishing his beat? What type of etiquette is given?
I would assume some have the opinion that fishing is fishing and don't provide any special room for someone in a tournament, I just wanted to be courteous to the fishermen and I just went way downstream and stayed away, what would you do?

Pretty simple, just offer them the same etiquette you would any other flyfisher. Sounds like that's basically what you did. It's happened to us up on the West Branch Ausable and it was no different than if they were any other flyfisher, meaning I gave them room and they gave me room accordingly and we fished different areas of the same extended run of pocket water. I was already in the run when they arrived and I just made a slight adjustment to how I was going to cover the water. Basically I just slowed down and fished each spot a little more thoroughly, which was fine by me. The tournament fishers are more likely to be moving on a little quicker than you or I might so the need for any real conflict is pretty low IMO.

These types of tournaments are typically well-organized and have pretty good, etiquette-minded anglers. In fact, from what I've experienced they tend to stress respect and being good stewards. They are generally not your typical local R&G club fishing tournament, which while fun and great opportunites for families and kids to enjoy, tend to be crowded and sometimes attract arguing over casting over lines, etc.

Well, sadly I can't say it surprises me that reading some of the responses here, I think any elitism or downright nasty behavior and lack of etiquette an angler might encounter is much more likely to be from some of the members of this forum than from the flyfishing tournament participants.

RyanR wrote:
Well, sadly I can't say it surprises me that reading some of the responses here, I think any elitism or downright nasty behavior and lack of etiquette an angler might encounter is much more likely to be from some of the members of this forum than from the flyfishing tournament participants.

Sadly I agree

When I am in a comp and there is a recreational angler in my beat I will approach them introduce myself. I explain what is going on and stress that they have every right to be in the same water as I am. I let them know my intentions and how I plan on fishing my beat. If they decide to stay I let them know that when I get close to where they are I will probably jump up ahead of them and try not to disturb them and the fish. I will wade cautiously and not to spook anything that they may be moving up too. Most times the angler is very interested in watching and will then provide information as what they have noticed. Some will respond like Sal and ask where the beat water is and if they don't know the river well ask if I could give them suggestions on where else to go.

Well, apparently thing didn't go so smoothly on that Oil Cr. tournament. Most complaint occurred in the open water with the majority of the complaints coming from the bait and spin guys. I guess some of the comp guys tried to squeeze in the meaty part of popular pools and runs where the fishing was hot.
The big fail on this TL comp was to section the beats all along the easiest accessed and most congested water on a weekend in early May on this popular stream.

Becker- what do you do if there are already 5 guys pounding your beat?

I can stand in one spot and cover that whole beat with my large Mepps snagger (oops I mean spinner).

By the way I don't need no contest. I view all other anglers as competitors.

PRO TIP FOR THE DAY: The Troutlegend store has a deal on hot pink tungsten beads if you need some.

Hey If any of you legends catch a big Brown with a Rapala in its tail and trailing 60 yards of mono it's mine.

See you on the stream! Ronnie

I would just leave and find another spot or stream. But I would not be happy about it. Nothing personal, but I am not a fan of fishing tournaments. They used to hold them on the Susquehanna too. Annoying.....

SBecker wrote:
When I am in a comp and there is a recreational angler in my beat I will approach them introduce myself. I explain what is going on and stress that they have every right to be in the same water as I am. I let them know my intentions and how I plan on fishing my beat. If they decide to stay I let them know that when I get close to where they are I will probably jump up ahead of them and try not to disturb them and the fish. I will wade cautiously and not to spook anything that they may be moving up too. Most times the angler is very interested in watching and will then provide information as what they have noticed. Some will respond like Sal and ask where the beat water is and if they don't know the river well ask if I could give them suggestions on where else to go.

That's a pretty good explanation of what goes on.

Also, the beats are marked out before the contest with ribbons attached to trees.

Also, when the contest anglers explain things to the "recreational anglers" I've heard them mention other parts of the creek where the contest is not being held..

The question I'll ask everyone here, not just SBecker, is:

Are these actions in keeping with traditional angler etiquette?

Do you all do these things when you go fishing?

Suppose someone did these things in a non-contest setting; how would you react?

Salvelinusfontinali wrote:
CRB wrote:
I hope they filed the proper paper work with pafbc if not I would have a problem. I think these tournaments need to consider the average Joe and avoid eiltest mentality to stream etiquette. I hpe that is the intent of these competitions. Otherwise fish private waters.

It appears as though they follow any regulations and fill out whatever paperwork is required, they also furnished trash cans for the competitors to limit garbage..

All in all I seen nothing worth being angry about, seemed like some nice folks just having a good time.

I don't understand the negativity, but I guess some people need something to complain or be upset about

I'm not angry.

dano wrote:
Well, apparently thing didn't go so smoothly on that Oil Cr. tournament. Most complaint occurred in the open water with the majority of the complaints coming from the bait and spin guys. I guess some of the comp guys tried to squeeze in the meaty part of popular pools and runs where the fishing was hot.
The big fail on this TL comp was to section the beats all along the easiest accessed and most congested water on a weekend in early May on this popular stream.

This is the problem......

dano wrote:

This is the problem......

foxtrapper1972 wrote:

I can stand in one spot and cover that whole beat with my large Mepps snagger (oops I mean spinner).

PRO TIP FOR THE DAY: The Troutlegend store has a deal on hot pink tungsten beads if you need some.

Hey If any of you legends catch a big Brown with a Rapala in its tail and trailing 60 yards of mono it's mine.

Thanks for the laugh

foxtrapper1972 wrote:

I fish it. If there are 5 guys there already they clearly do not mind a crowd and I will just add too it.

You are missing out if you don't use pink metalic beaded Waltz's.

troutbert wrote:
SBecker wrote:

That's a pretty good explanation of what goes on.

Also, the beats are marked out before the contest with ribbons attached to trees.

Also, when the contest anglers explain things to the "recreational anglers" I've heard them mention other parts of the creek where the contest is not being held..

The question I'll ask everyone here, not just SBecker, is:

Are these actions in keeping with traditional angler etiquette?

Do you all do these things when you go fishing?

Suppose someone did these things in a non-contest setting; how would you react?

I ALWAYS ask an angler that is an area I planned on fishing if they are working up or down.

I think the trout legends, the paff jam, the oil creek event and the hay creek rodeo should all hold its events at the same time on the same stretch of spring creek.

I'll bring popcorn and soda.

Back