Steelhead Thread 2014-2015

turkey wrote:
PatrickC wrote:
BTW, every year, at some point, we make the joke that there are more fisherman than fish on Elk. Today may be the 1st time I believe that is literally true. Once again the rain skirted NW PA :-/

Ive driven around 2 of the last 3 weekends and it's been packed. Enough anglers that I haven't been motivated enough to wader up yet.

Wise move!

The 10 day forecast looks freakin' awesome....

Sure does.. Gotta love fishing in an Erie snow squall. Last year quickly turned winter into my favorite time to fish

Just looked at the Uncle John's webcam..... :-D

Now there will only be 5 people for every fish in the crik, instead of 20...

It was a great time. Really enjoyed the company and the laughs. Good to meet Fishwagon and Tim Robinson. Tons of laughs on the stream and at the Avonia. I had a great time as did Moose. Definitely on the calendar for next year. GG

I will be heading to the Oak Orchard area this Sunday/Monday. Does anyone have any advice?

Dress warm and take a snow shovel just in case.

Pwigglez wrote:
I will be heading to the Oak Orchard area this Sunday/Monday. Does anyone have any advice?

Be ready for combat....

it's been elbow to elbow that last few weeks. browns are taking swung flies in darker colors

Its supposed to be cold so I'm hoping that will keep many of the yayhoos at home. Also, I've been told to check out some of the smaller tribs to beat the crowds. I've been scouring google maps and have come up with a couple that seem reasonably close to OO. I don't want to name drop and burn anyone's spot. (PM's welcome)

you won't burn any spots, they are all well known

sandfly wrote:
you won't burn any spots, they are all well known

I left my list of potential tribs at home, but the largest of them was eighteen mile. Anyone have any opinions on this trib? Just as packed as OO? Better/worse fishing etc?

The cold will not help at this point in the season. The crowds may back down a little in a month or so. There are no spots to burn on OO. It's all of a 3/4 mile stretch that you can fish.

Have fun. The browns are cool and the steelhead are massive.

Fished Oak few weeks back, lots of people but also tons of fish.

Eggs , spawn and streamers should be good. Buy lead weight in PA because NY state does not sell it.

Erie got almost a foot of snow so far today so if you.'re heading up , be prepared.

Tons of fishermen !!! Unnamed streams low all need rain and they should start dumping the Erie Canal this weekend. Find a good hole on a trib and dredge it .. Pm on the way GG

bingsbaits wrote:
Erie got almost a foot of snow so far today so if you.'re heading up , be prepared.

I can't wait until is starts melting. I won't know what to do with actual flowing water ;-)

Just was up the last 4 days to OO area tribs. Fishing was so-so due to the low water. But, we caught some each day. If there is precip, the smaller tribs will fish well because there is fish there just no water.

The day we left we got a good mix of browns and steelies. Just had to get on some fish and be patient until they weren't spooked, then hookups came with some regularity.

The canal drainage should start very soon also. Can help and hurt depending on the trib you want to fish.

Definitley try the other areas you scouted out though, I promise it will be worth your time. My Dad and I have been going to NY for 10+ years and I have only ever laid my boots in Oak one time. That amount of crowd just isn't my cup of tea. To each their own though, many people love the place.

watch the weather, lake effect is in the forecast for the next week. when the areas around the lakes get hit, 12" is small stuff. just got done snow blowing 14". 5am no snow 4:30 14" more on the way:(
NY will close and shut down roads for days. Hope that helps.

I fished it last weekend. It was very crowded but still lots of fish were caught. Both browns and Steelhead. Most were taken on 6 and 8mm very light colored beads. Water was low and clear.

Back