Steelhead Thread 2014-2015

rub it in, why dontcha ;-)

I just made reservations at the Quality Inn in Fairview.

I'm staying friday and saturday nights and leaving very early sunday.

I have about a 5 1/2 hour drive. What time should I try to arrive?

Elk, Walnut, and Crooked all seem to be in good shape, levels decent and good clarity. . Hooked into a few fish and landed 2 on white streamers. Morning/early afternoon seemed to be much better than the evening

LeTortAngler2 wrote:
Elk, Walnut, and Crooked all seem to be in good shape, levels decent and good clarity.

I've always found it interesting how that view is different from one person to the next.

My buddy and I are going up Tuesday afternoon so we get a good nights sleep and can be on the water all day Wednesday. We are planning to fish as long as the water levels hold out and we have some green water. Staying at the Green Roof Inn, room 302. Very nice motel for the money.

The room is plenty large and there is a nice size frig, microwave, vanity area, coffee service, plenty of heat. Crowley's restaurant is just next door. Good food. Closed on Monday. Another place to stay if you can't get a room at the GRI is the Sunset Motel about twelve miles west of Girard on Rte 20. Older motel but has frig and microwave and rate is about $55 per night.

The forecast bodes well for showers on Wednesday night so I think we will have good water the entire trip. Might shoot over to the Conneaut if the flow gets up to 230 cfs.

KathyG wrote;

"I have about a 5 1/2 hour drive. What time should I try to arrive?"

I'd try to arrive in the area at dawn so you can grab a hot drink and a breakfast sandwich. If you are in Girard there is a 24 hour gas station at the light that sells hot drinks and breakfast sandwiches.

You can go down and try the water at the Legion or go down closer to Rte 5.

talking of food, what diner do folks recommend in Oswego & pulaski for the Salmon River for breakfast ?

snow is no longer forecasted for Saturday which is a shame, but still 15-25mph winds, which should give me some elbow room to cast ;-)

geebee wrote:
talking of food, what diner do folks recommend in Oswego & pulaski for the Salmon River for breakfast ?

snow is no longer forecasted for Saturday which is a shame, but still 15-25mph winds, which should give me some elbow room to cast ;-)

Elbow room...yes. Room for the rest of your arm and rod...probably not.

Note to members: This the the general Steelhead Thread. There seems to be some confusion since there's back and forth on here about fishing the Salmon River mixed in with fishing Erie for the Steelhead Jam this coming weekend. Here is the thread for the Erie Steelhead Jam this weekend as found in the FF events and meet-up forum.

Good luck to all.

afishinado wrote:

Note to members: This the the general Steelhead Thread. There seems to be some confusion since there's back and forth on here about fishing the Salmon River mixed in with fishing Erie for the Steelhead Jam this coming weekend.

afish - so is this the place for me to ask general questions on going up to Pulaski or not ?

:-?

geebee wrote:
afishinado wrote:

Note to members: This the the general Steelhead Thread. There seems to be some confusion since there's back and forth on here about fishing the Salmon River mixed in with fishing Erie for the Steelhead Jam this coming weekend.

afish - so is this the place for me to ask general questions on going up to Pulaski or not ?

:-?

Geebee,

Yes. Post on here if you wish.

Some members going to the Steelhead Jam this weekend are posting on this thread while most others going to the Jam are posting on the other thread I listed above. I was just trying to keep everyone on the same page (so to speak) so everyone can make connections.

The SR at Pulaski has been fishing well for steelies. They could use a little more water, but I would expect you will have a great time. Good luck

Rumor has it, FarmerDave flossed one on day one of the Jam :-D

:-o

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 2
Proformance 1 the rest of us 0. Fish around, but spooky. Lost one this am.
Dave is the dentist for sure. lolGG

Luckily, there are not many other folks around and you pretty much have Elk to yourselves...

:-D

BTW, every year, at some point, we make the joke that there are more fisherman than fish on Elk. Today may be the 1st time I believe that is literally true. Once again the rain skirted NW PA :-/

I was out today as well. Caught one but I hooked the top fly on a tandem rig that was foul hooked on it. Got two flys out of the deal haha

Very slow going today. Hopefully some rain hits tonight.

PatrickC wrote:
Rumor has it, FarmerDave flossed one on day one of the Jam :-D

One?

PatrickC wrote:
BTW, every year, at some point, we make the joke that there are more fisherman than fish on Elk. Today may be the 1st time I believe that is literally true. Once again the rain skirted NW PA :-/

Ive driven around 2 of the last 3 weekends and it's been packed. Enough anglers that I haven't been motivated enough to wader up yet.

Back