Steelhead Thread 2014-2015

I would not suggest 18 mile. Check your PMs.

there's always the finger lakes for browns and land locks !

My parents have a place on Canadaguia Lake. Theres a few places that I know near Naples that I might try to fish on the way home. Not to mention my favorite breakfast joint is right in Naples and is worth a stop.

I'm headed up tomorrow. Levels look ok. Looking for a bit of snow melt to help the levels a bit more. Looks to be a good day.

I'll be feeshin tomorrow as well. Some more snow coming tonight.

Gauges have been creeping up a little all day so hopefully the creeks will have a nice steelhead green flow this weekend.

here is real steelhead weather, looks like the Lake Erie tribs will start freezing over Monday night.
From NWS
http://www.weather.gov/

Tonight Snow, mainly after 9pm. Low around 31. South wind 6 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Monday Snow. High near 35. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west 13 to 18 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Monday Night Snow showers. Low around 18. Wind chill values as low as zero. Windy, with a southwest wind 26 to 31 mph, with gusts as high as 46 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Tuesday Snow showers with widespread blowing snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 26. Wind chill values as low as -2. Windy, with a southwest wind around 31 mph, with gusts as high as 46 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
Tuesday Night Snow showers before midnight, then a chance of snow showers after midnight. Low around 17. Windy, with a southwest wind 23 to 29 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Thanks for the info CRB. Let the season begin!! That ice on the guides though.............and I should probably fix that leak in my waders :-(

The snow melt helped the conditions a little, but the PA tribs could really use a big blow out. Another batch of new fish would be nice too.

IMG_4237_zpse063ac53.jpg

Get to oak orchard and SR quickly for that true chrome dome experience. Better pack your snow shoes. Lmao.

yep, some parts of western NY will get 5 FEET of snow out of this!!!!

Yes, Moose deserves a good dump. LOL GG

48" has fallen at the CAT. Temps and rain for the weekend. Big blow out on the way with snow the next week.

CRB wrote:
48" has fallen at the CAT. Temps and rain for the weekend. Big blow out on the way with snow the next week.

Much needed for the PA tribs! :)

CRB wrote:

Not quite 48". More in the neighborhood of 6" inland to 30" near shore.
We didn't need it here as we have been catching some of the rain that Erie has been missing. Numbers had picked considerably the last few days and by Monday, when stream temps finally stabilized at 35 deg., fishing got good.
Even the brown trout were moving for a fly.

Attachments

• 3 019L.jpg
    3 019L.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 3 027 (Large).jpg
    3 027 (Large).jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 2
That water looks really clear for the Catt. Usually it's like chocolate milk. Glad you caught it when it was right. GG

just happy my van was down I might have been caught in this storm they just had, friend up there has 5' of snow near the catt. I would have been stuck in walmart parking lot till may !!!

gulfgreyhound wrote:
That water looks really clear for the Catt. Usually it's like chocolate milk. Glad you caught it when it was right. GG

Visibility was about 2 to 2 1/2 feet. I can live with that.
It's been a good year in terms of clarity and fishable days.
It was nice to see some winter run fish. Like the PA tribs, it seems that the number of winter run fish has diminished considerably during the past few years.

fishin has been good. Rain ended yesterday snow is gone. Streams will be low and clear by tomorrow eve.

Anyone out in Western PA or NY think the Catt will come down enough to be fishable by the weekend?

Is there decent late winter/early spring steelhead fishing? The doctor says I can't fish until then (broken arm). While I plan on proving him wrong I wouldn't attempt a steelhead trip until then anyway.

Back