Steelhead 2013-2014 Thread

seems to be a common theme.. fished the upper part of Elk on Saturday for 5 hours.. 1 hook-up and landed.

we fished sunday on upper elk. the water had about 18 inches visibility . we caught 6 each from daylight to about 130 pm then, we went exploring on the eastern side had 2 hookups on 16 mile and pissed around at cascade creek for a bit before heading back to upper elk where i had one more hookup and my buddy landed a nice 30 inch ohio torpedo at the rick road access all in all it wasnt a bad day but it was slow at times the fish seemed to be keying in on whites and hot red colors happy new year all be safe out there

secret spot on erie trib. wow.

pete12don wrote:
secret spot on erie trib. wow.

It's so good you can't even see it on Google maps ;-)

The slush was pretty bad on Elk this morning. Hooked and lost one. Same for my buddy. We made it a short day due to the temps. They will all likely be locked up across OH, PA, and NY here in a few days with the projected Arctic cold early next week. Hopefully it's brief and we can get back on the water soon. Who knows, the weather folks are frequently wrong. If we're lucky it will rain like mad on Sunday and blow them all out (always remaining hopeful)!

I miss this thread!

I will have the flu tomorrow... anyone out there today? Elk looks high but coming down, might head further east though? Any thoughts / suggestions / tips?

My look at the Uncle John's Cabin cams told me tomorrow will be the day, so long as the rain and or melt subsides slightly. If you are coming from the south, stop at upper Elk. If it is high and muddy, go east. If not, fish it there or hop downstream until you find water to your liking.

I fished upper Walnut today. I think that tomorrow will be prime and even Thursday on Elk will be good. I of course will be at work.

Elk had more stain than normal for the flows today. 20 Mile was booming and stained significantly as well. Tomorrow will be your best day either way. There is no snow left to melt. Get out and fish.

Thanks Guys.

Patrick- think i should head over to 20 mile in the morning? coming from the south and can hit elk on my way home? Any patterns good today?

NOAA rain projections for Erie tonight are 0.02" So, I doubt it will mess anything up.

It won't make much difference which one you hit 1st Mucka, they will both be fine tomorrow unless some crazy amount of rain were to happen unexpectedly.

As for patterns, honestly, I'm more hung-up on presentation than specific patterns for Erie steelhead. It occasionally matters, but what always matters is presentation (especially in cold water). Had them take different eggs and different streamers today. There were a few nice fresh fish around. Fish what you are most confident with and put it where they live. You should have a good day!

The more stained than normal for the flow was because of the rain. Upper Elk looked picture perfect on Monday morning but then it poured overnight.

Thanks Patrick. Looking forward to getting back out tomorrow regardless of how things go. A bad day on the stream still beats a good day at the office.

Rain and snow showers likely, mainly between midnight and 3am. Cloudy, with a low around 29. South wind 8 to 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
watch out for icy roads all are untreated as of 9pm

turkey wrote:
The more stained than normal for the flow was because of the rain. Upper Elk looked picture perfect on Monday morning but then it poured overnight.

Who cares... good for you for getting out! I'm jealous!

Thanks CRB I'll be sure to take it easy especially with it still being the wee his of the morning on my trek up

Hit 20 all day today. Great day.. Landed ten and lost another five... tons of fresh fish moved it. Lots of action all around for most guys. Only saw three fish leave the stream all day so hopefully they'll stay around for a while

David wrote:
Who cares... good for you for getting out! I'm jealous!

I needed it. Bad. If you get a chance to go up, let me know. Maybe I'll have the day off...stranger things a happened.

Mucka, sounds like a good day.

Thinking of heading up Saturday.

was hoping to go to Erie tomorrow. Any idea's if there will be open water, or will it freeze up over night?

Back