Steelhead 2013-2014 Thread

Mucka wrote:
Figures the year I begin fly fishing and get addicted that winter makes a roaring comeback.

Well, again, the upside is you'll probably be able to fish a little longer into the Spring. Last year by the 3rd week of April, we were pretty much done with Steelhead (which is way early). The cabin fever is particularly bad this year with the extreme cold. If it weren't for that, it wouldn't seem so bad.

Yea I can't complain too much.. Have been able to blow a few days off work throughout the winter for some great days of fishing.. Just haven't made it out in about a month now and getting some serious cabin fever

Any water opening up in Ohio yet? I have a serious itch. :)

From what I hear there's some open water here and there, but for the most part thing's are still mostly frozen. I saw some pics two days ago of some smaller tribs that were almost frozen from bank to bank. I fished a bigger stocked stream in PA yesterday and today that had some shelf ice in places which wasn't an issue at all, plenty fishable, but then yesterday afternoon I hit a smaller stream that was full of ice and only had little pockets of open water here and there.

I am anxiously awaiting the next big thaw/blow-out then it should be game on from there on out....

I actually saw a person on Uncle John's webcam fishing Elk Creek yesterday. East End Angler still reports all east side streams are frozen with the exception of parts of 16 Mile.

Good signs, bit of a warm up this week as well.

Let me ask, what would be your go-to flies/ patterns for the late winter/ early spring, "ice-out" conditions were about to encounter? Not trying to steal hot patterns, but just curious as to opinions.

fishingood wrote:
Good signs, bit of a warm up this week as well.

Let me ask, what would be your go-to flies/ patterns for the late winter/ early spring, "ice-out" conditions were about to encounter? Not trying to steal hot patterns, but just curious as to opinions.

It's been several years since I hit any tribs in Feb or March, but for me I usually went smaller in late winter and early spring and I used to see a lot of little black stoneflies.

Fell, I tended to favor buggers and leech patterns and maybe sucker spawn. Late winter and spring I'd favor nymphs, single eggs, and small sucker spawn (because that is when suckers spawn.;-))

Water clarity also entered into this. Once the water levels picked up, I'd go back to the buggers, etc...

Any further news on Ohio tribs? Looks like elk cleared itself out today. Any word if the Connie did too? I can't tell from the gauges? I'm dying to get out!

Conny's very high just like everything else, and it'll probably have a big ice jam on the lower stretches(like everything else).

I'm planning on hitting some non-steelhead streams in PA this weekend, but if that doesn't work out or if I change my mind I'm thinkin' of checking out a few smaller streams in Ohio for chrome if fishable.

I'll almost certainly be on some smaller water Saturday.. Want to get out for some steel desperately maybe I'll see you there streamer

Usually take a spring trip this weekend each year, but decided to postpone it for two weeks.

tomorrow my be the day.
weather for the week:
Tuesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 42. Southeast wind 7 to 9 mph.
Tuesday Night A chance of rain, mainly after 4am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 36. Breezy, with a south wind 11 to 16 mph increasing to 20 to 25 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Wednesday Showers. High near 47. Windy, with a south wind 24 to 29 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Wednesday Night Rain likely before midnight, then a chance of rain and snow. Cloudy, with a low around 31. Breezy, with a southwest wind 18 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Thursday A chance of snow showers before 2pm, then a chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Thursday Night A chance of rain showers before 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Friday A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Friday Night Rain and snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 32. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Saturday Rain and snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 38. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Saturday Night A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Sunday A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 28. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Sunday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 17.
Monday Partly sunny, with a high near 26.

Thanks for the report, CRB.

Anyone fishing this weekend?

every weekend for next 9 weeks... every monday and a couple tuesdays in april to round out the season

are there still ice jams at the mouths or are they gone? was out in Ohio last weekend and was a total waste of a day- got some good scouting in though but thats about it. Was surprised to see how much ice was still out there. thinking about getting sick on Friday if the rain makes for good levels... Things open at the mouths in PA or are they still jammed up?

http://fishsteelheadalley.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=138

thanks- never even knew about that site.. good stuff

Back