Steelhead 2013-2014 Thread

Heads up arround leagion area on Elk Creek:

"An ice jam is obstructing the flow of Elk Creek near Legion Park in Girard Township on March 21.

The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission has warned that the mile-long jam could break free with changing temperatures. Anyone downstream should use caution until conditions improve."

Alert for all concerned Fishermen
March 2014

A land owner on Upper Elk Creek, upstream of PFBC Rick Road Access, has new PFBC signs alerting anglers DO NOT ENTER THIS PROPERTY. If you see these signs, the land owner wants you stay off his yard and property, walk only in or along the banks of Elk Creek. At this point, the owner is still allowing anglers to fish his property. What prompted this is when a few angler(s) walked thru his yard and right by his house, and then failed to be respectful to his request to stay in the creek and away from his little white cottage adjacent to the creek.

CRB wrote:

Alert for all concerned Fishermen
March 2014

A land owner on Upper Elk Creek, upstream of PFBC Rick Road Access, has new PFBC signs alerting anglers DO NOT ENTER THIS PROPERTY. If you see these signs, the land owner wants you stay off his yard and property, walk only in or along the banks of Elk Creek. At this point, the owner is still allowing anglers to fish his property. What prompted this is when a few angler(s) walked thru his yard and right by his house, and then failed to be respectful to his request to stay in the creek and away from his little white cottage adjacent to the creek.

What is wrong with people? Sad part is, even if the land owner calls the authorities….they won't do anything to help him in this situation. Keep it up and it won't be long that we won't have any access :-(

a quick question - what size woolly buggers, egg sucking leeches do you guys use ?

thanks

Looks like Monday is the day for me. I'll report back with conditions...can't wait any more!

Streams are still a bit dirty and have good flow. was out this morning hooked 6 landed 4. raining agin this afternoon so there not going to get any better next week should be good.

Was told about 3-4 inches fell in Ohio yesterday. Gauges are up. Looks like I might have to cancel tomorrow. Perhaps things will shape up better for Tuesday.

I was on Elk yesterday. Started on the lower portion around 9:30 and the water was still pretty stained and brown. I was swinging a big streamer but didn't have any action. My buddy caught a large sucker but that was it. We moved up stream around 12:30 and the water was much more clear. It had a nice green tint and was just about perfect IMO. We hooked up on 5 with size 12 and 14 frenchies in pink and purple. One the rain started in the afternoon it didn't take long to start clouding up again. It was pretty yoohoo like when we left at 5:30.

The smolts are in on the upper portions of Elk, just an FYI.

I couldn't believe the walls of ice still lining the banks of the stream in the slower stretches. The lower banks really took a beating from the ice.

I was going to steelhead fish this weekend but decided to hit up some stockie streams and do a little pike and walleye fishing instead. This week should be good on the tribs..

Do the flies used between now and typical fall fishing differ? I've only fished them once during this time of the year.

Fished Saturday.. Elk was still high and muddy, but not blown out, Walnut was stained, had one missed hookset at Walnut, only saw one other hook up the entire time there. Moved over to 16 mile, finally caught one fresh fish by the falls dead drifting a streamer, only fish caught of the trip. I'd think we should be in business if the water warms up a little more and clears a bit, may make one more trip this season.

Slow day on an Ohio trib today. I smell like skunk. Water was up and chocolatey, which I expected given the levels on the big rivers

Beautiful day to be out on the water. Hit a few smaller OH creeks today since all the bigger water was blown out. Did good, went 5 for 7, but I covered a lot of water on multiple streams. Both old and fresher fish mixed in the streams.. Water level and color was perfect.

IMG_1488_zpsf09b6057.jpg

IMG_1517_zps3dac6662.jpg

IMG_1532_zps285fc804.jpg

IMG_1504_zpscb46aadc.jpg

My twins turned 10 yesterday. One of my daughters is a fishing fanatic. She's finally getting big enough to take out on the steelhead streams. She wanted to catch her 1st steelhead for her birthday. She landed 2 before 7:40am yesterday. About 10 minutes after that she was cold and ready to go home. So, we did, but she got her wish. It was a quick fun morning!

Attachments

• 1975202_623364991076821_1291431496549579756_n.jpg
    1975202_623364991076821_1291431496549579756_n.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 3
Awesome!!! Haven't put a fly rod in my daughters hands yet (she turned 5 2 weeks ago). But I'm eagerly anticipating it. What a wonderful memory to share for years!!!!

stal42 wrote:
Awesome!!! Haven't put a fly rod in my daughters hands yet (she turned 5 2 weeks ago). But I'm eagerly anticipating it. What a wonderful memory to share for years!!!!

I think she was 7 when she landed her 1st fish on the fly rod. She has a nice little Echo Gekko 5wt. She is pretty good with that, but the 10' 7wt is too cumbersome for her 49lb skinny mini frame to move line efficiently with. I had to help with the casting, but see is a pro at landing fish on fly gear.

The best part of the morning was some goofy young guy comes and stands right next to us to fish on an otherwise empty creek. She catches her 2nd fish, moved it right over and into the net in about 20 seconds (she really does get it).

The dude that felt the need to stand 20 feet from us catches a fish at right after her that was the exact same size and lets it drag him right in front of us (tromping through the run we're fishing) and on down the creek. All the while he is telling her what a great job she did. I explained to her that there is no reason to fish that close to someone else and that she should continue to control fish well just like she did so they don't run into areas other people are fishing.

If you can't tell, I get irritated when people crowd me when I'm fishing with my kid or even guiding someone with a kid. Hopefully I can teach her not to be rude on the stream. It's so tempting to say something to inconsiderate people, but it's not worth making a scene in front of my little girl. So, I just try to make it a teachable moment for her.

Anyway, you should be able to help your little girl land some stocker trout or even panfish on the fly any time. Kids do really well when they learn to land fish on fly gear prior to spinning gear. Casting just takes time and there is no reason to push it. They get it when they get it. I teach her what I can in time segments she tolerates, and let her walk away when she wants to. I enjoy the time with her and know she may not always be interested in fishing (but of course I hope she will always be my fishing partner).

It takes a lot of restraint to not say something to a guy who would walk in on a kid fishing. I really just don't understand people. I will fish bad water, before I walk in on "better" water that someone else is fishing. Maybe I'm too respectful, but it just don't understand why people feel that need to do that.

I think I'm going to take your advice and go catch some stockies with her locally on a fly rod so she can learn to land them. Up until now, she has only used a small spinning rod but thank fully she has been catching trout for about 3 years (caught her first at age 2) out of the local ponds and lakes. I can only dream of the day that she makes a steelhead trip with me!!!!

Back