Redington or Simms?

Ramcatt wrote:
i have the sonic pros (non zip)
bombproof with a great fit
same ratio of 3 and 5 layer material as simms G4... but with no stitching
half the price... but i don't get to be cool and tell everyone i have simms waders

lol

$400 pair of Simms G3 leaked within a few trips. They are pretty annoying. I bought Simms boots at the same time and they failed within a month. I emailed Simms and asked what I needed to do and they said their boots are not made in US and they don't know how to fix them. Told me to take the to a cobbler. Jesus. Screw Simms.

Redsun has G3's sent them back and Simms lost them, found them, lost them took 6-8 weeks to get them back. Repair seems to have worked.

I'm glad I went with the $100 Frog Toggs instead of Simms.

I'm glad I went with the $100 Frog Toggs instead of Simms.

He's very glad he went with the $100 Frog Toggs instead of Simms.

I was preparing to tear into simms, but my experience with them thus far has been super pleasant.

I got a pair of freestone zip fronts that wore through both inseams within a handful of trips. Called simms today and they were more than willing to make a lateral trade for the gore tex headwaters, and offered me the g3 for the price difference. I refuse to take another pair of the freestones, since they are made overseas with inferior materials, and seem to be poorly designed. They were willing to hear me out and work with me on that.

Unlike jdaddy, my experience with the g3s has been awesome. They are the toughest, most comfortable waders I've owned, and haven't leaked yet. I expect to get a few more years out of them in a backup role. That said, I did aquaseal all of the seams after about two years of use.

I think I am going to go for the g3 convertible at a $100 trade-up.

I used to use cabela's brand waders for years. I was turning them in almost once a year for a new pair usually as they started leaking or to extend my warranty on them as I have been stuck at 13 months and 15 months and lost my as$ on them as they pro-rated the waders. Recently I purchase the LL Bean helix waders and would say they are nice especially for around $300 with a LIFETIME no questions asked satisfaction guarantee. Service has been awesome so far as I ordered a pair on a monday mid day and had them by wednesday with free shipping. Just ordered a pair of the waist high model today and paid for overnight as I need them by friday the latest. Pleasant people to do business with, outstanding return policy.

Knock on wood my Simms freestones haven't leaked yet, so far I am happy with them. Definitly an upgrade over a pair of Hodgmans that I had for 5 years which saw a lot of hard use and several tubes of aquaseal.

I have a pair of Cloudveil 8X waders and a pair of Cloudveil Crystal Creek wading pants. They have performed well, and you can't beat unzipping to relieve in the pants..

I bought a pair of William Joseph wading pants too; they were HORRIBLE for size. The large was big enough for me to get into one leg, but the bootie was about a size 7. They supposedly had issues with one model year (uh, yup!) and will also allegedly be replacing the mis-sized ones with this model year (after four months of back and forth!).

Cloudveil 8X

worst waders... ever

i had something like 3 or 4 pairs... each leaked in the foot
super comfortable, but they couldn't figure out how to make a proper bootie

looks like this will be year #2 of their "break and refocus" from flyfishing

simms. I used to have the philosophy that I can get 2-3 pairs of cheapos for the same price, but I will never go back.
Got a pair of G3s. Next time I might go with the headwaters. Essentially the same except for 3 layers (I think 5 is overkill) in the headwaters and the G3 has some frills (which I like, but not worth the extra 120.00)

One thing i noticed that really sets simms apart from less expensive waders is the quality of the neo bootie. Wears like iron.

Tuna,
be fair and tell everyone how many times you get out! I thought I got out a lot until we communicated on another forum about this. I'm jealous, he fishes more than a pro guide!
The vibram soles, by their very nature, will wear down. If they made them with tougher materials they would be as stiff and heavy as 2x4s. Soles separating etc, again, how many hours have you had on them.

Again, IMO when simms (or other high end gear) leaks or fails the story is told 10 times over, but when a cabelas/bean/frogg togs cheapos do, it rarely makes it past the owner or his/her closest friends. It's human nature.

Customer service issue: I can't comment. I haven't had a problem and needed to send it back.

nymphingmaniac wrote:
simms. I used to have the philosophy that I can get 2-3 pairs of cheapos for the same price, but I will never go back.
Got a pair of G3s. Next time I might go with the headwaters. Essentially the same except for 3 layers (I think 5 is overkill) in the headwaters and the G3 has some frills (which I like, but not worth the extra 120.00)

One thing i noticed that really sets simms apart from less expensive waders is the quality of the neo bootie. Wears like iron.

Aside from the 5 v 3 layers, the difference between the headwaters and the g3 is that the headwaters have a seam on the inside of both legs. The g3 has its seam in the front. This is a major, major difference imo.

As a shuffler, that's a no-go. I would wear through that inside seam within 5-10 trips. It took me 4 to destroy the freestones.

I have the Simms Blackfoot waders and they're great. I've wore them a bunch of times and no leaks, knock on wood.

I'm on my third year with my Simms "Headwaters" waisthighs. They have never leaked and I wear them quite a bit and do a good amount of walking. I did send them back to the company to get the gravel guards replaced. I had wore holes in them from use.They replaced the guards and booties and checked over the entire wader! They repaired several pin holes I did'nt know were there and had them back to me two weeks from the date they received them. It cost me $75. The waders are like new again. I would recommend Simms to anyone. I also have their "Guide" wading boots. They wear like iron. I'm on my third year on those also. I have not had any problem with the Vibram rubber soles wearing down.

JayL,
I didn't know that key difference with the seems. I agree that's important. That pushed me back to the G3 side.

simms by far, great customer service.

the waders are the only thing they sell that is made in the usa

I've had nothing but exceptional experience with Simms customer service. For waders, I've had everything from Reddington Neoprene, Cabelas Breathables, Orvis Breathables, and now Simms. By far Simms have been the best for me. I'm exceptionally hard on my waders due to the nature of some of the streams I fish. I'm brush busting, crossing barbed wire fences and occasionally tripping over it when walking. You'd be amazed at how much of that stuff is in the Midwest. Wisconsin is America's Dairyland after all.

I've had my Simms G3's since 2007. I've fished my butt off in them from PA, MI, WI, CA, CO and they are bulletproof. A lot of my trips are 10 day trips - in them every day for 10-14 hours depending on the time of year and the amount of sunlight available to fish. I had one problem with them, on the protective layer of neoprene on one of the bootfoots. It started coming loose - mainly because I pull on that part to try and get the boot foot off when I have two pair of thick socks when steelhead and salmon fishing. I took them to my shop and they sent them back. Simms replaced the bootfoots, gravel guards and repaired numerous pin holes and seem items I didn't know I had (I wasn't getting wet). Free of charge.

I purchased another pair of G3's to use while they were at repair for a couple of weeks, as I had a trip planned. Love them too. Now I rotate them when I'm on a long trip.

Always turn your waders inside out to dry the inside on long trips. That sweat on the inside is not good. The outside may be wet in the morning around the neoprene, but inside will be perfect.

As for other Simms products, I've had them replace bags when zippers failed, replace wading boots when I've had a problem with them, zingers on jackets replaced. All free of charge.

I firmly stand behind this company. They have been nothing but an exceptional service firm with outstanding products - their waders are top notch.

nymphingmaniac wrote:

I've thought about this argument, too, but what about the times when you find out it's time to change? When the one fails? Carry both? Switch out with wet feet? So that keeps me in the Simms, even though I'd probably get a pair of Patagonias IF they cost a fair piece less than the SIMMS, which they don't. So I won't. And I like a product actually made in USA. My most-used firearms are Browning, and they're from Japan. Most of my rods are of USA manufacture. So little of anything else is. All things being equal, being a proud, patriotic American Liberal, I'll buy USA every time. The fact that they have a long, proven track record AND you can do the isopropyl alcohol spraying trick to check for leaks, which is super-nice!

Syl

Syl,
I respect your patriotism to a point.However life and experience has taught me that all things made here in the USA are not always the best choice for your hard earned dollar.
I drive Toyota 4Runners now, i own two and also i have a Tacoma all three vehicles are four wheel drive.The Tacoma is made or assembled here in the USA, the 4Runners were made and assembled in Japan and still are.After all the heartbreak and wallet bashing American vehicles have given me i switched about 7 years ago..was best decision for me and my wallet, and until American Auto Makers get it throught their head to stop whining about union and material costs and giving themselves fat bonuses for putting out an inferior product and having the audacity to take money from the American People,by the way i was a cconfirmed Chevy/Dodge guy for a long time.
As for waders i don't remember if they were made here or abraod but i got 14 years out of me the first 8 years or so i fished about 150-200 days a year rain or shine or snow.no leaks till about 4 years ago. I have done the Alcohol patch thing works great but we are at a point where i need to get another pair and retire these to that Recycled wader company place and maybe get a wallet made from some of the material.
The Redingtons i had were from the Pre Sage buy out period,don't know if they are as good as the old pair.
I have heard good and bad things about Simms,but i have never been unsatisfied with my windstopper polar fleece guide jacket or denium chambray guide shirts.fit me great and wear even better.My guide jacket is 13 years old and still works and looks great.
I' am leaning between these two Brands because of personal experience . Waders aren't cheap and i havent abused my older pairs they get hung up properly after fishing and the boots set out to dry.I am leaning towards Simms because of my other experiences with them, i also hear that thier boot sizes are a lil on small size so i will have to order a size up i guess.I wear a #13 looks like ill be wearing 14's now.

Back