Paflyfish Jamboree 2016: May 20th - 22nd

I'm gonna make it the weekend at least... hopefully a few days before. This is my first time. Hopefully some veterans will points us in the right direction. Gonna be a party of two... perhaps a third. We are from other side of Williamsport so we are eager to learn this fairly close area and meet some reel cool people

I'll be there Thursday through Sunday. Looking forward to it!!!

I would guess Penns will have a few of these on the water...

Pic of a green drake that hatched a few days ago from the feathered hook site (below)

Attachments

• Coming soon.jpg
    Coming soon.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 3
so i just booked the last tent site and will be there from friday night to sunday. this will be my first time. i just joined the forum about a week ago. haha im really excited to go fishing and meet everyone. Are we going to be fishing all weekend? I saw some of the details of the main page. but with this being my first time just thought i would ask. Also what would be a good time to arrive on friday?

If you wanna fish, best to figure on being on a stream by 7:00 pm at the very latest. Note that from the cg, it's often at least a 30 minute ride to the streams (at the closest), many will be rolling out at 4 or 5 p.m., so if you wanna find partners to fish with before going, be there in the mid-afternoon.

If you don't plan to fish the Friday evening hatches, then social activities will probably begin at 8 or 8:30 p.m. and slowly increase till 10 p.m. or so, by which time most will be there.

My dad and I will be arriving on Thursday and staying till sunday. Looking forward to meeting everyone and helping Swattie teach his class, I will be covering untangling line from all other forms of vegetation and the occasional submerged rock. Hoping to get my pops his first fish on the fly Friday morning since we will be getting in late Thursday.

Roll call. It looks like I may be driving up solo Friday evening, and I don't want to pitch a tent. That was a bit of a disaster a couple years ago. So does anyone who trusts me have a free bed or are there 3 people I trust to pitch-in for a cabin? There are still some available, I have been told.

JackM wrote:
So does anyone who trusts me have a free bed...

I should have said "open bed," I will pay my fair share.

Jack,

I have a primitive cabin with a double bed and 2 single bunks. The top bunk is open for you unless you get a better offer.

JackM
My fishing partner canceled on me so I am looking for someone to split a cabin with... let me know if you're interested. New to the forum and I think it's cool flyfishermen get together like this so I'm pretty eager to go . I met some guys at Sandy Bottom on Rt. 87 a week or so back and they mentioned this forum so maybe I will see yall there

Swattie87 + Wissachicken + Wiss's brother. Tent.

Swattie - Weds PM (too late to fish) through Sunday AM.
Wiss/Brother - Thurs PM - Sunday AM

Does anyone know of a fly shop close to the campground or on the way to one of the streams?

Any help is appreciated as I have never been in hat area.

Here are the some shops in the area near the major streams. Not sure what's on you way.

The Feathered Hook LTD.
516 Main Street
Coburn, Pa. 16832
814-349-8757

Flyfisher's Paradise
2603 E. College Ave.
State College, PA 16801
814-234-4189

TCO Fly Shop State College
2030 East College Ave
State College, PA 16801
814-689-3654

Penns Creek Angler
5540 Weikert Rd
Weikert. Pa 17885
570-922-1053

Spruce Creek Outfitters
4910 Spruce Creek Rd
Spruce Creek, PA 16683
Phone:(814) 632-3071

Anyone with space to pitch a tent or who wants to split a cabin please let me know. I just cant self justify the 150$ to cabin it the weekend alone. I'd split the cabin or I have camping gear, just no spaces for tents left. Let me know, hopefully it'll work out but there is always next time. No worries if not. Thanks

I sent a PM, but for the benefit of others, the CG let me rent a trailer site to pitch a tent on and I had water and electric if I needed it. A little extra cash, but we set up two tents on the site and made it worth it.

The Feathered Hook LTD.
516 Main Street
Coburn, Pa. 16832
814-349-8757

Convenient if planning to fish Penns at Coburn. But if planning to fish at Poe Paddy, it's actually further from Poe Paddy than the campground is.... Good shop, though.

Flyfisher's Paradise
2603 E. College Ave.
State College, PA 16801
814-234-4189

TCO Fly Shop State College
2030 East College Ave
State College, PA 16801
814-689-3654

These two are really close to one another, and both are excellent shops. Both are very minor detours if fishing Spring Creek.

Penns Creek Angler
5540 Weikert Rd
Weikert. Pa 17885
570-922-1053

If you fish Penns from the Weikert/Cherry Run access area, this is convenient. But honestly, that area is like an hours drive from the campground. Not cutting the shop, but it's just set up for people accessing Penns from the east, not the west.

Spruce Creek Outfitters
4910 Spruce Creek Rd
Spruce Creek, PA 16683
Phone:(814) 632-3071

Convenient for those hitting the LJR area.

So, basically, of the famous waters, the one lacking a fly shop is if you are hitting Penns in the Poe Paddy area. Which, from the campground, is the closest way to get on a famous stream. It's 20-25 minutes. But 20-25 minutes of nearly all dirt road through forest and you pass nothing at all regarding businesses and so forth.

There are a lot of lesser famous waters to the south too, and that area kind of lacks a fly shop as well.

I'd split the cabin or I have camping gear, just no spaces for tents left.

I'd echo Jack. Ask if you can pay for a trailer site.

Honestly, the tent area is kind of an afterthought there. It's near a little marsh and when things get wet, it's real soft down there. One year we got totally flooded, my air mattress felt like it was floating with moving water under the tent! Another year, the deluge came before we got there, and they moved all the tenters up to open trailer sites. The trailer sites are pretty amenable to tents, really, and are on higher ground.

Some actually choose to pay a few bucks extra and reserve a trailer site with intent on pitching tents for that reason. I've considered it myself.

It sounds like ... regardless of the direction you are coming from, you will pass near one of those on the way to the CG.

Back