Paflyfish Jamboree 2016: May 20th - 22nd

Keep in mind that, with rain and cooler weather all this week, the hatches may be extended a bit.

Have my tent site reserved. Ready for my first Jam. Looking forward to the casting clinic and fishing Penns for the first time.
Hoping someone can help me pick through my flies to show me what is relevant to the area and hatches. Still don't know half of them by name... lol.
All in all looking forward to a good time and soaking up knowledge from the people around me.

Is it too soon to get weather predictions? :p

I will be there Wednesday until Sunday. I will be tent camping.

Aducker wrote:
Is it too soon to get weather predictions?

I'm guessing rain.

haha. It's way too early, but here's the current leadup and jam time prediction per accuweather.

Saturday - mostly cloudy, 0.25" of rain, mostly overnight into Sun.
Sunday - 0.1" of rain in morning, cloudy
Monday - mostly cloudy & cool, no rain during day, then 0.17" of rain overnight into Tues.
Tuesday - cloudy, warm, and dry
Wednesday - mostly cloudy and dry, sun peeking out now and then.
Thurs - cloudy with a shower or two, then steady moderate rain at night. 0.67"
Fri - cloudy and drizzly. 0.15"
Saturday - cloudy, sun shows in afternoon, then evening t-boomers. 0.52"
Sunday - morning drizzle. 0.03". Turning nice.

I wouldn't put much trust into the exact amounts and timing this far ahead. But I would consider that the pattern will likely hold. Same pattern we're in now, and will be through the next two weeks. Cloudy and frequent light rains. No 4" downpours in one night, though.

I'd assume the low water conditions we have now will be gone. But it probably won't be chocolate milk blowouts, either. And plenty of clouds and drizzle which is good making hatches happen throughout the day instead of concentrated to a few minutes a 0 dark thirty, and keep fish eating all day long. So good for fishing. Not for camping, though.

Worth noting that a pattern change IS in store, starting right around the end of the jam. Next couple weeks after that look largely beautiful. Lots of sun broken up only by the occasional 1 hr t-storm.

pcray1231 wrote:
No 4" downpours in one night, though.

Shoot. Seven Mountains Run fishes best after about 3-4" in one night!

LOL we had 3.5 inches today here. I sure hope this isn't a prelude to the Jam? GG

I'll be attending the Spring Jam for the first time in a couple of weeks. The guys I fish with are pretty hardcore and can be expected to fish from light to dark each day. I've got a bum hip and I'm coming off major back surgery last year and I just can't keep up that pace. So, think of this as a personal ad.

"Old guy with somewhat limited mobility looking to hang with some new friends who know the area and don't mind company."

I can keep up my end of a conversation and will provide libation and cigars. References available.

Capt. Hook, we've reviewed your qualifications and we would like to set up an in-person interview Friday or Saturday at the JAM. bring your best "business" casual. we will provide the entertainment.

is it too early to put together a roll call? maybe a separate thread? include your party count and days staying? just so we can see who is going to be there and when?

Good idea Tim.
Gulf and Moose Tue to Sun.
Don't worry Capt, Moose and I are the Senior Citizens of PAFF. Both of us don't move to fast any more. Sort of half fast. GG

I'll be there Thursday to Sunday, first year for me as well, looking forward to it. Splitting a cabin with Jefferson, maybe more but bit too sure who else. See yinz there.

I'll be joining Moose and GG on Wednesday thru Sunday.
Pretty sure Fishwagen has the same plan in place

albatross wrote:
Aducker wrote:
Is it too soon to get weather predictions?

I'm guessing rain.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/state-college-pa/16801/may-weather/335315

Not bad, but too early to tell for sure. No monsoons predicted; if that holds, the streams should be flowing at a good level.

I will be attending this year for the first time.
I will be a party of one... Looking forward to meeting everyone and lots of good fishing..

Thinking about making it my first visit. I don't know the area well I've been past the camp ground and stayed at Poe paddy a few weeks ago other than that do you guys fish other streams in the area. What can I expect at the CG other than than obvious

Wednesday evening (probably too late to fish though), through Sunday morning.

Yeah we fish others. Spring and Penn's get the most attention. LJR and BFC have contingents as well but are a bit more driving. Lots of smaller streams get hit too.

At the campground you'll find lots of fishermen and disorganized socializing. Be outgoing. Friday and Saturday nights are more organized socializing at the pavilion.

I will be Wed through Sun. Hope to arrive around lunchtime and be streamside by early afternoon

I'm booked with a cabin Friday-Sunday. Murph might be rejoining. Skybay will be coming, but not Grizz.

Sorry forgot to mention I will be there from Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon.

Thanks, Tim and GG. I'll be there Thursday through Sunday so we will have plenty of time for the interview. :-D

Pushing 67 but still think I can run with the big dogs. However, I'm am slowly learning to bring it down a few notches. And, I'm almost bionic these days. I only wish that new parts would translate into catching more fish!

I'm looking forward to the weekend. I'm told it is an excellent time.

Pete-pmelle and Tyger-J55Tyger88 will be staying with me at a cabin instead of their original plan to camp. I believe Tyger is Thur-Sunday. Pete is also although the last I spoke with him, he was ready to leave NOW. ????

Back