Paflyfish Jamboree 2016: May 20th - 22nd

I'm sure you'll make an appearance at the Jam Dave. I need you to abuse Moose since your bigger than him. GG

I've never attended a jamboree or fished Penns Creek so bare with me some lol... It's a 2 hour drive from my house to the camp ground according to google maps. That's completely doable for a day trip. Less than a Erie day trip that I've done many times. I doubt I'd stay by myself or get anyone to commit to going this late so it'd be getting there early Saturday morning, then leaving around 5-6. Would I be able to park at the campground, and introduce myself and what not in the morning? I don't know the area and I'm not expecting anyone to have me tag along, but hopefully someone could put me in the right direction from there. Also, what would be a good time to shoot for to arrive?

A couple things.

1. Yes, you could do that.

2. Why not stay a night? No ax murderers. Friendly bunch of folks, many of which don't know each other well. Assuming normal late May weather, prime fishing hours are about 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. You will find a fishing partner easily, especially if you're there in the morning before everyone makes plans for the day. Prime social hours are 10 p.m. to 1 a.m, where there will be a large gathering at the pavilion, raffles, speeches, fire and food and drink. Get a tent site, or just sleep in the car, or, if you must, book a hotel room in state college.

Most will not be fishing in early mornings due to the late hours kept. Some will fish somewhere late morning through early afternoon, often smaller streams in smaller groups, stop for food and to meet up with others, then head out around 4 or 6 to set up somewhere for the evening hatches. Others won't leave camp till 2 or 4 and go straight to their evening spot, planning on nymphing a while before the hatches get going.

So if you plan on rolling out at 5 or 6, when many will be just starting, you may struggle to find partners. Not cause they won't have you. But just because you're not planning on being there when most are fishing.

But yes, you're plan would allow you to meet people.

The caveat is weather. Cool cloudy weather and high water can move hatches up to midday. Or not at all. In which case many will be nymphing or tossing streamers about during the day with less emphasis placed on evening hatches.

In the spirit of bearing with you...ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND MAN? First, you don't go to Penns Creek in May and leave before dark. Thats just nuts! Do yourself a favor and stay til dark and you will see why.

I'd recommend Beginning your plan by arriving when you intend and spend the day with the gang, if it takes you fishing, so be it. Usually there are afternoon excursions that return before supper and then go back out for dark, or stay til dark.

We've never done this before but I think we should have a white board at the Pavillion for stragglers like yourself looking for a room. Sign up and folks with cabins and an empty bed can vet ya and invite you in if yo meet muster...LOL. Seriously, At worst, you pay for a tentsite in the am and sleep in your car.

Oh yeah, and bring money...lots of money for the raffle Saturday night. J/K

A little bird told me there will be a casting clinic on Saturday at noon.

Sage advice from Pcray and Maurice. No strangers ,just fly nuts you haven't met.
Mo ,good idea about the board. GG

Thanks guys for the advice. I'll talk to the wife and get it figured out this week.

Yep we are have a casting clinic on Saturday at noon. Tim Robinson will be leading the group. So if anyone is looking to improve their casting techniques or just learn more, Tim will be leading the program. More details soon.

I'll be leading the "how to get your fly unstuck from rhododendron" seminar streamside for those that are interested! :p

How much will the Raffle tickets be so I can plan accordingly.
Whats up for Raffle?

724flyfishing wrote:
Thanks guys for the advice. I'll talk to the wife and get it figured out this week.

You could invite her to join you .
I have extra tents if you need them . It only makes sense to stay a night or two .

Some of us never make it to the stream till dusk ????

Where is the thread on hatch guesses?

DRAKES!

Mark my words, they'll be there this year. Even if they're not make sure you stock up on yellow and olive stimies size 16 - 12 that'll cover your caddis and stoneflies. Then make sure you have ausable wulffs from 16 - 10 that covers most your major mayflies. you can bring a few ants or griffth gnats if you want. if you really want to "match the hatch" bring a few Adams in various sizes.

in all seriousness, don't worry about not having the "right" fly. once they get the feed bag on they tend to eat almost anything "buggy".

Looking forward to the casting clinic. I will set a mock up of the PA Casting Comp Course just for fun. We can work on anything you like, as long as you don't mind me sipping a hop-soda during my long, meandering, incoherent explanation. gonna be fun!

can "SOMEONE" create a Facebook Event, maybe?

There is an event up on the facebook page. Has been for a while.

Hatches:

Sulphers, definitely.

March Browns, probably leaning towards definitely.

Drakes, maybe.

Then always a smattering of caddis, stones, BWOs, craneflies, midges.

724, Regarding staying till dark, note, we mean it. It means carry a flashlight or headlamp. When it gets too dark to tie on a fly, you still got a half hour of fishing time left.

MO - DO'OH! just saw it again. I even was already signed up!

P-Cray: March Browns and Sulphurs will be over. We will be into Drakes both Slate and Green.

Oh course, I have no way to predict that. I just like sounding like an expert. I'd say if you bring a good selection of stimies and wulffs you'll be fine. no need to get too technical.

Head lamp or flash light is a must.

Swattie87 wrote:
I'll be leading the "how to get your fly unstuck from rhododendron" seminar streamside for those that are interested! :p

LOL! I should handle that one. I am very good at getting my fly unstuck from vegetation. Lots of practice.

Tim,

Just following reports and comparing to previous years, it looks to me like hatches are 7-10 days ahead of average. If that continued to hold true:

MB's may indeed be over, or at least winding down by jam time.

Probably still a few days early for peak drakes. Though things could be progressing from a small handful of pioneers to fishable hatches, especially in downstream locations.

Sulphers will still be heavy. Especially the smaller dorothea.

They technical key with sulphers, during the hatch, is to be open to using floating nymphs or emergers rather than duns. But spinners are spinners. A rusty spinner in the appropriate size will imitate MB's, or any variety of sulpher.

Back