Paflyfish Jamboree 2015 - May 15-17

FlyForFun wrote:
So what can you tell me about the PA Fly Fishing Jamboree? Im very new to fly fishing and saw this on the Forum and it was mentioned to me by a member (pcray). Seeing how I don't know the area, the streams and I am a rookie would it be worth going? Need to know so I can start working on the Mrs now.

FFF, I went as a rookie last year. I caught my first fish on a dry fly under the direction of one of the members here. Then the rain came and screwed up pretty much everything with the exception of a few Wild Brookie streams in the mountains. So then another member taught me how to catch Brookies in little mountain trickles. I learned a ton, caught some fish and drank some beers. I fished all summer with great success just based on what guys taught me there and reading entomology stuff online. If you have even the slightest desire to go make it happen. Someone will be willing to help you out.

Mario guilted me into not drinking Yuengling anymore because it is non-union. Unless of course someone else is buying.;-)

Seriously though. I switched back to Straubs which I used to drink years ago. I'll likely bring a case if I do make it. Might be Straubs light. I gotta watch my figure you know.

I plan to come and it is looking likely, but plans sometimes change.

Informality at it's best. Great bunch of fellow fishermen who don't seem to know strangers, just some other fly fling er they haven't met. I always have a great time and am looking forward to May.
Dave, you will be there, omelets and jbecue,lol. Straubs beer?
GG

gulfgreyhound wrote:
Straubs beer?
GG

Straub

You better be honest about your age even though they might feel a need to increase the font size for you.

They have been around longer than you.

FarmerDave wrote:
gulfgreyhound wrote:
Straubs beer?
GG

Straub

You better be honest about your age even though they might feel a need to increase the font size for you.

I don't remember in from my college ,drunkin days.
I'll try it, but I'd bet it's a headache in a bottle. Might make a good marinade for some cue? GG

gulfgreyhound wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:
gulfgreyhound wrote:
Straubs beer?
GG

Straub

I don't remember in from my college ,drunkin days.
I'll try it, but I'd bet it's a headache in a bottle. Might make a good marinade for some cue? GG

That from a guy who drinks a strange beer that requires a slice of orange in it?

I have that problem with some beers, but not that one so I'll take that bet. You will like it.

I think I will bring Lager instead of Light. Maybe both.:)

P.S. I get no commission from Straub, but in case they see this, I wouldn't mind some free samples or a hat.;-)

FD the beer with the orange in it wasn't bad, although a 12 pack may hurt bad the next morning. GG in regards to beer for a marinade for my particular version of JBQ, a dark lager would be the choice along with secret spices.
The smoker will be working hard the week of the JAM. L'Chaim

Hey all. A good friend of mine, Les Young, posted a note on Facebook about your get-together in May. I used to fish Pa all the time and this gives me a great excuse to make a road trip and come up your way. Hope you don't mind a southerner coming up to fish your great waters. I am looking forward to this trip and meeting you. See you in May.

Jeff

No one will mind and you are very welcome to attend. It is and always will be free and open to the public. Newcomers become oldcomers.

I should get there a couple of days. With expected work commitment, i think it might end up that i stay Saturday through the following Tuesday, since we have a bunch of things due on May 15th.

I'll be praying that the rain stays away. I liked Black Moshannon but I dont want that to be one of the only options....

(hopefully)This will be my first year going to the jam. From what I gather there is ALOT of beer being drank. I'm not much of a beer guy so I am hoping my homemade brandy and wine will suffice for getting someone to let me tag along and learn alittle?

Also if anyone wants to split a tent site let me know. From the vague rules on the campsites website it appears 2 tents can be used on a site.

I believe you are correct-- two tents per site, but cost is per person so that two tents with 4 people may be slightly more than one site with two tents and two persons. Best to be explicit. Remember you are paying for use of the facilities which is a greater cost per person than by tents even if you cram 8 people into a site.

Sorry, didn't check the board in a while.

So what can you tell me about the PA Fly Fishing Jamboree?

Lots of good people. We basically collect the most obsessed fly fisherman in the state, take over a campground centrally located to the best waters of the state, and at the best time of the year to fish them. And then we all totally ignore fishing in favor of eating, drinking, playing music, generally carrying on, and complaining about the weather. :)

j/k. Sort of. It was well enough explained by others. I'd describe it as a weekend long celebration of the sport. The diversity of people is always interesting. Hillbillies & yuppies, liberals and tea partiers, lawyers and blue collar types. But somehow it works.

Im very new to fly fishing and saw this on the Forum and it was mentioned to me by a member (pcray). Seeing how I don't know the area, the streams and I am a rookie would it be worth going?

You're welcome and yes, it's more than worth it. You'll be on some amazing water, hanging out with a lot of really good fishermen, most of whom would prefer to show a newbie a good time rather than catch a few extra themselves.

Need to know so I can start working on the Mrs now

You should do so. And there is fishing on Friday and Saturday, but if you want to get really hard core into the fishing side of it, show up earlier in the week and stay longer. People will arrive as early as the weekend prior, and by Thursday evening the majority will likely be present. The "party" side of it is kind of the conclusion.

bring your raincoats...I'm probably gonna make it this year...HA!

Well it looks like I will be there afterall. I will be with LV2nymph, Dc410 and Mic. Should be a blast.

GenCon

Cabin booked with Georgia pal Jeff Fields F-Sun. Room for more.

Yes, it's always a good time. Wednesday - Sunday five days of fishing, drinking, eating, and generally carrying on, can't wait. Our cabin awaits...

I'm really looking forward to the jam this year. Heres to hopin' that - fish caught is greater than or equal to beers drank. If not, oh well..... last year was fun too! :-D

Booked the cabin finally. Checking in Friday, May 15th, and checking out Wednesday, May 20th, so if anyone is staying on after the jam, Mon-Wed, hopefully we can hook up and do some fishing.

Cabin Booked for Thurs-Sun. Bringing my boy, my gear and my crockpot. And Beer - can't forget that.

Back