Paflyfish Jamboree 2015 - May 15-17

How did we take this thread to this level?

OK, I admit to be trolling you. "Scrappel" is uniquely PA Dutch. But people have been frying up animal parts unfit for the feature of a meal for a long time over many continents. Some of them have even thrown the remains of the cornmeal box, or the leftover rice or pasta into the mix. Scrappel is nothing more than the reflection of the types of animal scraps and meals that the PA Dutch produced as a by-product of their cooking.

So, you enjoy your scrappel and the Italians will enjoy their polenta and tripe, formed into a loaf.

strap44 wrote:
Is it safe to assume that the campsite books up quickly? In debate over making a reservation or just stopping over for a day. Seems like a good time. Look forward to making it over one way or another.

Hopefully the weather treats that weekend well.

Even as much as the event has grown, you will get a campsite at the last moment, but it will be what is available, as opposed to what you wanted. I rented trailer sites on the date of arrival-- a little more, but I had electric and water available, so I had that going for me. If you want a cabin, book soon.

Growing up with parents from Italy (in NY) and now living in NEPA, I'll take scrapple over tripe (YUCK, BAD MEMORIES) any day. My best buddies live out in Orangeville and bring me fresh scrapple. Love it!
Mike B

Had to google scrapple... Going to try to make it for a couple nights.. Met some great people at the steelhead jam this year and look forward to meeting some more. Are there a lot of tents? I'd rather take that route but mid May who knows the temps and weather... Dont wanna be the only fool in a tent on a rainy 40 degree night..

You won't be the only fool in a tent. Rainy weather makes tenting inconvenient, but not unbearable. If the weather is fair or good, you will be fine. I would bring an extra extra large tarp so you can build an additional rain cover over head.

Mucka there were a good number of guys in tents last year. The only real rain we had was Thursday night, but it was almost of biblical proportions.

Don't worry about sleeping in a tent. Many of us have done it.
And with all of the booze flowing around the campfire at night, you'll pass out - I mean sleep - just fine, regardless of the weather.

With all of this talk about scrapple - have any of yinz tried pudding?
An old fishing buddy of mine - who was from the Harrisburg area - used to always bring some along for our fishing/camping excursions.
And I acquired a bit of a taste for it.
Although if I ever read the label to see what is in it, I'd probably never touch it again

JackM wrote:
How did we take this thread to this level?

OK, I admit to be trolling you. "Scrappel" is uniquely PA Dutch. But people have been frying up animal parts unfit for the feature of a meal for a long time over many continents.

Leave it to the Democrat to determine what is fit and unfit for us.

At one time, ribs were deemed unfit by white people in this country.

Same is true with flank stake.

I love liver (but apparently it is bad for me). Take a look at the prices in grocery stores now. They aren't giving it away.

Then we have the lowly lobster. In the 19th century it was considered garbage or peasant food and often fed to the less fortunate. Many were ground up and used as fertilizer. In Mass they passed a law forbidding it being served more than once a week in prisons. More than that was considered cruel and unusual punishment. Now, watch the look on people faces when someone guys it with their WIC card.

But I'll agree with you that Italian tripe is disgusting even though I never tried it.

The moral of this story is that in general, people suck, and the white people that make the rules are stupid.

Jack, if it rains, you may sleep under my car.

Mucka,

You certainly won't be the only guy in a tent. I will be. And we'll likely have 10+ tents overall.

What I will say.

1. It's on the top of a mountain. Yeah, it gets chilly at night. I've camped in snow before, it's ok, just dress accordingly.
2. The campground is set up for cabins and RV/campers, not tents. The tenting section is rather small, and located in an area that gets really, really marshy when it rains. This one you can't adjust for, it just is what it is.

Last year we got a crazy big rain storm Thursday night. On Friday morning, we were quite literally in the middle of a stream, with current pushing against the side of the tent. Swattie was fishing in my campsite.

Anyway, I'm in for at least 2 nights, hopefully longer...

I set up camp right by the pavilion. I stay up late and sleep through anything and it didn't confront me. I paid for a trailer site and it wasn't much more. It was on high ground and rain was not an issue. Setting it up while intoxillated was an issue, however.

Good to know! I've done more than my fair share of miserable cold wet tent nights... Just don't want to be the only one!.. Should probably get a new tarp that isn't dry rotted too... That was a fun night.
Next question.. Just started tying.. What should I stock the fly box with for that time of year in that neck of the woods?? Still quite the newb and haven't fished that part of the state yet.

Mucka I'll pm you tomorrow about fly ideas. You better come find the Steelhead Jam guys, will be in touch.

Mucka wrote:
Good to know! I've done more than my fair share of miserable cold wet tent nights... Just don't want to be the only one!.. Should probably get a new tarp that isn't dry rotted too... That was a fun night.
Next question.. Just started tying.. What should I stock the fly box with for that time of year in that neck of the woods?? Still quite the newb and haven't fished that part of the state yet.

I've tent camped most of the PAFF jams. It's fine.

Have lots of sulphers: duns, rusty spinners, cripples, emergers, etc. This is the main hatch game at the Jam.

Some March Brown dries might see some use too. Some years there have been Green Drakes but odds are they won't come out to play, but it wouldn't hurt to have a couple in your box just in case.

Big (about an inch) stonefly nymphs are a go-to fly for me if the water is high or there is no surface activity (this is much more likely). Penns and Fishing Creek are crawling with big golden stones.

Thanks! Should be in good shape with the stoneflies- but will have to work on getting some more of the dries together.

Likely for that time of year will be:

Straggling Hendricksons;
March Browns,;
early Green drakes; Cahills.
Sulfers.

The rest I don't care about, but there will be some caddis.

Anyone have an extra spot in a cabin or does anyone want to assemble a group for a cabin with me? I'd like to do arrival on Wednesday depart Sunday.

So what can you tell me about the PA Fly Fishing Jamboree? Im very new to fly fishing and saw this on the Forum and it was mentioned to me by a member (pcray). Seeing how I don't know the area, the streams and I am a rookie would it be worth going? Need to know so I can start working on the Mrs now.

It's an informal, annual get-together in central PA. No schedule, no fee other than the cost you incur to stay at the campground (or wherever nearby), bring your own food. It is usually centered around a campground and folks come and go as they wish - mostly fishing during the day and there is a gathering at a pavilion in the evenings, mainly Fri and Sat night. Beginners are welcome although there is no formal instruction. Folks usually fish together and if you ask some folks nicely (a six-pack of Yingling or some burgers from the grill helps) you should find a group to tag along with since you're unfamiliar with the area.

You can also see re-caps of previous "jams" that describe fishing and fun that was had. Use the Advanced Search function at the bottom of the page. There are also pics in the Photos section as well.Pics of the Jam

Back