Big Spring in Newville

Pa1Fishing

Pa1Fishing

Hey folks I am new to fly fishing and have a few questions. I normally fish the Yellow Breeches and with it warming up, I am looking for somewhere new. I live in Cumberland county. I was up at Big Spring today. I was just checking it out. I know it’s very hard to fish there but I am up for the challenge. Can you wade in there? I was told it was silt and I would sink. Is the fly fishing only area the best spot to fish? Are dry flies the best to use there with all the vegetation? Is fishing better upstream or downstream? Also how is the Letort Spring run? It’s 5 minutes from my house. I have only caught 1 trout on a dry fly so far. I am excited to try for more

Neither Big Spring or LeTort are the best to wade in. The fish are spooky. LeTort in particular you will sink in the silt.

Downstream closer to Newville you have areas that are stocked where the fish may not be as difficult. The FFO section sees a lot of use and the fish are particularly spooky in there.

As far as style of fishing that is all dependent on what you are looking to accomplish and time of year. This time of year might be best for terrestrial patterns. Additionally if you want to nymph look for small midge patterns and simple shrimp/scud styles can be productive.

I can’t offer much on LeTort as I’ve fished it only a few times in my life and have had little success (other than the sinking in the silt suggestion).

I like Big Spring. I have never fished the LeTort. Given both streams reputations, don't go hard on yourself if you take a skunking at either one. I wouldn't call either of them beginner level streams.

I have waded and caught fish on Big Spring. I have stalked the bank and caught fish on Big Spring. Do not just start casting. This is careful wading, careful fishing. Casts need to be accurate and placed well. You cannot false cast over and over and slap the water with bad cast after bad cast. That will equal spooked trout, no doubt.

I would suggest a fairly long leader, say 12- 15 feet, and tapered down to at least 5x, but 6x or 7x would be better. Delicately toss dries and put good casts on the water, and you might have a chance.

If you are newer to FF, Big Spring and Letort may not be for you (yet). Cold water but highly technical even for experienced anglers. You have options in Shippensburg and Chambersburg that are a little more forgiving, but still not easy. Were it me, I would look into the two areas I mentioned and bring some #14 Foam Beetles with you.

How much is the YB warming up below the Children's Lake outfall? It may not be an ideal fishery right now, but the spring bubbles keep the water pretty cool in the main stream down to the theater. You may be able to find cold water at Clarks Creek - if there's a fishable level below the dam. Clarks is across the big river from you so it's a decent drive from the Carlisle area. (Also, several contributors to this forum don't really like it.)

Big Spring and Letort are both a PITA to fish. Very specialized kind of fishing. Certainly not the place for a beginner to have an enjoyable experience. Fish the Breeches when temps are better or better yet fish the Conodoguinet with a streamer for bass etc. this time of year.

Back