PAFF Annual Spring Jamboree 2010

im pretty sure im coming down for the first time this year. what lenght and wt rods would you recommend. i have a 8'6" 5 wt and im going to buy a 9' or a 7'6 4wt. i also have a 9' 8wt for steelies but thats tomuch rod for trout. is there any native streams in the area?

bowhunter0131 wrote:
im pretty sure im coming down for the first time this year. what lenght and wt rods would you recommend. i have a 8'6" 5 wt and im going to buy a 9' or a 7'6 4wt.

I prefer a 9' 5wt, but those are fine.

is there any native streams in the area?

More than you can count.

Seeing that the JAM is 8 weeks away, a list of flies needed would be a good idea for those attending the JAM. I have only attended once so I'm not the best reference but having a list and time to tie is always nice.

I'll start with my limited knowledge.

2 big hatches should be sulphurs and march browns. Sulphurs in sizes 14-18 and March browns around size 12. Spinners (rusty or matching pattern) in each size will be good for the spinnerfalls. Scuds and cressbugs for the limestoners and your favorite dry for the brookie streams. And for Jay... large articulated streamers to hook a monster brown in Penns.

BWOs will be hatching as well. The reason I mention this is because the trout on spring were taking BWO duns instead of sulphur duns. When the sulphur spinners came, the fish switched to them. It was frustrating, because the BWOs weren't obvious.

I think I counted five simultaneous significant hatches on Penns in late may last year.

Early terrestrials will be present. So will golden stones on penns, bfc, and some others.

At least one day will probably see high, off color flows. It's a rainy time of year, and thunderstorms are common. Sculpins, slumpbusters, articulated streamers, etc are all effective. They cannot be too large.

Here's my favorite hatch chart:
http://thefeatheredhook.com/stream.html

The Feathered Hook's hatch chart matches my recollection that the March Browns on Penns were huge, easily size 10. Otherwise Ryans list will get you pretty far.

Like JayL, I've had luck with big streamers during the jam in high water conditions (an all too frequent occurence).

thanks for the hatch ideas i will have to stock up on march browns and bwos i dont tie so i will have to buy them. anyone have any places that sell them ie websites. most of the shops around here dont carry many mostly carry steelhead flies. i have a few of each pattern but want to hhaave enough for the weekend. thanks

You can stop at the feathered hook on your way to the jam, right in bustling downtown coburn, it's on the way. jonas will set you up with what you need.

ok that will work how late is he open on friday it will be prob 6 or 7 before i make it down there its a little over 3 hrs i think from here going to try to get out of work early. are all the guys at the jam pretty cool about showing people the area i have never been in that area.

Yeah I would also like a little direction on where to fish and how to get there from the campground also. We should be arriving at the campground around noon or so and after we set up, we would like to go fish for awhile.

Will L.

http://www.thefeatheredhook.com/

MotoLappa wrote:
Yeah I would also like a little direction on where to fish and how to get there from the campground also. We should be arriving at the campground around noon or so and after we set up, we would like to go fish for awhile.

Will L.

Moto

At the morning coffee everyone figures out where their going, so you can hookup with someone and either go with them or follow.

You guys that want to buy flies, I would wait till I got to the flyshop shop in Coburn and see Jonas, he's good man and he'll help you out, with the local stuff!

PaulG

Very true. I'm friends with one of his primary tyers and he ties every fly version imaginable.
Now I'll never admit it to my friends face but, hes got nuttin' on Festus. :)

Now I'll never admit it to my friends face but, hes got nuttin' on Festus

By the time you and Karl P get done with it, ol' CDC won't be talkin at none of us LOL:)

Squaretail wrote:
Very true. I'm friends with one of his primary tyers and he ties every fly version imaginable.
Now I'll never admit it to my friends face but, hes got nuttin' on Festus. :)

Dan

My friend and the guy who ties my flies for me, ties for Jonas, his name is Todd... by chance the same guy? When you go in checkout the orange ants, he ties those and others!

PaulG

No, but is this Todd you speak of maybe around my age but heavier and very pleasant to talk to? If so he tore his achilles tendon badly fishing and is barely hoping around if you didnt know.

Dan

Sounds like him, I forgot to ask him how he done it!

PaulG

Dan

Sounds like him, I forgot to ask him how he done it!

PaulG

"You guys that want to buy flies, I would wait till I got to the flyshop shop in Coburn and see Jonas, he's good man and he'll help you out, with the local stuff!"

and he has the best front porch to hang out on if nothing's hatching! not to mention all the eye candy inside! I drool over the bamboo rack.

sounds like he has a nice shop i will def have to check it out on the way down. im getting more and more excited every day. i have been wanting to fish the spring for a long time hope to hook into at least one of them big brown. i have never caught one over about 13". from the sounds of it there is the possibilty for one a lot bigger than that. hopefully we will have nice weather.

So I was on Hemlock Acres website checking things out. Honey wagon service kind of caught my eye. Apparently it means a whole lot different that what I thought they offered. Guess there will be no wagons filled with some honeys around while we are at the Jamboree. Lol. Seriously, I didnt know what that was.

Back